Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109
  1. #61
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    There's nothing wrong with saying that PC's are the ideal system, but this master race mentality and inability to understand any appeal of consoles is silly and meaningless.
    I'm finding it very funny that this thread started about complaining about "excessive negativity," and has devolved into an argument about everything - biased reviews, corporate hegemony, console wars... strawmen abound! Angerangeranger--
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  2. #62
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    That's offensive to strawmen, I felt like our culture had moved passed only speaking of them in a negative light.

  3. #63
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    That's offensive to strawmen, I felt like our culture had moved passed only speaking of them in a negative light.
    Their jobs have long since been taken over by pesticides anyway. It'd be like complaining about chimney-sweeps.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #64
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    They are now relegated to Halloween decorations and being set on fire at festivals, both of which are highly offensive. They don't like standing around on porches wearing a fake smile in offensive clothes just to sell candy.

  5. #65
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm finding it very funny that this thread started about complaining about "excessive negativity," and has devolved into an argument about everything - biased reviews, corporate hegemony, console wars... strawmen abound! Angerangeranger--
    Every RPS thread is like Chinese whispers, who knows what it'll end up about?

  6. #66
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Every RPS thread is like Chinese whispers, who knows what it'll end up about?
    A tedious protracted argument about what defines an RPG, usually.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I said "excluding cartridge based games" in my original post. The cost went down significantly with CD based games and only went up this current generation when xbox games started costing $59.99.

    Regardless of inflation my original point about games costing more because of DLC, micro-transactions, and yearly sequels remains true.
    1) Lets see some factual evidence to support that first assertion, because it's out of synch with what's happened elsewhere in the world.

    2) secondly you're no obligation to buy DLC or commit to micro-transactions.

    3) Whether a game has a sequel every year or every five years is an irrelevance to the cost of the unit itself. As highlighted earlier sequels are not a new thing. Ultima had several in quick succession.

  8. #68
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    1) Lets see some factual evidence to support that first assertion, because it's out of synch with what's happened elsewhere in the world.

    2) secondly you're no obligation to buy DLC or commit to micro-transactions.

    3) Whether a game has a sequel every year or every five years is an irrelevance to the cost of the unit itself. As highlighted earlier sequels are not a new thing. Ultima had several in quick succession.
    1)It's pretty simple, cartridges cost much more to manufacture. Each cartridge based game was a physical piece of hardware, game prices went down significantly after the switch to CD, stayed stagnant for many years, and rose in this last generation.

    2) Ah, but games are designed in such a way that makes it unlikely that you won't. They use basic tactics like peer pressure to sell you map packs. DLC and microtransactions are almost like maintenance costs on a car at this point, if you want to continue playing the game you pretty much have to buy them. The quality and quantity of content in "base games" has gone down significantly sicne this became a trend.

    3) Nope, you are wrong.

    4) Go do your own research if you wan't to know things. I am too cool and important to do such things.

  9. #69
    Obscure Node ShadowyMOON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    17
    I don't know where you people buy games but with digital distribution and retailers trying to hang onto the market you can buy any non Blizzard game on sale somewhere within a month past release.

    That and games are actually cheaper. It's a fact. Why are we having an argument about it again? As for DLC, I personally hate it but it never was or will be obligatory or "maintenance". Currently my most played games are Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, StarCraft 2 and Crusader Kings 2. None of which I have bought any DLC for (Two of them don't even have any) and I'm playing them in multiplayer perfectly fine every day.

  10. #70
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyMOON View Post
    I don't know where you people buy games but with digital distribution and retailers trying to hang onto the market you can buy any non Blizzard game on sale somewhere within a month past release.

    That and games are actually cheaper. It's a fact. Why are we having an argument about it again? As for DLC, I personally hate it but it never was or will be obligatory or "maintenance". Currently my most played games are Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, StarCraft 2 and Crusader Kings 2. None of which I have bought any DLC for (Two of them don't even have any) and I'm playing them in multiplayer perfectly fine every day.
    It's not a fact. Do you people lack memory? PC games went from $49.99 to $59.99 only like 2 years ago... It was a huge thing that everyone cried about and I do believe CoD: something or other was the first game to make that jump....

    YES 20 year old games were more accounting for inflation (or in some cases just more period).... the prices went DOWN since then and have come back up.

    =/

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PC+games+go+to+59.99

    ffs

  11. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I've got nothin
    If the best you can conjure up is repetition and blanket denial then don't bother posting in future. You've been asked to provide some evidence to support your assertions and you've failed to deliver on them. Appeals to cool don't cut the mustard I'm afraid. You still don't seem to have wrapped your head around the whole inflation thing either. Numerically some prices might well appear to have gone up (though certainly not in europe) but the actual long term consumer costs have dropped.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 15-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.

  12. #72
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    If the best you can conjure up is repetition and blanket denial then don't bother posting in future. You've been asked to provide some evidence to support your assertions and you've failed to deliver on them. Appeals to cool don't cut the mustard I'm afraid. You still don't seem to have wrapped your head around the whole inflation thing either. Numerically some prices might well appear to have gone up (though certainly not in europe) but the actual long term consumer costs have dropped.

    Irrelevant. In the last 5 years the cost has gone up by an amount disproportionate to inflation. Try again.

    edit: The "I'm cooler than you" comment really stung deep didn't it?

  13. #73
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,629
    I don't really think prices have gone up. Every now and again, Steam or whatnot will charge 34.99 for a game (Skyrim) but I still picked that up for 24.99 from most places, same with all games.

  14. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    In the last 5 years the cost has gone up by an amount disproportionate to inflation.
    At this point in time whom are you trying to fool save yourself? You can say the moon is made of blue cheese but unless you can actually demonstrate it you're not exactly convincing anyone here.

  15. #75
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm finding it very funny that this thread started about complaining about "excessive negativity," and has devolved into an argument about everything
    At least I'm not the only one who sees it.

    I've decided to be more optimistic, though. RPS is doing the Rezzed conference with a dedicated indie section and some triple-A exclusives. These guys are fighting the good fight as they always have. The internet is better with RPS than without it.

    *I* will strive to be a beacon of positivity and I hope to be contagious.

  16. #76
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,966
    There use to be "cool guys clubs" in the moddb forum. These clubs may exist on other forums, the rule of the club is to not be too negative about everything, be critical but not a hater. I kind of like that spirit, and the idea that having a good community is something you have to work for. I have said before that hate is adictive, .. is very easy to fall on that sliding slope.

  17. #77
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    At this point in time whom are you trying to fool save yourself? You can say the moon is made of blue cheese but unless you can actually demonstrate it you're not exactly convincing anyone here.
    Google it bro.

  18. #78
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    *I* will strive to be a beacon of positivity and I hope to be contagious.
    Please don't. Just be yourself. Nothing worse than a forced smile.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  19. #79
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I have said before that hate is adictive, .. is very easy to fall on that sliding slope.
    This is true: hatred -- or, perhaps less pejoratively, 'conflict' -- is addictive and, like heroin or WoW, quickly becomes destructive of self. This is why I think one should be very careful as to the kinds of people and the kinds of arguments one allows oneself to engage with. "And when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    Last edited by Rii; 15-06-2012 at 06:28 PM.

  20. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Google it bro.
    Is your ass even on Google? Because unless it is I'm not seeing where it's going to pull those 'facts' of yours from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •