Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Other alien games had much better walk-walking, with the camera rotating to the angle of the wall. But NS2 is more "safe" and "low skillcap" and uses more conventional settings to no scare his gamers.
    The speed of the game requires it. Camera rotating with the skulks movement and position was tested in the beta, but it was just too confusing for the players. It is simply chaos when it is so fast paced. In a game like AvP 1 or something it would work different because the aliens there were more stealthy.

I agree completely with the developers on this as I also found the camera rotation just to be a disorientating effect, especially when you mix in the bite animation which could leave you disoriented enough as it is. If you would want to have this feature you would have to redesign your maps and make them much more square and linear?

Network Hub
    good FPS is 120+. you're delusional if you think NS2's engine is anywhere close to sufficient
    to put this in perspective, NS2 has faster moving enemies than quake (any of them)
    NS2 needs better hitreg, better netcode, better framerates, and better UI
    it's worse in all departments

the game is actually decent in terms of design. it just rarely works as intended. the devs are figuring out how to balance for the average player who gets low framerates and has bad aim while balancing for pros who have powerful rigs and amazing aim. it's basically an impossible task, even if the player base wasn't completely clueless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Haha 120 fps,in what games do you get that kind of framerate,Counter Strike and COD games doesn't count xD
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    The speed of the game requires it. Camera rotating with the skulks movement and position was tested in the beta, but it was just too confusing for the players. It is simply chaos when it is so fast paced. In a game like AvP 1 or something it would work different because the aliens there were more stealthy.

I agree completely with the developers on this as I also found the camera rotation just to be a disorientating effect, especially when you mix in the bite animation which could leave you disoriented enough as it is. If you would want to have this feature you would have to redesign your maps and make them much more square and linear?
    Aw let the little man have his inane counter argument :(

Oh man, I had the most epic game of NS2 I've had since launch last night.

I'm on aliens and the map is veil, we start in Subsector, 'rines in Control. Our comm drops cargo hive while marines move into pipeline.

We take nanogrid, but marines want it too, so they start attacking. I go fade and start defending with a gorge and a couple of skulks. I get badly injured and retreat, asking gorge to heal me. For some reason he doesn't and I get killed, losing my fade. Marines take nano easily, we try and launch a counterattack but fail, leaving marines with the double res nodes.

Marine commander is very active and soon has arcs moving en route to cargo with a bunch of marines, we start getting sieged. Despite heroic defense, we fail to kill the arcs and cargo hive gets destroyed. gg right?

I ask everyone on voice comms to gather in the vent near skylights, for a last-ditch suicidal counterattack on their main base in Control. We rush in and attack the power node and with four skulks munching on it, we kill the fucking power!

Now here the marine commander makes a huge mistake. What he should have done was press subsector as hard as he could, and we would have lost, since we were all in control. Instead he must have redirected marines to topographical to build a phase gate to retake Control. We destroy everything and drop a second hive, also getting our first onos too.

They have exos by this point, and the exos are told to go to topo and attack control. Cue epic standoff between our onos and their exos in the topographical hallway.

Meanwhile, I've saved enough res to go Fade again, and I attempt to create a diversion by attacking nanogrid. I cause enough havoc that two jetpack marines start chasing me around the southern portion of the map, taking their focus off the onos/exo fight.

With the rest of our team pressing topographical, the exos fall, and the team stomps on through and destroys the phase gate, immediately proceeding to nano where they regroup with me and finish that off too.

It's at this point that the marines started ragequitting. A shame, because they still had two command stations (pipeline & cargo) and could have fought on, but I think their commander left, and no-one else replaced him. If they had fought on, the match would have easily lasted another half hour or so; it was up to an hour at that point!

What really surprised me about the game was twofold. One was that we had some really good teamwork (on both sides) going on in a pub server. A little communication goes a long way, over half our team was using voice comms, which was great.

The other thing was that I was playing on a 12 player server. Previously, I was always looking for servers with higher playercounts, 16 or 18, since I had assumed that 12 player servers wouldn't get good games. How wrong I was. There seems to be more camaraderie with a smaller team for some reason, and the map doesn't seem as cramped when there are big fights.

