Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Okay, I've already said that I can see the valid complaint that the game is not the easiest to get into, but some the complaints just sound silly now. You play as a marine for a few rounds and just follow orders. There are a few "what the fuck should I be doing moments" at first, but "press e on the blue outlines" and "shoot the aliens" should get you by until you learn the ropes.

I'm increasingly worrying not about the state of gaming, but of the actual gamers, particular those that play and write about them for a living!
    The current 'generation' of younger gamers is so inept at gaming ... This is what happens when games that challenge the player are outnumbered 100 to 1. by games that don't
    Last edited by Finicky; 13-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Had a brilliant game earlier, went on for over an hour, went 2-3 hives to 2 comm stations for most of the game, trading now and then. Some big exo rushes where shut down by sneaky flanking onos play. Our commander was new, but gave it a good shot, listened to any suggestions, and pretty much everyone was pulling their weight on both sides. Even though we eventually lost, it's probably one of the best games I've played so far.

On an unrelated note, they really need to get some performance improvements. Aiming gets pretty hard in late game when my frame rate drops into the 30 range.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Was working together with another player earlier (I bait, he pounces) and we kept choosing the side with the least marines and succeeding in these bait and ambush tactics over and over again.
    There is nothing even remotely as satisfying as this kind of cooperation against human players.

You feel like putting on a lab coat and taking notes as you watch the behavior of the other players as they search for you or you trap/corner/lure/ambush them. Heads get munched and high fives ensue all around.

We ambushed one guy right before the end of the game (me under a walkway grate, teammate on the ceiling) who took the bait and triumphantly toggled his flashlight at me because he saw me, right before my teammate pounced on his head.
    He giggled just as hard as we did a minute later in the waiting room because we startled him so badly.

So many memorably moments.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Gamespot posted their new review.
    http://www.gamespot.com/natural-sele...eview-6399998/

80 overall, although metacritic has yet to update their score (still shows a 60 from Gamespot)

It's a much better review. The reviewer actually uses some in game lingo and you can tell he played it. Obviously it's more favorable, but I think it's also more fair.

edit: might be notable that NS2 scored the same as CODBLOPS2 on GS
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 14-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Being up high in the Crevice while parasiting 3-4 marines is great. Only doing 10 dmg a shot but the interesting part is watching how they react. Flashlights going off and on, shooting into the vent. Some jumping around. Ducking behind the extractor that just finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Being up high in the Crevice while parasiting 3-4 marines is great. Only doing 10 dmg a shot but the interesting part is watching how they react. Flashlights going off and on, shooting into the vent. Some jumping around. Ducking behind the extractor that just finished.
    I actually had a hilarious moment the other day on Summit in the same place.

I went lerk and perched myself high up against a rock over the chasm, opposite where the resource node is. Marine's main base was in atrium, and they had solidified crevice with an observatory and a couple of sentries. I started attacking the sentry battery and the obs with my spikes.

Within a few minutes, a squad of marines come over and begin looking around for the source of the damage. They check the vent and the area above them, but not one of them thinks to look across the chasm!

They couldn't find me, so they ran back to base to get a welder. They come back and start welding, then I start peppering them instead of the structures. They're frantic now, welding each other and spinning around looking for me, then two more marines come along to help in the search. It's at this point they must have asked the commander for more help, and he starts scanning crevice like crazy, trying to find where I am; but I'm out of range of both the scans and the observatory!

I must've tied them up for a good ten minutes before they decided to move on, at which stage we were in prime position to win the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The new gamespot review explains the game pretty well to potential new players.
    The 'onos op' whine is a typical rookie complaint though, this is the most balanced game I've ever played by FAR.
    The textures thing is just something he made up to have something negative to say about the graphics I suppose... the game sure has a lot better texture quality than most console ports.

Also not sure why they keep painting the learning curve as a negative... the super elaborate learning phase of NS2 is incredibly rewarding and fun and probably the best part of the game outside of competitive teamplay.

The only 6 maps complaint is not fair either, there are free official new maps coming (no paid dlc) and the mod support means there 'll be dozens of good maps added over the years. Not to mention each map has enough variety in gameplay to last for months.

Figures they'd still give it a mediocre score (yes, it's even sadder than an 8 is a mediocre score in gaming press), scoring it higher than cod or halo would probably piss off their advertisers.
    Such little emphasis on gameplay in game scores these days...

I agree, the learning curve is one of the greatest things about NS2. I still haven't set foot in either side's commander's chair. I barely know what I'm doing as a Lerk! Basically I've got playing infantry marines down, skulk and gorge. And honestly I've never even used the Skulk's 3rd ability... I haven't really seen it researched very often. It's like a suicide bomb, right?

