Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terraria

Activated Node

Terraria

In response to this article I just wanted to say a few things:
    -The Official Wiki is much better and trustworthy than the fan-made one.
    -True to popular belief, the game is at least 71x better when played with friends. Maybe 72x.
    -Servers are incredibly easy to start up, and require little RAM to maintain (unlike Minecraft....sigh) especially if you use Hamachi.
    -The grappling hook is great.
    -The game is being updated constantly.
    -I would love to play with some RPSers some time. :)

Banned
    i will play you if you gift it me

I to would like to play with some other RPSers now I have armour etc. There is already a steam group though it currently seems a touch inactive.

Playing with one's girlfriend is a rewarding and epeen building experience.
    "Kiss the hand of the arm you cannot break, while praying to God to break it for you." - Arabian Proverb

I spent almost 20 hours with this thing and I'm terribly disappointed. It's looking well, I admit, but sounds dull and those two tracks goin' on a loop for more than an hour made me play with Foobar running in the background, and - what's more important - the gameplay isn't anywhere as fun as it was promised to be. I know that the multiplayer's cool, or at least it seems so, but I have no time in my life for multiplayer and I don't really want to set up servers, make my friends join (and but the game...), nor I want to join anybody else's servers. Single-player wise this game made me fall asleep after two hours played straight and it was a problem 'cause I had to write a review quickly... So yeah, it was painful.

But well, my problem is that this game takes FOREVER to become interesting. It's digging and digging and hitting skeletons with a pickaxe for 10 hours and you still don't get even half of the stuff they thrown in to the trailers.

Or maybe I don't understand what's so special about this game when it really did sell 200,000 copies in a week?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The stuff RPS has written about this game makes it sound very interesting, the gameplay videos make it look very uninteresting. A 2d Minecraft with a sense of progression and a lot of stuff to find/make is a very interesting thing to me, a Metroidvania side scrolling action game is not. I can't seem to get a clear read on what this game really is.

Well it's not Minecraft in 2d. yes, you can build houses but the exploration part of the game is the focus here. It's a metroidvania with a minecraft touch, an exploration and fight game that uses a deep crafting system as the basis for it's upgrades.

I suggest trying it out, it really is incredible. :)

Terraria Vs Myst

Terraria is a bit like.. playing Myst if it were a D'ni childs-tutorial to creating fun worlds.

The reason I say that is, because you create worlds, then you enter servers with worlds of their own, but it is the same character. Your inventory nor status nor anything is "left behind", you leave behind what you really leave behind.

What this translates to me is that you have as many "homeworlds" as you want, with each their own inventory and look and whatever, and you can then join a server to interact with players, and carve out a world together. you could even log off, and fetch something from a homeworld, then log on again to produce it there.

Hence the Myst-kind of feel. In Myst, worlds are written by people that have that gift, entire civilizations created with dangers, marvels, and so on. (even though they dont really write the worlds, they just operate on the principle that you "link" to an existing world, and there are infinite number of alternate realities) So basically, even though Myst is nothing about combat or leveling or mining or building or whatever, as a game in a game, it definitely feels like it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree with the Myst idea. On Terraria you are somewhat like a "planar traveller".

Activated Node
    Yeah that's a good way to describe it. Unlike Minecraft you don't have to start over every time you want to play with friends/make a new world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I spent almost 20 hours with this thing and I'm terribly disappointed. It's looking well, I admit, but sounds dull and those two tracks goin' on a loop for more than an hour made me play with Foobar running in the background, and - what's more important - the gameplay isn't anywhere as fun as it was promised to be. I know that the multiplayer's cool, or at least it seems so, but I have no time in my life for multiplayer and I don't really want to set up servers, make my friends join (and but the game...), nor I want to join anybody else's servers. Single-player wise this game made me fall asleep after two hours played straight and it was a problem 'cause I had to write a review quickly... So yeah, it was painful.

But well, my problem is that this game takes FOREVER to become interesting. It's digging and digging and hitting skeletons with a pickaxe for 10 hours and you still don't get even half of the stuff they thrown in to the trailers.

Or maybe I don't understand what's so special about this game when it really did sell 200,000 copies in a week?
    Hmm? 20-25 hours was enough for me to see most of what the game has to offer. I was playing with a friend for most of that time, but it increases the number of enemies accordingly in multiplayer. I loved the exploration and progression, delving into caves and hunting ore. Once I actually had the fancy stuff shown in the trailers it became a lot less fun, because I'm not interested in trying to build giant gold castles for no reason other than showing off.

