Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyComa View Post
    Since you're downloading the client, look us up in the RPS Community in-game chat. You can talk to Hoarr, Bobhound, Tigran, Bahari, Benefacio, Kurp, Gara or his many alts, and many other cool dudes.

Eve is all about community.
    It's downloaded and I'm signing up for another trial. I will most certainly look you guys up. I hope you have the patience for a 98% noob.

Activated Node
    I write a small blog about EVE if anyone's interested. http://alikchi.wordpress.com/

Definitely hang out with the RPS Community/RPS Holding guys, they're a chill group.

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    It's downloaded and I'm signing up for another trial. I will most certainly look you guys up. I hope you have the patience for a 98% noob.
    We help anyone willing to learn so no need to worry about that. I would rather advise you to be patient. I have tried EVE a few times myself, much like Hoarr, and always ended up thinking "This game is just too stupid. WHAT IS FALLOFF!?!?!"

In EVE you have a ton of numbers to keep in your head and in the beginning it is going to be confusing and at times frustrating. Knowing, for example, how far your weapon reaches is based on the weapon's optimal range and its falloff range. But even when knowing that you have to take into account things like tracking, signature radius, etc. So there's a lot of information to process and what I would advise any new player to do is to be very engaged and ask a TON of questions. If you're confused as to how tracking mechanics work, have a look at a wiki and then ask in corp chat if you've understood it correctly.

The information threshold to pass is greater than in most other online games, but I find that once you understand what's under the hood it's a more enjoyable game than other MMOs. But I'll stress it again. The mechanics are of course an integral part of the game, but it's in the interaction with other players that the game shines. Particularly when your autocannon interracts with another ship's hull.
    Last edited by Hanban; 14-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Network Hub
    So I put a couple of hours into the trial yesterday. They've adjusted the UI a little since I played last, and I can walk around my bedroom. Whee?

Then I got into space and did a few tutorial missions. I did the most inconsequential things, I went to faraway destinations only to realize I forgot to bring the cargo, and I accidentally fumbled with the UI and struggled to return to the view I was just at...

and I was ASTONISHED. What the hell is it about this game? It's majestic and grand and enormous and incomprehensible. My wife was ready to slap me because I kept tapping her on the shoulder to show her some inane detail that astounded me.

If a subscriber would like to send me a private message I'll give you my email address and you can send me another free trial. I'll abandon this account and use your trial so that if (if!) I decide to subscribe CCP will reward you.

@djbriandamage

Write a post in the RPSH Community thread here in the Community sub-forum and one of our terrible pilots will give you one of the extended trials.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Banned
    Hmmm I think I need to load up EvE and see what's changed.

Happy to be podded and contribute to the grand cause that is RPSH

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So I joined EVE because I thought it would be something different. A living world, constantly shifting and evolving based on the actions of players, who essentially run the world.

All of which is true. More or less.

More importantly, if you've been playing for years and have loads of Isk and skills trained, you might actually get to see some of the ways in which player actions change the world of EVE. Which doubtless would be cool.

For us new folks, though...we get to fly around and get beaten up by people whose skills, ships and armaments we cannot hope to match. Outclassed and outgunned, we remain safely in "high sec" space, with its police guards and violent consequences for PVP.

And we run missions. If you have played WoW, or any other MMO EVER MADE, you know what these are. Kill the pirates/deliver the document/mine 90 ore/retrieve item. Over. And over. And over. In less than one month I have seen every single mission EVE creates. Multiple times.

I have also tried my hand at more risky stuff, such as Faction Warfare and PVP, in low and null sec space. And never once did I even come close to being "in the fight" more less winning.

EVE is a fascinating game to read about, or watch on Youtube. For entrenched veteran players it is doubtless an intriguing world to live in.

For new players, just go play WoW. Its what you'll be doing here, too - except that in WoW you might actually have some variety in your missions.

I never thought i would see a post that claims Eve to be the same or similar to WoW. Not at one single point in that post have i seen you make a successful comparison.

Eve-online is a sandbox - WoW is not
    Eve-online does not hold your hand guiding you through the golden path ,you make your own - Wow does not.

Failing to understand this last point was probably your downfall and ignited your misinterpretation which resulted in your inevitable return to WoW.

It is quit comical though to see someone try and make a comparison like this.

(I am not even going to try and sum up eve online and in what ways it is different to just about any other MMO out there. It is just not possible without writing a wall of text that equals that one in china)

gl in wow and enjoy :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    No need to be like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    They have a wall of text in China?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    If ChinaNet will have their way.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Word is that you can read it from space, and it says "Korean MMOs suck".
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    No need to be like that.

No need to be like what?

Activated Node
    So much quality posting! You should all be in RPSH. Honestly.

