Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It's very rare that one community is just 'good' or just 'bad'. I met nobody but nice people playing NS2 the other day, yet when I played Chivalry it had some of the worst, yet I wouldn't class the community there as bad because I just didn't find the right people. There's dicks in everything, and classing a community as good or bad based on a few games is a bit silly. Come and play NS2 with some RPS guys. Not Finicky, of course.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think you must have been very, very unlucky Gundato. I have played NS2 for around about 40 hours and I don't recall any racial slurs, homophobic remarks or sexism on display in any game I have played. Once I had to mute someone for talking non-stop jibberish and there has been once or twice when a couple of people have got annoyed at new players being commander, but that is normally after they have not been listening to advice. It has easily been the best community I have ever played with.

As for the complaints from TixyLixx, I have to disagree with most of them. I can see it being confusing as an Alien at first, but the UI is excellent for the Marines. Orders pop up on the screen with a nice arrow pointing you to the right direction. Health and building status appears cleanly, whilst your health, armour and ammo are displayed nice and straight to the point, without taking up too much screen real estate.

Also, I would say the game is incredibly unique. I didn't play much of the original, but there have definitely been quite a few changes from the earlier mod, from what I can gather. This is also easily the most polished and balanced version of this style of multiplayer I have seen.

Network Hub
    I just want to recommend this game to people after my first impressions.

I took the plunge yesterday in the sale, and immediately hopped on last night, watched the basic tutorial video and then jumped into a game. I did terribly, but it was awesome fun, and the community was just so nice!

There was one guy who very patiently and repeatedly handed out instructions and compliments, and continued to do so even as our team got totally trashed. When the game was basically as good as over, he suggested we retreat out to the ready room, and stayed pleasant and seemingly enthusiastic for the next game the whole while.

It's sort of sad how shocking this is to me, and how used I've gotten to communities treating newbies like dirt.

On the actual game front, I was stuck on the alien side all night. I wanted to play a marine, since I figured that would be easier to get to grips with, but team balance demanded I play on the slimy side. It was still fun, despite getting toasted repeatedly.
    Started writing a blog for video games, roleplaying, game mechanics, and AARs.

http://dentharial.blogspot.com/

In case anyone hasn't realised NS2 is 60% off for the next 30 hours on Steam!!

If you've just bought it, check out the new RPS steam group and our forum thread. We'll be meeting up soon.

@Dentharial

Well done for taking the plunge. NS2 is one of those games that is easy to bounce off, but if you stick around it will reward you handsomely.

I took the plunge today and joined the steam group. I hope I get to play with you guys.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Buy me NS2.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    These days? ArmA 2, Red Orchestra 2, and Chivalry all come to mind. Yeah, there is some occasional trash talking, but there are never any "below the belt" hits with respect to race and sexual preference and the like (and when someone DOES say stupid crap, people call them out on it).

Red Orchestra 2?
    I can't play one moment of it without turning all VOIP volume to zero: otherwise I have to spend ten minutes on every server muting people left and right. Granted, in the text chat I've seen a lot of good talk about the game and tactics, but there's 100% always someone shouting obscenities / playing music / speaking Russian* in the mic.

* No offense to Russians in general; but I only play on Euro/US servers, most of which have an English-only rule, and because I don't understand any Russian, it gets a little annoying when someone talks to themselves all the time.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentharial View Post
    I just want to recommend this game to people after my first impressions.

I took the plunge yesterday in the sale, and immediately hopped on last night, watched the basic tutorial video and then jumped into a game. I did terribly, but it was awesome fun, and the community was just so nice!

There was one guy who very patiently and repeatedly handed out instructions and compliments, and continued to do so even as our team got totally trashed. When the game was basically as good as over, he suggested we retreat out to the ready room, and stayed pleasant and seemingly enthusiastic for the next game the whole while.

It's sort of sad how shocking this is to me, and how used I've gotten to communities treating newbies like dirt.

