Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Is it NOX?

I haven't played it in a while, so I forget if there was XP, but I know your character was a modern day person thrown into a medieval world, so the hot pants and bra could fit.

I almost went with Fable until I realized the world itself wasn't randomly generated. Hmmm... this is a hard one
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

I thought Minecraft for a bit but he said it was not an obscure little indie title.

I have no idea, will you PM me the name through? Sounds fun, won't spoil it for anyone, promise. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Daggerfall?

Guild Wars? When you start a pvp char at top lvl you dont xp or level up and still have char progression.

My guess is one of the early Elder Scrolls Games. Either Arena or Daggerfall.
    Typical fantasy setting.
    Randomised landscape.
    Ability to choose nude or non nude mode at start.
    No traditional xp gathering.
    Single player.

Down side
    Never played it so don't know whether you'd call the combat fun.
    Don't know whether you count MS-DOS as DOS or not.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

revenant is the first thing that pops up in my head but I'm not sure if it has randomly generated stuff.

Earlier elder scrolls had character levelling, a lot of attributes & skills, nothing like the crap from nowadays. The landscape wasn't randomized for Arena, and neither for Daggerfall (it was randomized when the devs created the world for this one, but it didn't change for the players). I'd say they are pretty much disqualified.

I also thought of Nox as Oneironaut said, but it had levelling and a skills system and if I remember correctly the protagonist was a guy named Jack so there was no gender choice. My only guess would be something similar to... Legend of Zelda? But they aren't for PC and I can't remember many clones on this platform.
    Last edited by Battle Programmer Spike; 16-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Indeed, I've been toying with an idea to just make a thread about unusual games and use this one as an example. But I decided this way would be more fun, the thread will be more future proof and we may (still) uncover some other interesting games.

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    It says it's not DOS. Any more specific would be too easy.

'combat is very fun' is rather subjective, no?
    Up to a point. Some people don't consider Heroes of Might and Magic(1-3) a fun game. But most people like it for its tactical combat. Without it, it would be just another Warlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    Is it NOX?

I haven't played it in a while, so I forget if there was XP, but I know your character was a modern day person thrown into a medieval world, so the hot pants and bra could fit.
    No, it's not Nox :-). I'm a big fan of that game, but I wouldn't call it an RPG. An action-RPG perhaps, but it's an action game first and foremost. And a good one at that.
    Nox has experience points, but they're meaningless since there's no grinding and only a single playthrough. In multiplayer everyone starts at max level, too. Nox has character levels, xp points, stats, and no random level generation.

Okay, a hint is in order. The game was released in 1997. I'll update the first post. And another one.

I'm not sure Wizardry would call it an RPG.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 16-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    pass

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I'm not sure Wizardry would call it an RPG.
    Well that limits it down.

New guess Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

I can't imagine a female Kain. Not to mention Kain wearing hotpants and bra. I was thinking Hexen II now that you mentioned the year... but it would be disqualified as well because of the levelling and gender thingie (well, the assassin was female... but no hotpants :P)

Hexen II ? Extreme customization ? As in, using one of 4 weapons a class has ? Randomly generated world ?
    pass

It could be...it might be.... erm...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!

I don't even care.
    Dylan Moran

Turn-based combat? Eastern or Western?

Okay, time for someone else to come up with a riddle. Since no one guessed it and people are getting bored, whoever comes up with the riddle first is allowed to post it.

Solution to Riddle1: Magic the Gathering - Shandalar
    The last game MicroProse worked on. Sid Meier was one of designers.

It's based on cards but it still plays like an old-school RPG game.

- Character creation ? Check.
    - Character development ? Check.
    - Character customization ? Check.
    - Towns ? Quests ? Dungeons ? Random encounters ? Check.
    - Randomly generated world ? Check.
    - Food ? Magic items ? Gold ? Buying/selling "equipment" and supplies ? Check.
    - end-game bosses ? Check.
    - fantasy world, with wizards, creatures, magic etc ? Check.

All character progression is done in the form of cards. When you duel someone, you cast spells from cards - creatures, artifacts, enchantments and others. As the time goes you get access to more spells and more powerful ones, including cards banned in M:tg because they were too powerful (like Black Lotus, Mox Diamond, Pearl, Sapphire, Emerald, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk...). Your deck typically has 40-60 cards, with a rule of thumb that 1/3 of it should be lands because they're your mana source. So in a 60 card deck you can easily have 40 unique spells, and there are literally hundreds of cards to choose from, spread across 5 colors (+ colorless cards, artifacts and artifact creatures).

Hotpants, as promised:
    hotpants.jpg
    Roasting a marshmallow with flame breath comes free of charge.

Some music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbuDErwwV5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDw_AjR8Wk

There are perhaps 10 tunes like that, some of them quite memorable and they all loop. They remind me of Master of Magic wizard tunes. Each town has a music assigned to it, and you can hear it getting louder as you get closer to it.

A decent "Let's Play" video (but the guy is playing extremely fast, talks a lot and makes mistakes):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCnE...feature=relmfu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pass

Sounds awesome, anywhere online it can be found or is it one of those hard to find ones?

I'm not going to post a link because I'd be burned at a stake. But I can recommend a modern fan-developed version designed to run on modern computers. It's called Slightlymagic.
    pass

I shall definitely have a look :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    New one?

Real-time strategy similar to The Sims
    It's not The Sims
    Manage a group's needs
    Develop relationships
    Improve buildings
    No really, it's not The Sims