Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Oh, I completely agree with you on libel laws, Prester. The case of Simon Singh was really horrible, and as it is pharmaceuticals can legally shut down legitimate scientific debate, which is terrifying. What this has to do with Fabrice Muamba, I'm not entirely sure. That article stinks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    Most of which are privately owned.
    So are ISPs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Meanwhile Sweden stands by its trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Meanwhile Sweden stands by its trolls.
    Glad to see there are places where it's not illegal to be an idiot.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

She's hilarious -- s'why I linked it. But if you want to go all on-topic, the article makes it clear that her tweets must conform to Swedish law.

She's hilarious -- s'why I linked it. But if you want to go all on-topic, the article makes it clear that her tweets must conform to Swedish law.
    The issue is not how to combat hate speech - because that's already provided for under current law - but the proposed elimination of warrant requirements when warrants are a necessary defense for privacy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Trolling can be looked at in a lot of ways. Yes the average troll is just an asshole, but not all trolls are. In many cases it can be looked at as satire or parody. Look at the PeterMolydeux twitter account, that actually ended up creating an indie games festival.

As long as 4CHAN remains a haven of unadultered trollery, all is fine in the world.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-winding-me-up

Proper trolling has an element of wit and intelligence behind it. Plain old flaming and threats do not.

We don't need laws against this.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post

Proper trolling has an element of wit and intelligence behind it. Plain old flaming and threats do not.

9_9

Some people may make an art form out of it, but one man's "witty provocation" is another man's "annoying asshole."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

UK wins in Google's latest Transparency Report!

The Verge
    Statistics on the user data requests that Google receives from courts and government agencies are also available in the report, broken down by country. The top spot once again goes to the US, with 6,321 requests and a 93 percent rate of full or partial compliance on Google’s part.

[....]

The country with the highest number of information requests per capita might surprise you, however — the United Kingdom makes 23 requests per million citizens (the US is slightly lower, at just over 20), and gets compliance 64 percent of the time. In comparison, Canada posted a more restrained 1.18 per million.

Winnar!

China isn't even in the dataset, which is a pretty hilarious and suggestive omission. Not sure what to make of Russia's very low rate of requests (~0.5/million pop.) coupled with Google's 0% compliance rate.
    Last edited by Rii; 18-06-2012 at 12:53 PM.

UK wins in Google's latest Transparency Report!

The Verge

Winnar!

China isn't even in the dataset, which is a pretty hilarious and suggestive omission. Not sure what to make of Russia's very low rate of requests (~0.5/million pop.) coupled with Google's 0% compliance rate.
    Not sure how much it affects this particular report, but Russia and China have home-grown alternatives to sites like google, facebook, twitter etc which are often much more popular. And they most likely give the state whatever information it wants.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    9_9

Some people may make an art form out of it, but one man's "witty provocation" is another man's "annoying asshole."
    I think the UK media have yet again started reporting on something they know little about. What they are reporting is not really trolling, rather its harassment and bullying. It seems they just heard of 'trolling' and due to its similarities thought "what we have here is trolling". Channel 4 have probably been the worst. The use of the word 'trolling' is the least of my concerns with their coverage though.

I should make it clear that I do not condone harassment and bullying. Trolling is fine. Annoying, but fine and excessive use of it should result in a ban where possible. Harassment and bullying are different and need to be taken seriously. I won't go into too detail here, but I feel parents and how they bring up their children are the most important factors.

One of the greatest trolls that ever lived, even before trolls existed.