Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rock, Paper, Smite

www.SmiteGame.com
    Anyone else in the closed beta of Smite and wants to discuss, ramble, play?

So far i really enjoy the game. It beeing in third person really adds to the fun of a MOBA for me. Especially as you get slower when you turn around for example to check how far that Kali is behind you only to get in range while doing so.
    The unboosted unlock rates however are abysmally slow, as we are used to from Hi-Rez (Tribes: Ascend). A long, good and won game gives out only little more than 100 favor and a new god is 5500. And it appears they even acknowledge that! You get some sort of xp after games that lets you level up, what offers no advantage to the game except you need lvl 6 to be able to play on the non-novice servers (not really an advantage, i miss the nice and forgiving novice days). But each lvlup gives you whooping 1000xp. So at least for the first lvls, unlocks are primarly paid for by lvlups.

Of course, if you spend 15€ on the starter pack, you already have all but 2 gods at your disposal.

edit: When sharing beta keys, please do not post them openly in the forum, that attracts bots, crawling through the interwebs, snatching whatever looks like a key. Better send them via pm and make a post informing that you took care of the request.

edit from the far future: Everybody can send unlimited beta keys now. PM me your email and ill take care of you.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 03-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    www.SmiteGame.com
    Anyone else in the closed beta of Smite and wants to discuss, ramble, play?

So far i really enjoy the game. It beeing in third person really adds to the fun of a MOBA for me. Especially as you get slower when you turn around for example to check how far that Kali is behind you only to get in range while doing so.
    The unboosted unlock rates however are abysmally slow, as we are used to from Hi-Rez (Tribes: Ascend). A long, good and won game gives out only little more than 100 favor and a new god is 5500. And it appears they even acknowledge that! You get some sort of xp after games that lets you level up, what offers no advantage to the game except you need lvl 6 to be able to play on the non-novice servers (not really an advantage, i miss the nice and forgiving novice days). But each lvlup gives you whooping 1000xp. So at least for the first lvls, unlocks are primarly paid for by lvlups.

Of course, if you spend 15€ on the starter pack, you already have all but 2 gods at your disposal.
    Your post is the first I've come across about it...not really sure from the trailer what's it about and the website isn't giving much about, this a action MOBA tower defence? Looked like some kind of boss fight at one stage so I'm a bit confused as to whether there's multiple modes/PvP or what have you :-)

Does look shiny though
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

It is basically Dota with third person. That Minotaur boss is just the final thing to kill to win the round, he is inside the enemy base. And that Fire Giant-type boss is a neutral NPC standing in a room on the map, waiting to get slain to offer the killing team a sweet temporary buff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Q61hMGSmU
    This video explains the game quite okay, allthough it assumes some generel MOBA knowledge i suppose.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 15-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I got a key a few days ago but did not get to install and try it yet.
    But I kinda am fed up wit MOBA so I wonder if Smite might change that.

It does play quite casual and action-y in the novice queue. And it offers auto-buy and auto-skilling if you want, so the first few games can be as laid back and uncomplicated as you want.

edit: And while i write that, the newest patch apparently has put away with the novice queue and apparently there now is a proper match making logic and a single queue. Probably good for people who have just outgrown the old novice queue and used to be paired with whoever was in the general queue, wether they had played 10 games or 100. But given the overall rather low number of players (its a closed beta afterall) that might pair actual novices with slightly higher players. But who knows.

Also, speaking of closed beta:
    Everybody gets 2 beta keys to share, so if there is some interest on here, i have 1 left and a friend of mine should have 2. If everybody who asks for one in this thread later passes one on, we should be able to hook everyone who is interested up with a key.
    Or you spend 15€ on the starter pack, that contains 10 gods (way cheaper than buying them individually) and beta access.

epic edit from two months in the future:

Apparently there is once again a novice queue. Novices (up to lvl 6) can join that one or the normal queue when in a party with someone above lvl 6. Higher lvl players can not join the novice queue regardless of party.
    Also the matchmaking logic has greatly improved and does a pretty good job now. At least for me.

Beta keys are now way less scarce as everybody in the beta can send out as many as they want per email.
    And there currently is a god pack on sale that contains the first 30 gods for i believe 23€. 30 gods is more than what has been released till this day, so it contains some gods from even further in the future!
    It says 'All the gods added before Release!'
    Last edited by DeVadder; 06-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

I just bought Hel. Add me, teach me your ways!

I am horrible as Hel myself. She is pretty good since her makeover, though. Hefty damage, hefty heal, slow, AOE CC immunity...
    Sounds too good to be true, but sadly i allways get slaughtered. Slow movement and low health don't go well with me, apparently.

Recently i mostly play Bastet and Jungle. Super fun when it works and i am ahead and can gank all day, super depressing when the enemy team is ahead and my damage stops actually hurting people. But well, imho, someone has to jungle.

Yeah I'm constantly getting flattened with her. As soon as someone decides to jump up and attack, I can't get away. I did a very commentary-lite gameplay video of my first bot game with the dragon fella (includes the intro video for those who have no idea what the game is): http://www.wheredoesgodzillapoop.com/?p=608
    Last edited by Space Indaver; 29-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    I really need a crosshair for it. And it sucks that melee has no arc damage normal atacks.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

I thought hammers/other swingy things did arc damage?

Doesn't seem so

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    On a scale of hugs and kisses to forcing scorpions into your eye sockets how nasty is the community?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

For the moment it's closed beta, mostly it's silent rager.

Love the way it works well in background though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    On a scale of hugs and kisses to forcing scorpions into your eye sockets how nasty is the community?
    Hmm, if your team loses and someone is clearly responsible by beeing bad, then in about 50-75% someone will be a dick about it.
    So i guess, compared to other MOBA, not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    I thought hammers/other swingy things did arc damage?
    Nope, however, there is an item that gives your standard attacks splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I really need a crosshair for it. And it sucks that melee has no arc damage normal atacks.
    In the settings, there is an option called 'Green Arrow' or something. That gives your ranged gods an arrow pointing in the direction where their shots will fly.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 29-06-2012 at 12:25 PM.

I saw TotalBiscuits WTF on it and really liked the sound of the novice queue to ease you into the game mechanics and classes. My initial and only experience with a MOBA (HoN I think) involved doing the tutorial and then joining a game on the instruction of the tutorial, only to get completely raged at for not buying all this specific gear out of a bewildering list of stuff and getting supremely annihilated at the same time. I'd like to learn a game in a reasonable manner and Hi-Rez seem to be on the right track here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    In the settings, there is an option called 'Green Arrow' or something. That gives your ranged gods an arrow pointing in the direction where their shots will fly.
    Sadly, I would like it on melee too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Sadly, I would like it on melee too.
    Your weapon will hit the dude in front of your character? It's a static camera, so it shouldn't be that hard to judge. I don't feel like I need one.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    new champ is pretty great. only played one game but i was able to hypercarry a team full of rather awful players (which i haven't found possible with that many champs).

great utility, defense and damage.

I'm still a steaming bag of turd at this game, but I've bought Hel, and dammit, I'm going to learn her.