Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
Personally, I want a "Han Solo fantasy" smuggler game. Ideally, it'd be a hybrid of Sid Meier's Pirates! and Freelancer. I'd take the basic structure of Pirates! and put Freelancer's combat and cinematic style on it.

Screw my idea - I want this!

The step forward I'd take is make the little quests and interactions that Pirates! has and make them semi-procedural .... The idea is that these little quest bits give you some random/some calculated situations, and how you deal with them is the crux of the "telling your own story" gameplay.

Yes, Yes, and Yes again.

The ship you'd use for trading/smuggling doesn't fire on all engines, and have to spend some time either docked or in the middle of combat jury-rigging or fixing problems.

Some of the new mojang game is looking to be a bit like this, but I'd love minigames to re-route power like in FTL, or even like you say running around the ship and trying to fix things.

Borrowing money to pay for your ship from crime lords, taking questionable jobs with questionable cargo, trying squeeze as much payment as you can without losing the job entirely, or just running a freebie to get a connection with someone who'll pay better next time. Avoiding the law and staying off their alert radar, dancing a dangerous game with the unlawful knowing they might stab you in the back, finding a co-pilot you can kinda trust and possibly like to back you. Everything's a roll of the dice, but only some people can cheat a little. That's the life of a Smuggler.

That all just sounds TOO cool.