Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is this the game i have been dreaming past few years,the complete teambased mp :o

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Is this the game i have been dreaming past few years,the complete teambased mp :o
    Yeah it pretty much is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    We need to organise a group game. Bloody fantastic game but im the only one out of my friends to have bought it.
    yep, was looking for a thread in the sociability forum but didn't see one.

Thanks to Helio for the trade, much appreciated!

I've managed to play a couple of rounds and I'm quite liking it thus far despite having spent most of them wandering around, hopelessly confused. I should probably go check those tutorial videos again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    5 am... I'm playing I look at the clock and 4 hours have passed.
    So much fun, so rewarding, so easy to bond with other players because of awesome teamplay.

I had to force myself to turn it off so I can get a few hours of sleep. Been many , many years since I did that with a game.
    Can't recommend this game enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Can't recommend this game enough.
    Embarrassed you ignored that friend who told you about NS1 all those years ago? I was 'that guy' with loads of my friends, 'whats a mod? So it's like counter strike, it's got aliens? That doesn't sound realistic' they'd say and go back to de_dust and later call of duty 2, me and my wife played this together for years, that it's been given a rebirth and shown to the world is great.

But we were doing this 7 years ago, the tension, the hilarity, the terrain. I'm glad you all could join us.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I just love when you go into a room and the aliens cut the power, everyone quickly turns on their flash lights and starts panicking scanning everywhere trying to find signs of the enemy, then of course you all blind each other and some fade chops you in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Embarrassed you ignored that friend who told you about NS1 all those years ago? I was 'that guy' with loads of my friends, 'whats a mod? So it's like counter strike, it's got aliens? That doesn't sound realistic' they'd say and go back to de_dust and later call of duty 2, me and my wife played this together for years, that it's been given a rebirth and shown to the world is great.

But we were doing this 7 years ago, the tension, the hilarity, the terrain. I'm glad you all could join us.
    Basically this. I remember trying to show NS1 to a friend of mine, and he got bored and suggested we go back to CS. I was livid!

It annoyed me that Natural Selection 1 never got the player base it deserved. It was a popular mod sure, but I always thought that it wasn't getting enough exposure. There were so many innovations at the time that bowled me over completely: the asymmetric teams, the marine commander, walking on walls as a skulk, the right-click menu, jetpacks, alien hive-sight, the strategy element and the general epic-ness of the average match.

NS2 seems to have finally thrust it into the limelight, and for that I couldn't be more happy.

Now hopefully that hotfix the devs released should fix my crashing bug so I can actually play it!

I get quite a bit of crashing also. Not too much, perhaps four crashes in 8 hours. But more stability would be welcome.
    I didn't realize it at first, but I'm enjoying this game more than XCom, Dishonored, BF3, Civ V or any of the other games I've been playing heavily recently. Wow.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I also hope we can get an RPS group for this going, I need more people to play with:p Though due to the awesome teamplay nature of the game I've already met a few regulars to play with through the game itself.

Network Hub
    I have yet to play with anyone who talks in mic =( lots of typers though.

My Steam SN is Sparkasaurusmex. I can sometimes play often, sometimes rarely... random times. I use a mic when people aren't sleeping in my house. I'd love to play with some RPSers!

Network Hub
    "Kotaku: NS2 is a genius mash of Counter-Strike and Starcraft"

Thanks Kotaku for confirming that this game is precisely not what I am not looking for.

Feels more like a genius mash of Aliens vs. Predator and Command and Conquer: Renegade.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I have yet to play with anyone who talks in mic =( lots of typers though.
    In over half the game's I've been in, the commander has given instructions trough their mic (it helps a LOT).

12 hours played in 2 days according to steam, I can't stop playing this game.
    Anyone who doesn't at least give this game a chance does themselves a big disservice imo , I regret not giving it a proper shot with NS1 when that was recommended to me way back when.

Getting better at playing skulk.
    The impact you can make on the match (you feel like solid snake ate predator) with the guidance of the commander is amazing.
    It is so much fun to bait and funnle marines into ambushes, to let 3 run past below you and go for their base once they are far enough or stall marines at their nearest extractor while your team pushes the other flank by keeping them franticly looking for you as you skulk in the shadows and infect them for 'aggro'.

This game gives the same high five level of cooperation as portal 2, but in multiplayer.. with a million times more variation.
    It also has that multiple frontline push and pull zone control mechanic that makes bf1942 one of my favorite games of all time. All without turning into a meatgrinder.
    I absolutely loved marines but aliens are so extremely much different in playstyle and at least equally entertaining and rewarding to play.
    Last edited by Finicky; 01-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDigritz View Post
    "Kotaku: NS2 is a genius mash of Counter-Strike and Starcraft"

Thanks Kotaku for confirming that this game is precisely not what I am not looking for.
    Kotaku doing more evil I see :p

edit: btw does anyone know of a good stream of let's play (that isn't from spectator view) to show this game off to friends and get them interested?
    Last edited by Finicky; 01-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Someone ought to set up an RPS steam group, FAST!

Network Hub
    Is this as good as NS1 was? I've been on the fence about it ever since I heard it was, in fact, not going to be vaporware.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    Is this as good as NS1 was? I've been on the fence about it ever since I heard it was, in fact, not going to be vaporware.
    I have no way to compare it to NS1 as I barely tried that for 3 hours... But NS2 is the bomb.

Community is excellent too so far, people are patient with rookies, people take their time to teach others, lots of chatter on VOIP, almost zero raging.
    You see quite a bit of winning team joining during matches but what game doesn't have that eh.

edit: it's amazing how in this game if you play 4 matches with someone and work together with them you are bros afterwards.
    They should sell this game to companies as a teambuilding excercise.
    Last edited by Finicky; 02-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    Its a great game, the early beta was a mess in code terms but that seems to be behind them, but the game principles have always been great.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/