It reminded me of the epic hour-long games I had when playing NS1, and I'm delighted that they're still possible in NS2.

tl;dr NS2 is bloody awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I can't afford the game for now, but it looks like something I'd like to play. Are there any news on the free weekend ? It could help me convince my brother to give it a try.
    pass

Don't know when it's going to happen, but it's definitely on the cards according to NS2 twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post

The other thing was that I was playing on a 12 player server. Previously, I was always looking for servers with higher playercounts, 16 or 18, since I had assumed that 12 player servers wouldn't get good games. How wrong I was. There seems to be more camaraderie with a smaller team for some reason, and the map doesn't seem as cramped when there are big fights.

It reminded me of the epic hour-long games I had when playing NS1, and I'm delighted that they're still possible in NS2.

tl;dr NS2 is bloody awesome.
    NS2 maps are designed around 12-14 man games, that is why the tourny matches are always 7v7 too.
    With any more players much of the reward for successful pushes/sneaking behind enemy lines etc is lost as both teams have enough players to pretty much have eyes/cover on the entire map.

In 12-14 man games the zone control aspect comes into play properly, you need to cut off enemy routes, hold a front line or combination of rooms, push when it makes sense etc etc.
    Stopping the enemy from expanding or from reinforcing their new expansions becomes more rewarding and more deliberate, mistakes get time to trickle their effects instead of just zerg A kills zerg B and pushes another room. Either team can get caught in a bad position when not careful instead of having goons everywhere etc etc.
    Structure hp is also balanced around these numbers.

Anyone playing only 18-24 man servers just doesn't get what the game is about and is missing out.
    Last edited by Finicky; 21-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Perhaps, I haven't seen too many servers with more than 20 players to be perfectly honest.

My 'find more players' mindset comes directly from NS1, where I used to play regularly on servers with 20+ players and had a great time.

It's Christmaaaaas! Build 234 is out.

Full patch notes.

Personally I can't wait to try out the new version of Refinery, more optimization is always good too.

Also SNOWBALLS!!
    Last edited by airtekh; 19-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    new patch is good, i hope the particle setting on low improves framerates during late game.
    That was the only problem I had with the performance, my framerate dropped to the high 20s/low 30s when there's a bunch of exos/jetpacks/flamethrowers/gls at the end of the game on my aging pc:p

No idea why they bothered with the christmas shit though, what a waste of productivity. I was hoping it was sarcasm with the dlc pun they mentioned in the same sentence, but it's right there in the video.

First day of the Winter Steam sale and NS2 is a Flash sale at 60% off!

If you've been holding out, now's your chance to grab it cheap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I want to, but am I just going to get smashed because I have no idea what I'm doing?
    steam: sketch

I won't lie, NS2 doesn't do a good job of telling you how to play. I played NS1 extensively, so I knew the game inside out before I even started, but apparently it can be difficult for newbies to get to grips with it.

There's an 'Explore Mode' in the game that allows you to try out all the weapons and abilities, which is good. But it doesn't tell you when to make the best use of them, or how to use them effectively.

My hope was that a bunch of people from RPS would pick the game up over Christmas and we could all have a few games together or a big tutorial session.

If you do get it and need a bit of help, I could answer some questions you have about it and guide you through a few games if you want.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's called a learning curve, you should know about if if you've been playing games since the ns1 days-.-
    Last edited by Finicky; 21-12-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I want to, but am I just going to get smashed because I have no idea what I'm doing?
    Play marine. Follow other marines. Shoot aliens.

I'm thinking about getting a 4-pack while it's on sale and taking 2 of them. Are there 2 more people that want a copy at $7.50 apiece and I'll gift them via Steam? Message me if you're interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    It's called a learning curve, you should know about if if you're been playing games since the ns1 days-.-
    Ha, what a fantastic introduction the the community!

But I played some today and enjoyed it, and had a decent commander who helped us get the gist so I'll be around to hopefully play this some more.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Ha, what a fantastic introduction the the community!

But I played some today and enjoyed it, and had a decent commander who helped us get the gist so I'll be around to hopefully play this some more.
    The community is awesome in ns2, very willing to help rookies as long as they are willing to listen and as long as they are responsive and communicate.
    You can lead a horse to water...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Interesting to see half the server or more be rookie flagged people. At least if both teams have new players it is not so bad.