So it's true there's a steep learning curve, but it's not like you have to understand all the details in order to enjoy the game. Anyway, I'm preaching to the choir here.

I'm sure it depends on taste, but I find that with "atmospherics" and "bloom" turned OFF the game looks great. It's almost like turning up everything to on/high will cover the game in this dense Dishonored fog. I guess that's cool for some, but the lighting in NS2 looks great with those options off and AO high.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wouldn't know what the game looks like with bloom on:p That option goes off the first time I start up any new game.

The graphics are objectively awesome because they don't mess with your vision and are designed around being functional gameplay wise.
    There are no shitty lens flares, no blur, no strawberry jam in your eyes, enemies never blend in with their surroundings when they aren't supposed to.
    They deserve so much kudos for managing this, you can blend in as skulk in the dark, but the moment a flashlight shines at you or you move or the light comes on you are there clear as day, no looking for/losing enemies in the garbled blurry poorly contrasting mess background that you'd get in battlefield 3 or crysis2. No need for triangles above people's heads to be able to see them here.

Contrasting enemies and surroundings seems to be a lost art that only valve and these guys still master.

Just finished my nightly session.
    I've never played an online FPS-like with this much cooperation. This game is best with a microphone, it's almost a required peripheral. Although you can probably do okay without one, as long as you listen and type quickly. It's great that it's not a huge AAA title, because the community is really tight and welcoming. There are always assholes, but in NS2 they are outnumbered greatly by friendly players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    This game is best with a microphone, it's almost a required peripheral. Although you can probably do okay without one, as long as you listen and type quickly.
    Unless you want to command. Seriously, I hate when commanders are dead silent, I can divine something useful to do most of the time, but co-ordinating those big rushes or scrambling to defend is completely impossible without someone nattering at the team to pull together. Most people ignore the chat, especially in combat, and generally just having someone provide good focus is essential. Regular guys can get along just fine without chat, especially gorges or fades, but for commanding its essential.

Ooh, new patch.

Changelog.

Apparently some people over at the UWE forums did some digging and there's a tiny amount of unmentioned balance changes in this patch; namely that the healing rates of both crags and the regeneration upgrade have received a buff.

Interesting, as I've kind of dismissed regen as an upgrade choice; usually I go with carapace. Improved regen might make for a better harvester-chewing skulk or a self-sufficient fade.

Nice, I'm getting points as a Gorge now! :)
    Not noticing an improvement in frame rate, but it's been pretty smooth anyway. Lately I've been in alien vision more than not, actually, which is a nice counter to the exo's framerate bomb or whatever it is they do.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    New patch is out.

Some loading time improvements, small balance changes, bug fixes, slight performance fix for those suckers who use bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    New patch is out.

Some loading time improvements, small balance changes, bug fixes, slight performance fix for those suckers who use bloom.
    Bloom makes the lava look great. :p

it makes the air look like soup

I loved the original when I was kid and really want to play NS2, but my gaming rig is having trouble keeping up with the times. I know there are some people who said the game was pretty taxing, but I'm wondering if that's still the case with everything turned to low (I hate most fancy lighting effects and things like that anyway, so playing a game on low settings isn't a big deal for me).

For now, I'm stuck playing on a (lower) mid-end laptop until I can save the money for a new pc. Can I risk buying it or should I just not bother trying? Is there any form of demo or trial available (I'm guessing no since it's a multiplayer only game)

Bork, can you post your specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bork Titflopsen View Post
    I loved the original when I was kid and really want to play NS2, but my gaming rig is having trouble keeping up with the times. I know there are some people who said the game was pretty taxing, but I'm wondering if that's still the case with everything turned to low (I hate most fancy lighting effects and things like that anyway, so playing a game on low settings isn't a big deal for me).

For now, I'm stuck playing on a (lower) mid-end laptop until I can save the money for a new pc. Can I risk buying it or should I just not bother trying? Is there any form of demo or trial available (I'm guessing no since it's a multiplayer only game)
    No demo at the moment that I know of. Keep your eyes peeled for a Steam free weekend though; I'd say there will almost certainly be one at some point.

I don't know what your specs are, so I can't compare, but I'm running NS2 on a Dual Core 3Ghz and Radeon 4890 and I'm getting a decent framerate. I too, have knocked most of the graphics settings down, but I do this with all my games anyway.

Now that the game's released, Unknown Worlds seem to be focusing more on performance than features, so I think we can expect more optimization as time goes on. For example, yesterday's patch has increased my performance by a few FPS already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Still it would be nice to release Multiplayer Demo with one map,something like BF2/2142 had back then.