Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Please don't. Just be yourself. Nothing worse than a forced smile.
    Get to know me and you'll learn that my smiles aren't forced. Everyone calls me an optimist but I've always called myself a realist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Get to know me and you'll learn that my smiles aren't forced. Everyone calls me an optimist but I've always called myself a realist.
    That is quite a pessimistic evaluation then.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    That is quite a pessimistic evaluation then.
    That made me laugh actually. :)

I suppose it could be construed as either pessimism or neutrality. If things turn out well, I consider that to be in line with my expectations. I call that realism - Life has been great to me so far so I expect that will continue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    I suppose it could be construed as either pessimism or neutrality. If things turn out well, I consider that to be in line with my expectations. I call that realism - Life has been great to me so far so I expect that will continue.
    I get where you are coming from. People love to doom monger (esp on game forums) but it's rarely the case that things are a terrible as they make out most of the time.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I get where you are coming from. People love to doom monger (esp on game forums) but it's rarely the case that things are a terrible as they make out most of the time.
    Exactly the point of my original post. I hereby declare this derailed thread rerailed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Is your ass even on Google? Because unless it is I'm not seeing where it's going to pull those 'facts' of yours from.

You want to google my ass?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You want to google my ass?
    I'm feeling lucky

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Here is the moddb thing I talked before.

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/co...criticism-club

A club where to be member you only need to park hatred, and become a constructive member of society.

So in case you're done bringing pretty much nothing to the table Hypernetic, prices in Europe always floated around roughly 60$ with expansions at about 30-40$, ergo a fixed price point is actually better for me. If that wasn't the case in the US, well be glad you had it for a while.

Now if you want to bitch about something, tell me how 60$ = 60 euro and we can talk about game prices actually going up.

As for everyone else, "hatred" is subjective and the internet sucks at conveying proper emotion. Assume nothing from posts and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyMOON View Post
    So in case you're done bringing pretty much nothing to the table Hypernetic, prices in Europe always floated around roughly 60$ with expansions at about 30-40$, ergo a fixed price point is actually better for me. If that wasn't the case in the US, well be glad you had it for a while.

Now if you want to bitch about something, tell me how 60$ = 60 euro and we can talk about game prices actually going up.

As for everyone else, "hatred" is subjective and the internet sucks at conveying proper emotion. Assume nothing from posts and you'll be fine.
    Europe is of no consequence.

Your infernal bickering has me exasperated.

As such 30 seconds on google reveals the following:-

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/1...own-with-time/

I'm not claiming its the most exhaustive, well researched article ever, but good lord its EVIDENCE.

Ball is back in your court, Hypernetic

zzzzz

Please go back and read the last few pages.

Again here you go http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PC+games+price+59.99

There is 3.5 million results of people crying about the increase in PC games costs from $49.99 to $59.99.

Cartridge based game prices are IRRELEVANT due to the inherent costs associated with producing said games. Carts are MUCH more expensive to produce. Each cart has an integrated circuit board, memory, a battery, etc, etc, etc CDs are just stamped from a piece of plastic.

zzzzz

Please go back and read the last few pages.

Again here you go http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PC+games+price+59.99

There is 3.5 million results of people crying about the increase in PC games costs from $49.99 to $59.99.

Cartridge based game prices are IRRELEVANT due to the inherent costs associated with producing said games. Carts are MUCH more expensive to produce. Each cart has an integrated circuit board, memory, a battery, etc, etc, etc CDs are just stamped from a piece of plastic.
    But the key point I'm not sure you fully appreciate is that the article I linked to (while I admit not 100% relevant) references actual factual material, and while it principally concerns consoles its not completely unrealistic to expect similar trends in PC games.

What you 'reference' is lots of people moaning. This is not a particularly valid rebuttal. The point is you could link to dozens of people saying the moon landings were faked or that pine nuts are the secret tools of the antichrist, it doesn't make it true.

Now I'm not saying within the millions of search results there isn't evidence that game prices have increased, hell I'd be really interested to read that. But as your impression seems to run contrary to the general opinion of the other posters in this thread (which again, let me stress this, does not make you wrong) it does rather put the burden of proof on you, in much the same way as someone suggesting Gravity does not exist.

I can't speak for the others but what I'd like is for you to change my opinion using actual evidence. Posting sweeping claims with no evidence does not achieve this. Likewise, posting flippant remarks such as "zzzz" and "Europe is of no consequence." which though perhaps made in jest, do not exactly endear you to others or encourage us to take your word as fact.

Yup, it's a massive conspiracy that I perpetuated....

Here is an article talking about it since that seems to make things legit for you http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps3-gam...t-5999-6158689

Notice the part where it says "MS first party titles are priced at $49.99".

Here are two first party MS titles coming out soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-Judg...f+war+judgment

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Xbox-36...eywords=Halo+4

Notice the prices?