On the actual game front, I was stuck on the alien side all night. I wanted to play a marine, since I figured that would be easier to get to grips with, but team balance demanded I play on the slimy side. It was still fun, despite getting toasted repeatedly.
    NS2 reraised the bar for mp communities for me to the point where I can't stomach any other mp games anymore.
    Every time I see the carnival of stupid that is chat/voip in another game I just think what am I doing here and go straight back to ns2.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, that's why I don't really feel like I am missing much. Over the course of three servers, I found people who make fin look like a well adjusted individual. But what was more distressing was that nobody even spoke out against it and said "Hey, stop with the racial slurs". That tells me one of two things:

1. The community is okay with assholes like that. Knowing that fin is part of it, I strongly suspect this to be the case
    2. The community isn't interested in new players (nobody who "is in the community" on any of the rookie servers) and the game is doomed.

Either way, I can spend my time on something that actually DOES have a nice community :p

I'm not saing NS2 is bad. I do think there are some serious flaws (if fixing sensitivity is one flag, why is it not flagged by default? Why the hell aren't the maps I downloaded baked, etc), but I can see an interesting game underneath. But with a community like that and plenty of comparable (if not better) games out there, I just don't see why I should put the time in. And sadly, I suspect I am speaking for the "normal" gamers right now.
    I'm plenty nice ingame ^^ don't have to tell people off there as any idiot who rears his ugly gundato shaped head instantly gets told to go away and then ignored by the entire server anyhow.

If me being a dick on here keeps turds like gundato out of the beautiful ns2 community I'm accomplishing something here.

The game takes a mediocum of spatial awareness and multitasking ability, which is a nice filter for the dumb witted anyhow, they'll get nothing out of it and will only feel frustrated or lost.
    Been avoiding the game during the steam sale while the game applies its quality filter mechanics on the avalanche of internet stupid and gundatos that flows in during these sales, in a week or two things 'll be back to normal as these ungamers return to their call of duties and assassin's creeds and diablos.
    Last edited by Finicky; 27-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Banned
    Never been put off by a community no matter how bad "they" are.

Remember playing NS 1 a long time ago. Half these guys said all sorts of cheesy shit like "you're only as good as the worst player on your team" and excessive amounts of "thank you" and - even worse - "you're welcome" ("your" welcome, rather). Then when I said fuck you to some prick skulk who bit my face off, he responded with: "Very mature." I laughed my ass off and realized that approximately half the guys who were on that server were kids pretending to be adult. Such a hoot i remember 'till this day.

Peeps were ALOT more normal on other servers (sadly). As for the gameplay, I remember that the game was pretty confusing. Maps are huge and there are an assload of vents so memorizing the layout is probably crucial to the enjoyment of the game. Helps if you have a more hands-on commander that marks waypoints. Anyway it sounds fun but i'm pretty undecided at this point so i'll see how it goes when i wake up tomorrow morning.

I joined the game in late beta (got the game in march 2012 but performance and complexity put me off). Since then I've been sinking over 100h into the game and I have the feeling it just gets better and better and I'm more excited with each day I fire it up.

Considering the community: I came from BF3. While there is still a nice yet tiny community going on the battlefield steam forums, battlelog is beyond hope and the ingame people you get to play with are mostly such a bunch of morons, totally unresponsive to any tactical or strategical suggestions you are forced to hammer into the text chat... BF3 could have been a really nice game (after all, I spent 400h with it), but the community killed it for me. I don't have any rl friends to play with and anyone whom I befriended trailed off to playing team deathmatch or fast vehicle respawn servers. Clans are not for me as I don't like to stick to any schedules.
    Now, NS2's community is AMAZING! No matter if you go to the official forums or playing the game, there's always a helpfull soul to point you into the right direction. There's always a bad apple, especially now with so many people picking the game up, but overall, reason and hospitality rules that community. There are quite a few elitists, but they usually keep to themselves and don't go into Rookie servers to drill newbs into shooting themselves on the toilet.

First RPS meetup is happening this Sunday 8pm UTC.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, discussion is here and the steam group is here.

Also last chance to grab NS2 for ten dollars before it goes off the daily deals in five hours time.

