Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    yeah but Battlefield had a hundred times the resources of NS2. They will surely do a free weekend, but putting together a demo is probably not possible at the moment.

It is a bit hard to gauge ACTUAL system requirements because NS2 isn't built in any engine we are familiar with. The only game using that engine is NS2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Hm,never thought making demo can be difficult :D Otherwise free weekend sounds also good,maybe even better :P

Well yeah, making a demo requires some work. The team behind NS2 is surprisingly small (in the teens, I think?) and there's no one free to work on putting together a demo. Also I believe their sales expectations were pretty low, so they feel like they're doing okay without a demo. But that said, they have expressed interest in a free weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Bork, can you post your specs?
    -Intel Core I5 2.26Ghz
    -ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    -4 GB ram
    -Windows 7

I think the clock speed of my cpu might be a bit low, but I should be able to overclock it a bit if I slap together some sort of cooling device mad max style.

Edit: If I missed any specs you want to know about feel free to ask for them.
    Last edited by Bork Titflopsen; 16-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Thats not bad at all,i think you could run the game on medium with decent resolution.

Yeah, like I said I don't know the engine very well, but it doesn't seem overly demanding for that system, Bork.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/for...=160&start=160

Check out this thread for maybe a free copy. They sell a four pack on Steam, so it's likely a lot of players have an extra copy they might be willing to give or trade.

edit: (already double posted, so this goes in here)
    That original Gamespot reviewer that gave NS2 a 60 has apologized on his blog:
    http://millioneigher.wordpress.com/2...nce=c784fc18b2

I failed in my duty to write something free of errors, and Natural Selection 2, it goes without saying, deserves better than that. To the development team, especially in light of Metacritic’s refusal to alter the score, I can only ask for your forgiveness.
    There's actually some really good stuff in the comments of that blog post.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 16-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Still it would be nice to release Multiplayer Demo with one map,something like BF2/2142 had back then.
    Yeah , the bf1942 wake island demo is (dead serious) what made the game popular.
    Bf1942 was a slow starter, didn't really get that high review scores (7 and 8s) but it just kept on growing and growing over the first year because the demo with wake island sold people on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork Titflopsen View Post
    -Intel Core I5 2.26Ghz
    -ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    -4 GB ram
    -Windows 7

I think the clock speed of my cpu might be a bit low, but I should be able to overclock it a bit if I slap together some sort of cooling device mad max style.

Edit: If I missed any specs you want to know about feel free to ask for them.
    Ouch that gpu is really weak, I have no idea how the mobile intel cpus compare to the desktop parts clock for clock.
    It's low clocked and only a dual core and the game is fairly demanding on the cpu. You'll probably be allright on low settings at 1280x900 or something gpu wise, but don't expect more than 30 fps with that cpu.

Don't you have a desktop pc at all? Anything better than a 3ghz c2duo + slap in a 50 euro second hand hd5770 and you'll have a ten times better experience in any game.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/for...=160&start=160

Check out this thread for maybe a free copy. They sell a four pack on Steam, so it's likely a lot of players have an extra copy they might be willing to give or trade.

edit: (already double posted, so this goes in here)
    That original Gamespot reviewer that gave NS2 a 60 has apologized on his blog:
    http://millioneigher.wordpress.com/2...nce=c784fc18b2

There's actually some really good stuff in the comments of that blog post.
    Isn't that guy the same 'reviewer' who didn't even play SMNC at all (which was a pretty good teambased indy dota like shooter) and wrote some shitty review about it in the form of a recipe. It read like a writing assignment of some elementary school kid.

edit: it was MNC , here is the review: http://www.1up.com/reviews/monday-night-combat-review
    This clown has a track record of not playing games he is supposed to review, why does he have a job?
    Last edited by Finicky; 17-11-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Haha yeah I saw that review after this fiasco with the NS2 review. I don't know what keeps him getting freelance gigs, I guess just putting up copy.

There's a Tychosomething (maybe PA's Tycho?) with some solid gold comments on that apology blog.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Haha yeah I saw that review after this fiasco with the NS2 review. I don't know what keeps him getting freelance gigs, I guess just putting up copy.

There's a Tychosomething (maybe PA's Tycho?) with some solid gold comments on that apology blog.
    I'm in awe at how that tycho guy can be so patient and stay nice while he spells it out to this clown:\
    Eventually this 'reviewer' just admits he knocked the game because he (literally) thinks it isn't accessible and mainstream enough, and that the cod crowd wouldn't like it.

SMH...

I continue to be amazed at how he sees such a satisfying and rewarding learning curve as something that should be avoided, ten years of babbys first fps has really done a lot of damage.

Pearls to the swine.

Personally I never played ns1 because I was a fool back then, so I went into ns2 as a proper rookie.
    I had a blast from the very first moment and learning the ropes is an interesting and rewarding process. Your first successful skulk ambush and bait, first onos encounter, first beacon forcing, first cutting off of a cyst line, first power down at marine spawn, first extractor snipe etc etc are all exciting and memorable moments, each of them make the game click more and more.