Also notice the quote in that article where Bobby Kotick talks about increasing the price of games to around $60.

"We have not seen a lot of consumer resistance at the higher price points, and we expect that all of our next-generation products will be launched at $60 price points," - Kotick

Further confirming the fact that games increased in price with this current generation.
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 16-06-2012 at 12:23 AM.

[snip] double post apparently?
    Last edited by Timofee; 16-06-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Yup, it's a massive conspiracy that I perpetuated....

Here is an article talking about it since that seems to make things legit for you http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps3-gam...t-5999-6158689

Notice the part where it says "MS first party titles are priced at $49.99".

Here are two first party MS titles coming out soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-Judg...f+war+judgment

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Xbox-36...eywords=Halo+4

Notice the prices?

Also notice the quote in that article where Bobby Kotick talks about increasing the price of games to around $60.

"We have not seen a lot of consumer resistance at the higher price points, and we expect that all of our next-generation products will be launched at $60 price points," - Kotick

Further confirming the fact that games increased in price with this current generation.
    That's interesting, and I can certainly agree that in recent years we have seen a minority of AAA titles put out at higher price points e.g COD:Blops

On this point I'm absolutely in agreement that prices have gone up, what I and seemingly others thought is that over a longer time frame they have stayed largely the same. If you're referring to recent trends only then it sounds like everyone has been talking at cross purposes as I don't think anybody would dispute the above (that's the cue for someone to do exactly that ;P)

Just found this which is really interesting

http://www.clanofthegraywolf.com/vid...s-now-and-then

The full view images seem to be taking a painfully long time to load for me but the PS1 image is really interesting to see games priced in the upper 50s. Annoyingly there is no currency indicator but based on the OP's comments and mention of Wal-Mart I'm guessing that's US dollars

Annoyingly I used to be in one of those mail order catalogue things for games (Special Reserve I think it was called) but threw them all out. I'd be really interested to go back and see the sort of prices.

I remember paying something like 35 at release for C&C which came out in 1995 which as a direct comparison to today's prices would suggest an increase but allowing for inflation of 4% (and my shonky maths) equals 68.

Edit, just realised I should have provided a point of comparison: 3 of my most recent purchases have been Diablo 3 (~40), Guild Wars 2 (~50) and Endless Space (~21)

Anybody got any old mail order catalogs from pre2000?

Network Hub

At the dlc buying tools; Now add the cost of the dlc on.

At the dlc promoting press (not just RPS); Well you get hits that make you money so carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    That's interesting, and I can certainly agree that in recent years we have seen a minority of AAA titles put out at higher price points e.g COD:Blops

On this point I'm absolutely in agreement that prices have gone up, what I and seemingly others thought is that over a longer time frame they have stayed largely the same. If you're referring to recent trends only then it sounds like everyone has been talking at cross purposes as I don't think anybody would dispute the above (that's the cue for someone to do exactly that ;P)

Just found this which is really interesting

http://www.clanofthegraywolf.com/vid...s-now-and-then

The full view images seem to be taking a painfully long time to load for me but the PS1 image is really interesting to see games priced in the upper 50s. Annoyingly there is no currency indicator but based on the OP's comments and mention of Wal-Mart I'm guessing that's US dollars

Annoyingly I used to be in one of those mail order catalogue things for games (Special Reserve I think it was called) but threw them all out. I'd be really interested to go back and see the sort of prices.

I remember paying something like 35 at release for C&C which came out in 1995 which as a direct comparison to today's prices would suggest an increase but allowing for inflation of 4% (and my shonky maths) equals 68.

Edit, just realised I should have provided a point of comparison: 3 of my most recent purchases have been Diablo 3 (~40), Guild Wars 2 (~50) and Endless Space (~21)

Anybody got any old mail order catalogs from pre2000?
    Yeah UK prices are all over the place. Generally in the US all "AAA" games are $59.99. Some niche games can be $39.99-$49.99 but they are rare. Handheld games are about $39.99 (3DS) and that's about it.

For reference both D3 and GW2 are $59.99 US. Prior to CoD: MW2 pretty much all PC games were $49.99. MW2 was $59.99 and from then on more and more games were released at that price, now they all are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    @Timofee

I think you'll find our mutual friend doesn't really get the concept of 'inflation' and how game prices haven't really kept pace with it over the years. Games in the UK have floated around 30-35 for several years now, whilst incomes have largely gone up.

Also I'm wondering how much the 'console tax' impacts things. Every title sold on 360 or PS3 over here is about 8-10 more than it's PC version because Sony & Microsoft charge the publishers a license fee. I wonder how that factors into things state side. This $60 figure that's being quoted is for console titles.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 16-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Europe is of no consequence.
    Is there anything else to discuss here if we're talking about the pricing of games and that is your entire retort? Really?

Games are global. Deal with it. You sprout a piece of BS like that anywhere half seriously mockery is the best you'll get.