You'd love our forums.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikchi View Post
    I write a small blog about EVE if anyone's interested. http://alikchi.wordpress.com/

Definitely hang out with the RPS Community/RPS Holding guys, they're a chill group.
    Who are you in-game?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyComa View Post
    Who are you in-game?
    Alikchi, Bob Haldeman, and a few other characters.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Alright...to clarify:

I wasn't trying to insult EVE players. I recognize the fact that there is far more to EVE. buried under the surface and partially locked away based on what I - personally, as in, opinion - see as very arbitrary timed skill training. But it is there. An entire universe controlled, manipulated and essentially owned by players. Players change this universe daily, their actions exerting a ripple effect which can spread across the game world. Like the manner in which Hulkageddon, which curtails numerous shipments of ore to market, sometimes make it more worthwhile to reprocess loot into Ore than sell the loot. The ore is often worth more thanks to the kind benevolence of Goon (that's a joke, that right there, about kind benevolence...anyway.)

However, I think some of this is easy to miss. Because EVE, in the beginning, presents itself like WoW-in-Space. The missions and PVE content are not much different from Rift-alikes (WoW/EQ clones) and such. Which can sort of steer a person's opinion when they look to these missions to introduce them to the game.

In other words CCP is doing a great job with the game and a poor job introducing new players to that game. They need to take the focus off of PVE and introduce players to the wider Universe, including low and null sec. Newer players need to have viable roles to play in that wider universe but we do not and we will not without weeks of real time skill training. And even then its often a toss up at best.

So yeah, there is more here. Lots more. If you can find it, and beware - the developer is not only not making it easy to do that, they tend to actively steer you away from it.

I hope that perhaps clarifies things a bit more and also furthers the understanding of how I first got this idea or impression of EVE.

Network Hub
    You should've written that in your original post instead to be honest. Your first post came off as misinformed drivel trying to somehow prove that Eve equals Wow. This one is much more reasonable.

And it's something I'll even agree with. The focus on PvE and walking around in avatars has been extremely toxic to the playerbase. Several decisions in design had both made beginner ships entirely obsolete due to the prevalence of high tracking battlecruisers/t3 and supercapitals, raised the bar for entry due to power inflation and made tons of risk free PvE content with their Epic-Cosmos, dress-up doll simulator, farmville in space etc.

The problem this all comes down to is that there are (were?) factions inside CCP who want to do exactly as you describe. They refocussed on the dolls, the microtransactions, the farmville, the pay2win. They are single handedly responsible for the only significant drop in subscribers in the game's history and left several years woth of utter garbage in the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Batolemaeus View Post
    You should've written that in your original post instead to be honest. Your first post came off as misinformed drivel trying to somehow prove that Eve equals Wow. This one is much more reasonable.

And it's something I'll even agree with. The focus on PvE and walking around in avatars has been extremely toxic to the playerbase. Several decisions in design had both made beginner ships entirely obsolete due to the prevalence of high tracking battlecruisers/t3 and supercapitals, raised the bar for entry due to power inflation and made tons of risk free PvE content with their Epic-Cosmos, dress-up doll simulator, farmville in space etc.

The problem this all comes down to is that there are (were?) factions inside CCP who want to do exactly as you describe. They refocussed on the dolls, the microtransactions, the farmville, the pay2win. They are single handedly responsible for the only significant drop in subscribers in the game's history and left several years woth of utter garbage in the game.

I agree with this sentiment. And I can tell you that watching the E4 video from CCP left me summarily unimpressed. They talked about a clothing store for avatars and fancier explosion effects far more than they discussed the overall direction of the game, new content or cleaning up the disaster they have made of Faction Warfare.

I could care less what ships look like when they're destroyed - what we have now might not be star wars but it works fine. And don't get me started on how sickening it is to hear them 'focusing on' avatar clothing in EVE.

Clean up Faction Warfare. Make Defensive Plexing worth it. Refocus on getting people out of high sec and into low/null. Introduce players to the wider world, not your solo, carebear high sec play.

Inferno was a good start, but it sounds like they have since reversed direction again to refocus more on the crap from Incarna than the good ideas which still need fleshing out from Inferno.

Network Hub
    Sorry to dredge up this thread with an anticlimax but after 3 days of tooling around and completing some tutorials I ended up uninstalling Eve. It remains impenetrable for me. I actually made it all the way through the military tutorials without dying but just felt overwhelmed by all the stuff I'd need to learn. Alas, back to WoW (aka Eve with waterboats).

Activated Node
    Can't say I blame you. I tried Perpetuum last night and I said a big "f*ck this" when I saw all the stuff I needed to learn all over again - and let's just say it's very similar to Eve (unlike WoW).