Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Putting something in CAPS doesn't make it more factual.
    Consoles & macs those are closed hardware systems. PC with innumerable hardware skews not so much.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The consistency of game quality has gone up so much in the past few years that it's very rare to encounter a bad/unplayable game.

As such, reviews on all sites tend to focus mostly on the negatives, while often still coming out overall in favor. RPS tends to be similar on this. What I think is different is that RPS seems more willing to post reviews that disagree with mainstream opinion, or are strongly critical of big games (or elements of them like DRM).

For example, the RPS guys have all said repeatedly that they enjoyed Diablo3. That they focused on a lot of the negative points was , imho, partly because those negative points were more interesting and more important, and partly because other websites don't tend to. they just stick a 9/10 on it.

PS/ Did someone just argue that game prices have gone up???????! I can get 10+ games now for the price I paid for Tie Fighter back in the day..... I just don't have the time to play 10+ games.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The consistency of game quality has gone up so much in the past few years that it's very rare to encounter a bad/unplayable game.

As such, reviews on all sites tend to focus mostly on the negatives, while often still coming out overall in favor.
    That's an illuminating comment and well stated. I hadn't noticed that myself but I can see how it could be true.

Shawn Elliott, formerly of Games for Windows Magazine, epitomized games criticism as "this, but this." He intended it as a slight toward wishy-washy journalists afraid to take a stand, but I don't think that caricature looks so grotesque. Criticism is contrast and you can't compare two things without first establishing normalcy.

Question is, does normalcy suck? I say no!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    That's an illuminating comment and well stated.
    Yay! All the mediocre games are playable. We should be so lucky.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hate is addictive, and can be self-defeating. In 1984, the movie, the 2 minutes of hate was designed by the dictatorship to let people veil his frustration. Sometimes I feel RPS is giving us our ration of choco... 2 minutes of hate. And to avoid that, I avoid that type of articles, and read the other articles (problem solved).

The "problem" is that not everyone avoid these articles.

I think RPS know and understand this problem. I don't think RPS want to become a Kotaku, where the most trolling articles are posted to generate a lot of traffic. Theres some dance with the devil here, where RPS sometimes post one of these articles that will atract a lot of traffic and some trolls, but is not all the content here. The big secret of the internet is that if you don't feed trolls, starve and die. If you don't feed trolls, these type of people, the people that love confrontation, insults and hate, get bored on move to other websites.

So RPS can post about these issues, and not kill the community much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    In 1984, the movie
    Nothing in this thread made me hate more than the fact that you chose to quote the movie over the book.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yay! All the mediocre games are playable. We should be so lucky.
    Actually I was commenting on the last sentence I quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Actually I was commenting on the last sentence I quoted.
    That makes a bit more sense, tho I find avoiding negatives to be more conducive to a happy gaming life than accentuating positives. (If it was just about the latter, a PR announcement would have sufficed)
    Last edited by Nalano; 14-06-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Nothing in this thread made me hate more than the fact that you chose to quote the movie over the book.
    Tell me something, a question. Do you remember what was your first article in RPS, or the article that made you read RPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Tell me something, a question. Do you remember what was your first article in RPS, or the article that made you read RPS?
    The marathon session of Fuel and the APB previews, which was right in the midst of the "Gaming Made Me" articles.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't know what things cost in the UK
    I had a quick look at some future releases on Amazon and they were all in the 25 - 30 region (around $39 - $46). For reference, that's pretty much what I was paying for Amiga games 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Also stuff like this: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...s/#more-111011

PCGAMERS4LIFE *yawn*

/facepalm

A developer takes time out to talk about one of the hottest titles to show at E3 and you think it's smart to pull a PC master race card? Let's hear more about the game.
    I really don't get this, something that is clearly a joke at the end of an interview that is going to be posted on a PC only gaming site? What's the problem?

Network Hub
    I think I found the solution to my narrative voice in criticism conundrum. All I needed was one of those "there is no spoon" dealies.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/24

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tossrStu View Post
    I had a quick look at some future releases on Amazon and they were all in the 25 - 30 region (around $39 - $46). For reference, that's pretty much what I was paying for Amiga games 20 years ago.
    Games are generally $49.99-59.99 US so they have definitely gone up here, which was my point when I said "I don't know what things cost in the UK".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    I really don't get this, something that is clearly a joke at the end of an interview that is going to be posted on a PC only gaming site? What's the problem?
    Because it's pandering to a demographic who frankly shouldn't be encouraged.

Games are generally $49.99-59.99 US so they have definitely gone up here, which was my point when I said "I don't know what things cost in the UK".
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/1...own-with-time/

Also maybe learn about inflation.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 14-06-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

I said "excluding cartridge based games" in my original post. The cost went down significantly with CD based games and only went up this current generation when xbox games started costing $59.99.

Regardless of inflation my original point about games costing more because of DLC, micro-transactions, and yearly sequels remains true.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Game quality has gone down significantly in the last few years. Have you even played any of the major releases this year? Games like ME3, ToR, etc, etc, etc? ME3 is the third in a series and came out however many years after the first one and yet is dumbed down to the point that it's not even an RPG anymore. It's a third person action game with interactive cutscenes. ToR was just a pile of shit.
    'Oi - I was under the impression that ME3 actually had significantly more "RPG" options then it's predecessor had, both in the way of equipping as well as levelling your character (When it came to levelling, it was simply the "more stuff to choose from, as well as different ways to branch" as opposed to the slightly meagre offering of the second game, and the inventory was "upgradeble weapons which all still are different to each other, and the more you take the less you can use your other powers" - which is a huge step forward from the first game, which simply offered 100 models of the same weapon).

Calling ToR "a pile of shit" is not really a well constructed opinion.

Since we seem to be pretty much done with the OP, I'd like to chime in on the "PC master race" thing.

Current console hardware is old. 7 years old. Any PC you bought recently is more or less effectively "the master race" purely by a massive hardware lead. Epic have pretty much stated the Unreal Engine 4 cannot run on current gen consoles and most likely won't run on the Wii U either. I don't want to fuel the fires and I agree the attitude such jokes encourage isn't healthy, but a shift away from consoles is inevitable. "When?" and "For how long?" are the questions we should be asking not pretending they aren't outdated or dragging gaming down in general for the sake of civility.

At least those are my 2 cents.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with saying that PC's are the ideal system, but this master race mentality and inability to understand any appeal of consoles is silly and meaningless.

But when the next consoles are announced next year, they'll probably be just as relevant as this gen was when it was launched. At least it'll signal developers to fully go ahead with 'next gen' games.

If MS and Sony don't fully embrace F2P games consoles are dead.