Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    I have no way to compare it to NS1 as I barely tried that for 3 hours... But NS2 is the bomb.

Community is excellent too so far, people are patient with rookies, people take their time to teach others, lots of chatter on VOIP, almost zero raging.
    You see quite a bit of winning team joining during matches but what game doesn't have that eh.

edit: it's amazing how in this game if you play 4 matches with someone and work together with them you are bros afterwards.
    They should sell this game to companies as a teambuilding excercise.
    A question in regards to the community for anyone who has experience with a lot of recent multiplayer games: How long do you expect the community to stay active?
    I know its hard to guess at such an early stage, but I'd like to have a reasonable idea before I buy the game (which may require me to just wait a month and see where its at.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    A question in regards to the community for anyone who has experience with a lot of recent multiplayer games: How long do you expect the community to stay active?
    I know its hard to guess at such an early stage, but I'd like to have a reasonable idea before I buy the game (which may require me to just wait a month and see where its at.)
    There will be a cull of people who cant handle the higher level strategy and get frustrated at losing despite "getting loads of kills" but you should know that NS1 was always the most popular mod before valve stopped tacking its stats(we cant count counterstrike with its actual valve involvement can we?), even during the NS2 beta NS1 community never died, there are still 50 people playing NS1 this very minute despite it being off peak.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I fucking HATE this game. Everything in it is wrong, and too complicated and unelegant. And for some reason is built with the engine limitations of the Half-Life 1 engine.

Is like you let two retards make a cake, with the right ingredients. The result is still sweet, and taste good, but is all wrong.

I am having fun with the game in despise how unintuitive the gameplay develops, how the pace is always wrong ( too fast or too slow ).

I can't even forget Tremulous one second, because whas this type of gameplay but 7 millions better.

I would hardly call 50 people active though, more so because I'm in nz so playing with those 50 people (in an fps) is never going to be fun. What I'm hoping is that the community stays as active as TF2 (taking into account the smaller number) as oposed to RO2 or Gotham City Imposters, which from what I've heard lost there community pretty rapidly after release.

Obscure Node
    Here is NS2 interview everyone interested in the game should check out - http://www.pixeljudge.com/en/intervi...n-2-interview/

I would hardly call 50 people active though
    It a 10 year old mod which has a sequel out... How many people are playing section 8 right now?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I fucking HATE this game. Everything in it is wrong, and too complicated and unelegant. And for some reason is built with the engine limitations of the Half-Life 1 engine.

Is like you let two retards make a cake, with the right ingredients. The result is still sweet, and taste good, but is all wrong.

I am having fun with the game in despise how unintuitive the gameplay develops, how the pace is always wrong ( too fast or too slow ).

I can't even forget Tremulous one second, because whas this type of gameplay but 7 millions better.
    What do you hate? I find it very solid tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    make a cake, with the right ingredients. The result is still sweet, and taste good, but is all wrong.
    That sounds okay to me, I think you have your cake priorities wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    To me this game is like a chocolate cake that's filled with peanut butter and bananas- never tasted this combination before, but oh man is it not the best?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I would hardly call 50 people active though, more so because I'm in nz so playing with those 50 people (in an fps) is never going to be fun. What I'm hoping is that the community stays as active as TF2 (taking into account the smaller number) as oposed to RO2 or Gotham City Imposters, which from what I've heard lost there community pretty rapidly after release.

You can't be serious,comparing free to play TF2 with NS2..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Based on the reception NS2 has received so far I think it's safe to say it will have more players than RO2 or GCI.

It's hard for me to say with any accuracy, but NS2 certainly feels like a game that will have a long lasting community.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Helio was saying that despite being 10 years old, and the sequel being released now, that NS1 still has 50 people playing during off hours.

Imo full mod support, open source engine and admin support (and the quality of the gameplay) means ns2 will probably last 10 years as well. I don't see them ever splitting up the community with DLC map packs either which will be good for the health of the community.

It's a 9 man team that makes the game though, they don't exactly have the budget for a cawadoody marketing scheme.
    If you want the community to be longlasting get your friends to play it and don't behave like a little monster ingame:p

NS2 will probably be my home for many years to come.

In regards to RO2, that still has plenty of people playing, though the number obviously dwindled at launch because people were upset with it for some reason (i know it had some early technical problems but those were soon fixed). It's just launched the steam workshop, and added a new map. It's a fantastic game and keeps me coming back every week and it makes me feel sad that some people dismiss it as a failure. I feel the same way about NS2, really enjoying that too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Today I discovered that what I thought was NS1 that I played for some weeks years ago, is in fact Tremulous.
    Last edited by pakoito; 03-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Quick question: are there bots to play against? Because I doubt I can find enough players for a LAN session.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Quick question: are there bots to play against? Because I doubt I can find enough players for a LAN session.
    No, not at the moment. There is an 'explore mode' which allows you to play around with all the equipment and upgrades but there are no bots in it.

There's no shortage of people to play with, at any rate. I certainly haven't had any trouble finding a game.

Activated Node
    Hi guys. Never ever played more than 1 or 2 matches of NS1. I have one copy of this game in my inventory... and I think I'll activate it. Where should I start to learn how to play?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nsane View Post
    Hi guys. Never ever played more than 1 or 2 matches of NS1. I have one copy of this game in my inventory... and I think I'll activate it. Where should I start to learn how to play?

Erm,by playing the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by nsane View Post
    I mentioned it above, but probably the best thing to do before you hop into a public server is to check out the explore mode.

It should help you get a feel for the game. Check out all the weapons, the alien lifeforms, jump into the command chair/hive and learn the upgrade paths that can be taken. See how the dynamic infestation works and the power nodes for marine structures.

Make sure you put a password on it when you start though - I found out yesterday that others are able to join your explore session if it's not passworded!

Once you've got used to how the game works, you can maybe try one of the rookie servers that cater for new players - they appear green in the server list. Have fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    There have been tests by modders with "bots" during alpha/beta but they never reached a playable state. As far as I know they are still working on it but I would not expect these to be released soon.