Banned
    Still thinking about it... what's the difference between normal and deluxe, btw?

edit:

still the possibility of NS2 getting cheaper though.
    Last edited by hamster; 28-12-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh the frustration it can be with a new commander. I will give him a chance but it does not help there is 3 people trying to help and tell him what to do. They need to pay some attention to how another commander works. Ideally use Explore to try the interface. But Explore does not teach them how to click on requests and drop ammo/medpacks. I know I wasn't great at the start either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I just tried to be commander. For the first time. So yeah, a new commander.
    Ugh.

The game was quite advanced. Our first commander was good, but left mid-game.
    Our second commander was a rookie, and had no idea what to do. Eventually he got bullied out of the chair.
    Then noone wanted to take it.
    Then I though "what the heck, it's already mostly a lost game..."

Ugh.

Between people constantly reminding me that we were capped at 200 resources (but there was nothing to research, as we only had 1 command station and all 1-comm upgrades were done) and some guy using voice chat to repeat over and over the same orders I could not understand, half because I was new to the chair, half because his accent was weird as all hell, I ended up completely fed, disconnected, fuck this shit.

At least I did learn how to drop health, ammo and scans, so that's something, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    heh.

Active commander who does ammo, health and scans makes a big difference.

I worst of part of being commander is when your team can't shoot worth anything and them constantly ignoring your orders.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anyone who even considers being a commander needs to go play a little on the explore mode, to at least familiarize himself with the interface and the menus. When you try it in actual game, there is seriously no time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Anyone who even considers being a commander needs to go play a little on the explore mode, to at least familiarize himself with the interface and the menus. When you try it in actual game, there is seriously no time for it.
    Yep in its current state, should you fail to cripple the alien res flow early on you have until approx. 13-15mins to either have EXOs and/or kill the 2nd hive. Otherwise you will have 3-4 onos to deal with which probably won't go too well. I've got the timings down to get EXOs at 10mins with upgrades varying depending on RTs. This buys a 3-5 minute window to cripple the aliens, whats fun is you pull this off only have your EXOs sit around and defend and just wait for the onos rush to come and roll you over, so depressing -_-

This tactic is a little cynical because it mainly tries to negate the skill level of your team by not upgrading anything in the armoury except welders and AA to stop your team wasting their PRes so they have the necessary 75 when you have dual exos up. Then its just mantrain into their hive time with as many MACs as you can afford.

So yeh, not really much time to waste when comming or its pretty much G_G
    so much for pathos

Build 236 is live, and it's a big one.

Full patchnotes

Seems like the devs fixed a crash that was still affecting me from time to time, so hurrah for that.

Also, I can't wait to try out the revamped version of docking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Still no free weekends,demo or anything like that ??
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Still no free weekends,demo or anything like that ??
    Nope.

Its demanding a Powerful Cpu, i have a 9850 Be cpu and its playable but struggling.If your cpu is stronger you should be fine. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...850B+Quad-Core.

As for the Game itself i played ns 1 extensively so here are imho the main differences:

Tech is now territorial for Marines too, no 2nd Hive Location,no higher techs.
    Shotgun spreads a lot more,if you cannot hit with the Rifle you wont kill anything with the Shirtgun.
    Lerks have gone from a Sporespammer Role to a Guerilla Sniper/Support or Spitfire Strafe and Bite role.Also they can cling to walls and ceilings.
    Even good Fades are less Dangerous due to limited Energy and the Ability to damage them while blinking (Also no selfhealing as Ability).
    Wallrunning for Skulks has become *much* easier.
    Sentries have been nerfed a lot, no more Turret farms,cheaper,limited Arcs of Fire, a single clever Skulk can take out a unguarded turret setup.
    Celerity builds up slowly now, so the longer you run uninterrupted the faster you get.In other Words its more a means of traveling fast than a Combat Advantage.
    Ha/Exosuits Have build in Gatling Guns but cannot use Phase Gates,also Hmgs have been removed.
    Grenlaunchers damage the Shooter.
    No more Hand grenades.And Jetpacs are more like Jumppacs.
    The Commanders and overall Strategy are way more important now (Spy Drones/Special Abilities for Commanders/Supply Chains for Aliens).

Overall its pretty good,but imho most Rounds feel pretty the same as the Marines can no longer relocate their CC/Main Base and have to occuppy Hive Locations for Tech.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc