Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dungeon Bowl

Hmm... I may pick this up come pay day, as Bright College are already included. The Blighter's can field a team quite happily with that. Shame there's only three colleges though.

Edit: Oh, it's only a tenner? Go on then. Anyone fancy a game tonight?
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 14-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Network Hub
    I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what it's like when it's fleshed out more but I'm leaving it in it's current state.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Prancing Peacocks (Rainbow College, me) vs Middenheim Mashers (Bright College, Drawlien)

Rainbow College: wood elf/halfling/human
    Bright College: human/dwarf/norse
    Arena: "Doom" by Cyanide

Doom is a bit of an oddball of a pitch, asymmetrical with wide corridors and open rooms with trench-like pits scattered about. Six chests and six teleporters.

My Peacocks were built with the passing game in mind, fielding 4 throwers - 2 human and 2 wood elf - to move the ball around quickly and freely within the dungeon. The rest of my lineup was 2 wardancers and 2 wood elf catchers, plus a bunch of halflings to fill out the ranks.

My plan going into this game was to field all the throwers in my starting six, rush the chests and hopefully seize the ball and score before drawlien had brought enough defence onto the field to stop me. My wardancers would remain in reserve until the ball had appeared, or the number of remaining chests had dwindled, my catchers would stay in the dugout until the all was in play and preferably in my hands. In the meantime I'd bring out halflings every turn for chest fodder and defence.

Drawlien's side was certainly bashier than mine. His norse allotment had been spent on beserkers an dhe was fielding several human blitzers and dwarf blockers. When I saw his line-up I knew I wasn't going to win in a fight, so I was completely dependent on the speed and agility of my players.

The match didn't exactly go according to plan.

I quickly reached several chests, but since opening a booby-trapped one results in an explosion and a turnover it as not a simple matter to search them all. Drawlien caught up quickly, knocking a couple of my elves out in the process and gaining a decent numbers advantage. This was partly my own fault for splitting my team up too much at the start.

To compound matters, drawlien soon found the ball in a chest deep in his half of the arena. From there he could easily form a loose cage and march towards my end zone while I was still trying to recover manpower. I would have to resort to some desperate measures to stop him.

After positioning several players nearby, I scooted a halfling into the middle of drawlien's cage to open up one of the remaining, and assuredly booby-trapped, chests. The resulting explosion stunned the halfling but KO'd two of drawlien's players. My turn was immediately over, but hopefully drawlien would not be able to gain too much ground before my next one.

I also started shifting my elves through the randomised teleporters to try and land behind darwlien's team and surround his cage, while my halflings hung back around my end zone fending off his catchers and blitzers who had come ahead of the cage.

Unfortunately for me drawlien's advance continued unabated, as I could not move enough of my guys into the path of his cage to break it. One of my wardancers badly hurt herself in a failed leap and one of my throwers was left exposed to a push into a nasty spiked pit, fortunately escaping serious injury.

Shortly after, drawlien had a clear path to victory. Game over for me on Turn 7.

Peacocks 0 - 1 Mashers

A surprisingly bloodless matchup, and the game clearly still has some issues. We were stuck on 2-minute turns for one, and I had a (failed) Leap move cancelled on me when my turn time ran out for another. Still, it was as lot of fun and I look forward to playing again. :)

---

I have been boshing around with dungeon ideas since I bought this game. Here are a couple:

This asymmetrical sewer-like level resulted from a desire to have a desire to make a map that involved navigating lots of pillars and grew from there.

This is an attempt to create a map which involves an island accessible only by leaping, teleporters, etc. It's a bit basic looking right now as I am still fiddling with the dimensions of the map.

(Apologies for typos etc. I'l proofread this properly in the morning.)
    Last edited by Screwie; 15-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Network Hub
    There are spaces to be leaped for agility teams, are there some things to be bashed up? (like thin walls)

Good write up Screwie!

I found Dungeonbowl (from now on DB) to be pretty good fun, a nice change of pace from BB. It turned out to be more tactical than I had feared and was a nice quick game for playing of an evening (I think the match lasted less than an hour).

My plan for the game was to start with 2 Dwarf Blockers, 2 Human Blitzers, a Human Thrower and a Norse Blitzer. Players would move around in pairs for mutual support - the 2 dwarfs would hang around guarding the end-zone whilst the 2 human blitzers would head one way and the thrower and norse blitzer the other. As new players were added to the dungeon they would either join one of the ball seeking groups or react to the situation as best they could due to their placement.

This worked out pretty well - as Screwie mentioned I fairly quickly found the ball with the Thower-Blitzer group who had subsequently been joined by a human catcher. The 2 blitzer group was able to quickly redeploy in support due to their good movement characteristic and I fairly steadily moved towards the endzone, bashing elves and halflings on the way.

Due to the lack of blood and not risking any passes with Elves around I only got 8 SPPs from the match. This may be the biggest downside to DB compared to BB - teams will be pretty slow to level so you won't get quite as much satisfaction from building a skilled team. Still, I'm hoping to get a couple more games under my belt over the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    There are spaces to be leaped for agility teams, are there some things to be bashed up? (like thin walls)
    No destructible objects, as far as I'm aware. But bashy teams can be pretty mean near spaces and hazards anyway.

This looks interesting. I might pick it up at some point.

It seems like frenzy would be really good at getting players into places they don't want to be.

It's a shame about the slow leveling, but a highly skilled team might unbalance a lot of the dungeon configurations.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Looking forward to some more writeups, perhaps I'll be gettin it.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Screwie and I played another game of DB over the weekend. Another enjoyable match which lasted rather longer than the previous one. It seems the choice of Dungeon can have quite a big impact on how the game plays out.

This time we played on a rather large Dungeon which required quite a bit of use of the teleporters for tactical redeployment. Also there was a lot more bashing in this game compared to the last. Screwie got the ball first and was moving nicely towards the end-zone but I managed to get a load of players in the way and knock the ball out of the Wardancers hands.

I got the ball with one of my players but he only had one or two team mates in support. I got rather lucky with the random teleports which meant I was able to get a pretty good loose cage around him. Screwie's teleports didn't go so well and by the time I had got to the end-zone there was only a single halfling left on his team which couldn't do much to stop the TD.

Biggest lesson learnt in this match: Magic Sponge (which allows you to revive K.O.'d and BH'd players) only has a limited number of uses.

Thanks again for the game Screwie!

Quote Originally Posted by drawlien View Post
    Biggest lesson learnt in this match: Magic Sponge (which allows you to revive K.O.'d and BH'd players) only has a limited number of uses.
    Well either that or there is some other, inadequately-explained, limiting factor. Jervis Johnson's old DB rules don't put a limit on Sponge use, but at the end of the match I had plenty of healthy people in my dugout but couldn't sponge any of them into my reserves box.

One thing that springs to mind is players who are ejected from the dungeon by a bad teleporter roll - this is called "lost in space" in the rules and they are out for the remainder of the match. Maybe I just clocked up a lot of those in our match?

Other things I want to try in my next game, to see if they've been taken from Jervis' rules: leaping over obstacles, and throwing the ball over obstacles...

I still haven't actually read the rules - what is special about the leaping and throwing over obstacles? Is it you have to pass a 2+ like doing stuff near a fiery pit?

Similar to that yes.

Precarious footing comes into play if you try and block, pass or catch/intercept while adjacent to a hazard, and on a roll of a 1 you fall in instead.

When a ball is thrown over an obstacle, a dice is rolled for each square of obstacle it flies over. On a 1, it hit the obstruction and scatters.

When jumping over an obstacle you fail on a 1 also. This one I'm particularly interested in - whether or not this means every player has what is a sort-of Leap skill (versus obstacles only, but better than an AG roll for most people) in the video game or not, I don't know yet.

Been a while since we talked about this but the first chunk of DLC has arrived for Dungeonbowl - a bundle adding the Grey team (Chaos/Human/Ogre) and the Jade team (Goblin/Orc/Troll). Price is £3.99.

Finally nice to see some variety, although shame it is at added cost. Should be interesting to see the first seriously bashy team enter the game, though (and chainsaws!).

Note also that Cyanide have swapped the Humans and Chaos in the Grey side - giving the team access to far more bash than the admittedly outdated rules intended. They did this earlier with one of the base teams to allow more Dwarf.

Oh and the Jade team isn't working right either - surprise!

Unless the Trolls tertiary selection doesn't have Loner, it might as well not be there - since Cyanide restricts you to two Loners on a team and the roster has no shortage of Troll positions!

If the Trolls are intended to have Loner (and therefore be pointless), it's still bugged as the Orc Troll doesn't count towards the limit, thus allowing three!

*grumble*
    Last edited by Screwie; 30-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.