Games I missed: Thief serie

Hi guys,

I never played much of the Thief serie. I played some levels of the third one but dropped it to play something else instead.
    Given how my taste evolves as i grow old (and grey, damn kids) I would like to give it another go.

Should I play the 3 of them or is the 3th one enough to catch the whole (main) story of Garett ?

Thanks,

Drayk

I recently played the first one for the first time, and I gave up about 6 levels in. It's not nearly as good as it's made out to be. There's an awful lot of getting lost. Apparently Thief 2 is better but I haven't given it any time yet.

Depends on how much you like stealth gameplay. If you're a fan of it, then I'd argue that you're missing out by skipping the first two games. Yes, the graphics are horrendous, but if you can get over that hump, they provide - in my opinion - the best stealth gameplay available.

From a story perspective, Thief 3 is pretty much self-contained (it had to be for fear of alienating Xbox players). There are a few references and characters that you might not immediately recognize if you don't play the first two games, but it won't impact on your play. If you only care about the story then I guess you could just play 3 and watch the cutscenes from 1 & 2 on Youtube or something.

But just to reiterate: if you like stealth, don't skip the first two games.

Network Hub
    Series. Like how it's pronounced.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I'm fan of stealth games and i didn't enjoyed third THIEF at all,never played first two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thief 2 is awesome. Worth playing for this alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    It's like I've seen this thread before.

The 2nd game is awesome. 3rd one is quite good too. The first and second games have ALOT of custom made maps available for them also (which you can grab over on the ttlg.com forums).

As far as Looking Glass Games are concerned, I was always more of a System Shock fan personally. But the Thief games certainly do have their own appeal and started the stealth genre of FPS games to a large extent.

Still remember my first encounter with Thief 2. It was the demo, which I got off a PC GAMER UK Demo-CD. After school I came home, installed the demo, and played through the one level in it. Then I looked up and 5 hours had gone by. It was 11 in the evening and my stomach was growling because while skulking around the world of Thief 2 I had completely forgotten to eat dinner.

Yes btw, one level in this game can take 5 hours to finish.

The next summer it may have been nice and sunny outside that didn't matter to me, I had finally gotten my hands on a copy of Thief 2. I was sitting in a dark room, shades draw, headphones on my ears and my face close to the monitor, creeping through dark alleys and castle-hallways. I was hooked. :D

In short, Thief 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Thief 3, on the other hand, removed the huge levels, rope-arrows and swimming, and introduced some unwelcome additions in their stead. On top of that it just felt... clunky. It wasn't a horrible game, but for most Thief-fans, like myself, it was a big let-down. The Cradle-level was cool but... it just doesn't compare to Thief 2, or 1.
    Last edited by Henke; 16-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Hmm, i'm the only one who likes Thief more than Thief 2 ? BONEHOARD, is all i can say to my defense. :)

Plenty of people over at TTLG.com like Thief over Thief 2. (or TDP over TMA if we're gonna talk like proper taffers)

I have to confess my preference of T2 over 1 has little to do with the quality of the games and a lot to do with there being a whole bunch less creepy spiders in T2. :|

Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    Thief 2 is awesome. Worth playing for this alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48
    I've been replaying Thief and Thief 2 since they appeared on Steam a couple of weeks ago, and I just got to that bit. It's not quite as good the second time through*, but the "you've gone too far" made me fall over with the laughter.

* because first time, you're preoccupied with thinking "oh jesus, four guards to get past ... how am I meant to do this?" before your ears start paying attention to what they're saying, and then you're just willing them to fight about it and the payoff when they _do_ fight about it is so much better.

____

Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    Hmm, i'm the only one who likes Thief more than Thief 2 ? BONEHOARD, is all i can say to my defense. :)
    Wait ... doesn't Bonehoard have zombies AND burricks? What kind of a madman are you that you actualy like that level?
    ____

On the actual topic: if you like stealth and don't mind outdated graphics, absolutely do not skip the first two Thief games.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 18-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Wait ... doesn't Bonehoard have zombies AND burricks? What kind of a madman are you that you actualy like that level?
    Yeah that was stupid. It was more like something out of Serious Sam than a stealth steampunk game. I didn't understand why they put zombies and burricks into the game at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I would say that Thief has aged very badly. It’s one of those games which is remembered for what it was about at the time of its release, rather than in absolute terms. There really was nothing like it in terms of Thief’s narrative, gameplay, mechanics, ideas etc. Like Half Life though it was such a game changer in terms of what it heralded that many good games have taken hose things on board and refined them, and there are better examples of more or less everything that it was about as a result.

I would recommend treating it as a curio and playing around with it a little, sneaking around manors was always the best bit in Thief and is still fun because of the panic you can create amongst the inhabitants. If you can find the demo anywhere that has Lord Bafford’s manner which is still a great level. To be honest even at the time it came out the zombie and burrick levels annoyed most people and they have only got worse with age. It is a game to dabble with I’d say, rather than complete from start to finish.

All the best things about it, and more besides, are still quite apparent in Thief II which is all about level design, level size, plot development, sneaking about and finding your own way through the city. If you can get past the dated presentation and clunkiness that is still an excellent game.
    No shame if not though-I would say that one of the biggest advances in game design in the past decade has been in intuitive interfaces and improved kinaesthetic projection, to the point that many games from that era, which are all about playing after all, are atrocious to actually play. Had I not played Thief II at release I probably wouldn’t have the patience to try and crack it now.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    If you can get past the dated presentation and clunkiness that is still an excellent game.
    Yeap, started playing ThiefII a few weeks ago, and it's really good if you can get past the horrible graphics.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Maybe he simply understands what made Thief good. Stealth, yes, but something else too, that was gone from the second game: eerie/scary atmosphere and a sense of adventure.

Oh, and enemy variety. That's nice to have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Maybe he simply understands what made Thief good. Stealth, yes, but something else too, that was gone from the second game: eerie/scary atmosphere and a sense of adventure.

fat, gassy dinosaurs do not equal eerie / scary atmosphere. If there was an eerie / scary atmosphere it was in that mansion with all the upside down rooms and whatnot.

Also enemy variety is nice, but again, not if they're fat gassy dinosaurs. Totally TOTALLY stood out like a sore thumb for me. Why not big guard dogs or something?

Banned
    Why would there be big guard dogs living in underground caves?

Why would there be big guard dogs living in underground caves?
    Why would there be belching dinos anywhere? ANYWHERE?

THIS.

The supernatural approach in Thief 1 was more to my liking. It's hard to describe why i found Thief 2 not that good. The plot with Karras and his minions was just too mundane to me. Because of all the mechanic stuff in Thief 2 the atmosphere from Thief was gone.
    Last edited by sk2k; 22-06-2012 at 05:54 AM.