60 hours /played time in and I'm still learning every match, there are still new memorable scenarios unfolding and there are countless hours of attempting strategies and learning new maps ahead once I do master the playstyle of every lifeform and weapon. (then probably another several dozen hours learning alien and marine commanders then endless practice doing micro and improving apm)

Imagine being the creator of such a rewarding game and learning curve and seeing it go to waste on a pleb like that who shits on your life work (10 years in the making) and who in this disgusting industry actually has a tangible influence on how many people will dignify your efforts.
    Last edited by Finicky; 20-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Don't you have a desktop pc at all? Anything better than a 3ghz c2duo + slap in a 50 euro second hand hd5770 and you'll have a ten times better experience in any game.
    No I haven't at the moment :( I'm saving up for a new one!

Anyway, I just bought the game, figured I played the original so much I'll think of it as a donation in the case it didn't work out.
    It's running well enough to play on the marines' sides, but I'm having trouble biting people as a Skulk.

It's a shit-ton of fun regardless though, I'm just making sure I'm no detriment to my team in any way when I'm having issues ingame.

For me biting is easier if you use alien vision (F)
    It makes the soldiers glow orange and it's easier to keep them in your 'sights' for biting. Don't just hold down the mouse button (to keep chomping) but aim and take bites when you're about to run into the soldier. It takes practice, but you will get better as you try more.
    Just keep moving around a lot. When the marine reloads start focusing more and moving around less. Try to get a good bite in and retreat, rinse, repeat. It's way easier when you can get another skulk to help you out.

RPS put up a WIT on NS2. It's the best review of the game I've seen yet (not surprised)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It makes the soldiers glow orange and it's easier to keep them in your 'sights' for biting. Don't just hold down the mouse button (to keep chomping) but aim and take bites when you're about to run into the soldier. It takes practice, but you will get better as you try more.
    Just keep moving around a lot. When the marine reloads start focusing more and moving around less. Try to get a good bite in and retreat, rinse, repeat. It's way easier when you can get another skulk to help you out.
    I find bouncing about and circling the marine works well.

The advice about the reload is particular good to remember though. I had a game a few days ago where the marines were on their last base and pushing out with a large force containing a couple of Exos that actually looked pretty nasty. I managed to sneak into their base and start munching on their power node, whilst they were on the other side of the map. It was close to going down when the commander decided to hop out of the chair and deal with me. I danced around and got a bite or two, but he scored a couple of hits on me, so I ducked behind a pillar, barely alive. That was when I heard the reload noise. I dived out and start noshing on sweet marine arse. Back on the power node that quickly went down. Resulted in a very satisfying win (and much swearing from the opposing team.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RE: Skulk bites, it might be worth turning down the mouse sensitivity, so you don't spin past them.

Also, you get a nice speed boost when hopping down from a wall or ceiling, essential for closing on marines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another good thing to try is to let the marine see you and burn his clip or at least half of it while you skitter around on the walls or back around a corner.

Lesser Hivemind Node

RPS put up a WIT on NS2. It's the best review of the game I've seen yet (not surprised)
    Yeah, not holding down the mouse button is the best tip you can give to a skulk.
    The hit detection works really well (sometimes you come across a server with a lot of bandwidth choke or high packet loss and then it is shit, but that is that server's fault not the game's).
    Once you start timing your bites it just clicks in a way comparable to figuring out recoil/headshots in cs 1.x clicks. You consistently get rewarded (and punished for fucking up).

Bouncing off walls will buy you valuable magazine emptying time (you should never charge at marines to begin with though) and if you are good at wall jumping you can stay alive against even enemies with decent aim long enough for your teammate to kill the marine or his clip to go low (at which point a good shot will crap all over you with his pistol:p )

A few mantras that can't be repeated enough for those who feel lost of frustrated when they start to lose:

-scout scout scout and call out key upgrades/builds! Pub games have high potential for team work as long as people know what is going on.
    A team that is a blind is a team that is helpless, no matter how good the players.
    If you call out that phasegate going up in their home base, then your team will know the marines are going to look to build a forward base, and will be ready to snipe it as it is being built/as soon as it is left undefended.
    Did you find a hive that was just erected in a position where your team can get to it? Call it out, usually your team will pressure it hard , they will lose gorges trying to defend it , they will lose pressure while you harass it etc .
    Did a marine drop a grenade launcher after wandering a bit too far from spawn/phasegate? CALL IT OUT! your team can help you prevent him from recycling it.

-Victory of the alien team is dependant on not letting the marines fully tech up (which WILL happen if you let them hold 4-6 res nodes for a long time) and not taking down phasegates in time (once marines have armor 3 and 2 phasegates you are pretty much screwed as they will come flooding at you faster than you can take them down, but it's the aliens' fault for letting it come to that). When do these situations happen? When the alien team goes too much on the defensive (pressure drops) or when they are playing team deathmatch in random spots without applying pressure on their buildings.
    When you notice pressure drops, go snipe rts, try to coordinate a snipe on a Phasegate, force a beacon and tell your team they beaconed so they can start taking down stuff on the other side of the map.
    This kind of coordination is made extremely easy because of the map, and is very common in pub play from my 72 hours of experience.

-for pubbing play on 14 man servers or 12 man ones, it only takes one dumb fade to kill poorly positioned marines while you are trying to chew down a PG/take down a turret battery/take down a power node at a com station/munch down an observatory) to cause marines to respawn and flood back in through said PG to ruin your day. 16-24 player servers have a much higher chance of being a bit of a meatgrinder and makes it far harder to get anything productive done when too many people aren't coordinating.
    In the same way, before you go play natural deathmatch... look at the map and see if you aren't fucking over your teammates' actions by killing that assault rifle marine who respawns for free 6seconds later with direct access to the phasegate.

-best defense is a good offense! Seriously. is marine pressure getting overwhelming? Are they flooding all over double or one of your hives? Look for a way to redirect their efforts through pressure or things will snowball and you will be frustrated (through your own fault).
    When there is high pressure on a hive it means a phasegate is nearby, if it is well defended (turrets, armory, obsevatory) it means you let them have it for too long , regardless your team needs to either take care of it or relocate entirely.

This is what Rossignol was complaining about in his WIT... it is not a flaw of the game by design, it is pubbies sometimes settling into bad habits and letting things get out of control.
    The easiest way to relieve that pressure is either deal with the cause, (which is NEVER the marines, it's always the Phasegate or just well fortified forward structures).
    If you can't deal with the cause because it is too well defended then it is not difficult to force a beacon elsewhere on the map or simply trade bases and relocate (which is always a viable choice if your team has been keeping their RTs down and hasn't constantly let marines recycle their weapons and welders).

-on that note: don't let marines recycle their gear!
    This is probably the one thing pubbies aren't very good at, they can coordinate down phasegates, keep rts sniped, pressure well etc, but killing that shotgunner or launcher player is useless if you don't stick around to keep him from picking it up again.

This game is ZONE control, everything that goes wrong for either team is caused by either team forgetting that or not correctly basing their desicions on it.
    That is kind of the point of the game, the team that does it better will slowly snowball into a win, and as long as they are on the ball to protect their ever present weaknesses (upgrade structures, phasegates, observatories dying = no base saving beacon, power nodes, expensive lifeforms and weapons) they will get a well deserved win.

There is a lot of meta game and decision making, I'm kind of stumped as to how anyone could see this as a negative.
    Watching it unfold is always entertaining (wether it be by accident or coordinated).
    Imo ever skulk and especially ever fade (as they can do damage to their own team) should be pressing C every time they spawn, every time they want to attack something, every time things go awry to get a fresh overview of what needs to be done.
    Same goes for marines, if you have phasegates up they are going to need babysitting until observatories are up (look for flashing phasegate icons and power node icons on the map) and after that they still need constant vigilance.

NS2 is played on the map even for the grunts.
    Last edited by Finicky; 24-11-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Network Hub
    game needs a supercomputer to get above 60 fps (on lowest settings...).
    even strong PCs struggle to maintain 30 when there's lots going on

for a game that isn't even worth playing unless the teams are perfectly even, this is kind of crippling the community
    not only are 95% of the players just incompetent at strategy and teamwork and being aggressive and coordinating, but they can't even hit anything when the framerate and hitreg sucks so hard

wrong thread, biz. Surely you aren't talking about NS2!
    Seriously though, it does get choppy when there's a lot of fire going on, but I'm maintaining good FPS otherwise. Honestly the engine seems fairly well optimized to me, and that's actually the current focus of the dev team- optimize.

I find that most of the players are actually very good at the game. Most FPSs that are this young don't enjoy so many die-hard fans trying to help new players. In my experience NS2 has more competent players than any other new FPS game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It sure does, probably because of all the 10 year ns1 veterans, and the lengthy beta.

Pub play in css was also higher level than in your average mp game from day one because the majority were cs 1.x vets.

I've never seen such a friendly community though as in ns2.
    Still annoyed at almost every 'reviewer' out there docking the game for relying on the community (which is exemplary in this game anyhow).
    If any of you fuckos ever chance upon this post: THIS is why publishers make safe,dumbed down games with a low skillcap.
    Because otherwise the reviewer/joe schmuck the casual might get owned or not be able to lonewolf to glory and scores/initial impressions go down , even if the highs,average fun and reward to be gleaned from the games are way higher.
    Last edited by Finicky; 24-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    If any of you fuckos ever chance upon this post: THIS is why publishers make safe,dumbed down games with a low skillcap.
    Other alien games had much better walk-walking, with the camera rotating to the angle of the wall. But NS2 is more "safe" and "low skillcap" and uses more conventional settings to no scare his gamers.