Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Why don't you just call CyberPower since you bought it from them 6 months ago? It's probably still under warranty and if not most of the parts definitely are.

It really sounds like you have no idea what you are doing and need someone to walk you through various diagnostic steps. Even if one of us could help you, you will still need to call CyberPower anyway to get parts replaced (if it is indeed a hardware issue) so you might as well just call them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post

I do have an SSD, I can see it (I checked when checking where the RAM was and all...and yes, I Googled all this to know what I was looking for...), but it definitely isn't showing up anywhere, and yeah, that's concerning. There's a ehm...Gigabyte Touch Bios thing that loads when the computer starts and loads Windows off it (I couldn't remember the name earlier), and I was told that that's what the SSD is used for. But, at the same time, I was told it was used for some sort of backup/cache that makes loading Windows faster.
    Er, the BIOS loads off the motherboard, Windows should be installed on the SSD, that's what would make it load faster, unless it's some sort of hybrid drive that combines SSD and traditional HDD in one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yeah, go with the warranty.

Ram is the short term memory of the pc, part of it is improperly remembering (probably) this effects loading (files misload) and downloads (what you download might lie on the corrupted area).

Ram is used for EVERYTHING
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Er, the BIOS loads off the motherboard, Windows should be installed on the SSD, that's what would make it load faster, unless it's some sort of hybrid drive that combines SSD and traditional HDD in one.
    I really don't know then. That's what I was told

@Heliocentric/Hypernetic: I'll see if the warranty isn't expired by now. I can't remember off the top of my head.

@Heliocentric: I wasn't aware RAM was used for everything. I actually thought it was just used in the running of programs. Which, while technically that may encompass everything, I had thought things like downloads somehow bypassed RAM use.

Network Hub
    it amazes me that someone who "dabbles in programming" doesn't show much of an interest in the hardware you would be supposedly "programming".

Call up Cyberpower and tell them to fix it under sales of goods act. It should last a reasonable amount of time in a good running order, and they must either repair or replace it. Warranty doesnt even come into it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    it amazes me that someone who "dabbles in programming" doesn't show much of an interest in the hardware you would be supposedly "programming".

Call up Cyberpower and tell them to fix it under sales of goods act. It should last a reasonable amount of time in a good running order, and they must either repair or replace it. Warranty doesnt even come into it.
    The Sale of Goods Act only applies to the UK, the poster seems to be in the US. You wouldn't get anywhere with that in the UK anyway if it was outside the warranty period.

However, new electronics always come with a minimum 12 month warranty even in the US (as far as I know at least), so it really isn't going to be a problem.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    The Sale of Goods Act only applies to the UK, the poster seems to be in the US. You wouldn't get anywhere with that in the UK anyway if it was outside the warranty period.
    well, I did with HMV, when my really rather expensive Denon headphones started cracking even being handled with kid gloves. showed them the crack, showed them the numerous reviews or it happening, and they gave me a replacement there and then. It was a good while outside of normal warranty too.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    well, I did with HMV, when my really rather expensive Denon headphones started cracking even being handled with kid gloves. showed them the crack, showed them the numerous reviews or it happening, and they gave me a replacement there and then. It was a good while outside of normal warranty too.
    If you identify a design flaw it's another matter (although still rather difficult to prove). In practice though, retaillers will often do things like that just to keep customers happy and avoid causing a fuss (particularly the larger ones who's staff don't have a clue about retail law), it doesn't mean they're legally bound to do so.

It sounds like his SSD is actually installed as a cache. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology

This is a reasonable thing to do for someone who wants a high performance system but does not know how to manage one on their own and isn't going to drop big money for a big SSD storage bank.

Network Hub
    Before you go tearing your PC apart, I'd entertain the possibility that perhaps it's time to format your hard drive and reinstall the OS. I like to do this about every 6 months as I love to try out software, hack around with things, and generally be a big pest to my poor machine.

The need to reinstall your OS has decreased significantly since the 90's but it can still help streamline things. Just bear in mind you must back up all your data and perhaps some of your applications themselves since formatting will irreversibly delete the entire contents of your drive (or partition).

Please ask as many questions as you wish and we'll be glad to walk you through whatever you decide to do. :)

Well, I've been out of town so I've been a little slow to actually work on the issue, however decidedly bad of an idea that may be.

Just today, I finally got around to installing Microsoft Security Essentials (I have used it before, it's free, and it's really not annoying like Norton, Trend Micro [Trend Micro is nice, and has lots of features, but iirc, it took a lot of RAM and was generally pretty intrusive...I may be partially mixing it up with Norton though], etc) and after the Quick Scan, I started a Full Scan, checked back an hour-ish later and the computer had blue screened with a "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" error, which is an entirely new problem. Then, I started the computer back up, and after the usual crashing schtick, I started a new Full Scan, to which MSE shut itself off about 10 minutes later, and now I'm in the middle of a third attempt, but this isn't too promising of a sign.