I had much the same experience as Kelron - there was a great sense of impetus to gather fancy things and make fancy tools and armour, but once I'd achieved that, it fell a little flat.

I'll keep an eye and see what gets added with patches

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I did glance over their dev blogs with vague plans for the future. They had some interesting ideas to extend the challenge, such as alternative dimensions and larger invasions with rival towns being built.

Terraria is nice. I was addicted to it for a week, playing on a server with a friend. But I feel that there's a problem with it. A sandbox game can't be a sandbox game with so much DIRECTION. The tiered system of armor and weapons, the new areas to explore- they're all just something to build up to, rather than something you might get to make the job of building easier. This game isn't about building- it's about exploring. There's nothing wrong with that, but I was looking forward to something more long-lasting. Perhaps my designs for a two-dimensional Minecraft game aren't all for naught.

I quite enjoy the Myst viewpoint. I've actually restarted my worlds three times now as I slowly figure out what the game is about. I was put off at first, but once I moved to a small-size world and looked at a few things on the wiki, I'm excited to see more.

I do wish there was more direction inside the game; the wiki's nice, but I have had a fair number of things "spoiled" for me as a result. Of course, without some of those spoilers I'd have no idea what to work towards, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by amishmonster View Post
    I quite enjoy the Myst viewpoint. I've actually restarted my worlds three times now as I slowly figure out what the game is about. I was put off at first, but once I moved to a small-size world and looked at a few things on the wiki, I'm excited to see more.

I do wish there was more direction inside the game; the wiki's nice, but I have had a fair number of things "spoiled" for me as a result. Of course, without some of those spoilers I'd have no idea what to work towards, so it's a bit of a catch-22.
    That's exactly what my situation was when I got the game; I wasn't sure exactly what the features of the game were until I browsed the wiki and learned a lot of things that would have been nice to learn on my own, but it did help me immensely. I've just acquired full Necro armor and I'm saving up some Hellstone but I think I'm going to take a break from adventuring and build a giant Biosphere-type city.

I think thats one of the reasons why Multiplayer is so highly prized. My experience on that RPS server a while ago taught me a lot about the game, and the people were so nice! It was awesome having that experience, even though I had to go and create more and new tunnels. (it actually never became boring because I played in one or two hour bursts, and I always looked for something different in a world)

Now, I think Myst, Terraria and that procedurally single-but-meta-player space exploration game Noctis should have a bastard child.

Hm. I think I just described what I could put in my starcontrolesque.. nevermind! secrets! :D

I too was hesitant when I realised that I'd have to <a href="http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki">RTFW</a>. I was going to be stuck swatting away slimes, zombies and flying eyes for hours without being given any direction. The quicksandbox effect. Reading the wiki would stop that from happening but I knew I was going to ruin the joy of discovery. There's nothing that matches the joy of finding a brand new artifact in a chest, where you have no idea what it does and you get to play with it, experiment with it and try new equipment builds. That's all part of the discovery process. Sure you get the same sence of discovey and wonderment reading the wiki, but the feeling is fleeting, maybe an hour of fulfillment condensed into the time it takes you to read the wiki entry. Armed with that knowledge you know exactly what to do with an item when you find it, organic discovery resolved into a logical deduction. It's not how a sandbox game should be played.

What Terraria needs is a way to hint and tease you into exploring the world, its systems and its mechanics from within the game world or at least the game client. The guide NPC goes some way to get you going but it's not enough. Minecraft is trying to solve the problem with it's achievement tree. Could something similar work for Terraria? Could the crafting interface be changed to hint at items you can nearly build. Could all the NPCs offer up dialogue in context to what items/ores you have gained and what types of monsters you have killed. Could they offer advice if you keep dying in a particular way or to a certain monster/boss. If the player can set new goals for themselves using information learned in the game or from other players and without having to go read a webpage then so much the better. Terraria does actually do this in a few places, it just needs to do it a lot more.

I think it needs the barest element of a plot.

As in the amount Metroid had - find X or kill X.

Like I don't know... get to the underworld to return your loved on to life. Defeat the 5 demons to save your world. Something like that. Otherwise its just get loot to get loot to get loot...

What's the deal with the multiplayer aspect of this game? Anyone know?