I have actually had to format my computer before, but the drive isn't even half used up, and in general, the idea doesn't thrill me, even with backups.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Well, I've been out of town so I've been a little slow to actually work on the issue, however decidedly bad of an idea that may be.

Just today, I finally got around to installing Microsoft Security Essentials (I have used it before, it's free, and it's really not annoying like Norton, Trend Micro [Trend Micro is nice, and has lots of features, but iirc, it took a lot of RAM and was generally pretty intrusive...I may be partially mixing it up with Norton though], etc) and after the Quick Scan, I started a Full Scan, checked back an hour-ish later and the computer had blue screened with a "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" error, which is an entirely new problem. Then, I started the computer back up, and after the usual crashing schtick, I started a new Full Scan, to which MSE shut itself off about 10 minutes later, and now I'm in the middle of a third attempt, but this isn't too promising of a sign.

I have actually had to format my computer before, but the drive isn't even half used up, and in general, the idea doesn't thrill me, even with backups.
    really, just take it back.

at the worst, this is a motherboard issue with the storage controller, or even a provblem with the on-cpu memory controller being damaged. At best, this is a failing hard disk or SSD, or stick of RAM playing up.

Obscure Node
    I have no clue where to put this so I just looked up an old thread and decided to reply on it, since I can't figure out for the life of me how to create a new thread.

I am experiencing a similar problem with a computer that I recieved about a month or two ago. It had some damages once it came but they didn't seem to be severe or any cause inside of the computer - rather just the case - but it has been progressively going downhill since then. My games run fine and all, though now I am recieving this really weird stuttering once I load up a new page in Chrome or open any other program on my computer. This is mostly noticable when I am listening to music using Spotify, or talking to friends on skype.
    Any ideas? I barely have anything on it except from WoW and that is pretty much it. If it helps, I am using two screens though disconnecting one and only running on the other one didn't seem to fix the issue at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
    I have no clue where to put this so I just looked up an old thread and decided to reply on it, since I can't figure out for the life of me how to create a new thread.

I am experiencing a similar problem with a computer that I recieved about a month or two ago. It had some damages once it came but they didn't seem to be severe or any cause inside of the computer - rather just the case - but it has been progressively going downhill since then. My games run fine and all, though now I am recieving this really weird stuttering once I load up a new page in Chrome or open any other program on my computer. This is mostly noticable when I am listening to music using Spotify, or talking to friends on skype.
    Any ideas? I barely have anything on it except from WoW and that is pretty much it. If it helps, I am using two screens though disconnecting one and only running on the other one didn't seem to fix the issue at all.
    You can't create a new thread until you have a few posts under your belt (not sure the exact number - seems to vary)

To answer your question we really need to know a LOT more

1 - you say stuttering - what's stuttering? Sound? Images? PC Performance? What EXACTLY is the problem
    2 - what CPU, motherboard, GPU, version of Windows and SSD/HDDs do you have (anything else you feel might be relevant - feel free to include that too)
    3 - have you ensured all the correct drivers for the motherboard/GPU/sound etc. are installed and up-to-date

That should do for starters

Network Hub
    My money would be on a driver issue. I've seen similar symptoms that were caused by wifi drivers.

Obscure Node
    All right, that explains it :)

Bear with me since I am a complete noob when it comes to computers and everything that has to do with it. The computer is very new, if that helps. I also looked up the specs with DXDiag

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
    Language: Swedish (Regional Setting: Swedish)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7821
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/06/14 15:28:27 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
    Page File: 5419MB used, 13336MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 780

Sorry for wall of text but I hope that this helps. The drivers should be up to date as I check it every day. The stuttering is more like, say, I open up chrome and go to youtube. I put on a video and open a new tab, and then it lags or stutters for about a second as it loads the page. I am currently downloading a game on steam and it happens more frequently now, even as I am not opening a new tab or even touching my computer at all - just listening to music, for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So are we talking about network lag then? You're not being 100% clear about the problem really.

Steaming video/audio 'stuttering' is more likely a network issue but... are you using a Wifi or wired connection - have you run any network tests/speed tests etc?

Obscure Node
    It could very well be the network, but it seems very unlikely... The problem doesn't feel like a network problem, and it is also very hard to explain it. It is as if every time I load something, whether it be a new page on chrome or steam, I get a sort of lag. It is mostly noticable when I have some music or a video running in the background.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
    It could very well be the network, but it seems very unlikely... The problem doesn't feel like a network problem, and it is also very hard to explain it. It is as if every time I load something, whether it be a new page on chrome or steam, I get a sort of lag. It is mostly noticable when I have some music or a video running in the background.
    If you have "lag" playing local videos it's not the network. Not sure about the drivers, I would be on hardware problems.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Obscure Node
    Update:

I tried installing the drivers for my motherboard and this seemed to do the trick. Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    Intel Chipset Driver.
    Haven't recieved any lag at all after that.

Edit 2: A few hours after installing the drivers and trying to place some games, I seem to recieve the same issue once more. Could it be that my computer gets too heated? It is really odd.
    Last edited by Zelu; 14-05-2014 at 09:11 PM.