Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Terraria

What's the deal? You keep your sp character, and there tends to be a fairly good infrastructure of NPCs and forts around the place, and collaborative exploration is a lot of fun. Bigger projects are easier to make and maintain, although briefing is possible (whoever spread the corruption to the spawn in the old Iceraiser server is a scumbag).

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    What's the deal with the multiplayer aspect of this game? Anyone know?
    It's tremendously fun. We've got an unofficial server up (83.226.176.41, port 7777, password is three letters and lower case, and incredibly obvious), courtesy of IceRaiser, the lovable Swede.

Goblin invasions become so much more fun when you're playing with friends/comrades/mortal enemies. There's nothing more rewarding than holding off hordes of goblins with your friends/comrades/mortal enemies, other than rocket boots.
    Last edited by StrangLove; 04-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.

If you feel aimless in the world, then the game is not for you. I guess its that that it shares with the minecrafty games.

Well...

I have a full set of Hellstone items. I'm thinking of going to the dungeon.

But what's the point?

I'll just find some more items.

If I knew of the existence of the Skeleton boss by some means other than the wiki I might be inclined to seek it out. If there was an in game quest to find out how to fight him I might be more interested.

I'm enjoying it but it could be better with the tiniest hint of a point.

Its NOT like Minecraft because building isn't fun. Its like Metroid - and Super Metroid is possibly my favourite ever game - but it lacks an objective.

IMO would be much better if it was like say, Diablo - kill the big boss at the end. Need not be more involved and fundamentally wouldn't affect anyone who wants to play it as the currently play it.

Basically its not a deep enough sandbox to be compelling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I really think reading the wiki from the off has ruined it for a lot of people. I went in with a vague idea of what the game contained from LP videos, but other than that it was me and a friend working it out for ourselves. We found crafting recipes by filling our inventories with all the junk we had and seeing what came out, we fought our first boss because I was running around underground chucking dynamite at stuff to see what happened. Your objective is the progression, you want to equip yourself to survive, you want to be able to take on the giant monsters and bend the world to your will. That's why it runs out of steam when there's no progression left, but it's still a hugely enjoyable game up to that point.

Oh don't get me wrong I played it solid for a day and a half...

Not done that since...

Minecraft actually :)

Gonna hang out on the RPS unofficial server I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    "Mhhm. I guess I should check out Terraria's RPS server"
    "Cool bulding I wonder... HOLY SHIT!"
    *Giant Eye attacks*
    *Dies fifty times*
    "Okay. it's over let's..."
    *Army of goblins attacks from the west*
    *Dies fifty times*
    *Also: double bloodmoon*

most intense 20 min I had played in a while of any game. Next time i guess i need my character to wear and use better equipment than iron sword and iron bow with wooden arrows...

was fun even tough I was completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    "Mhhm. I guess I should check out Terraria's RPS server"
    "Cool bulding I wonder... HOLY SHIT!"
    *Giant Eye attacks*
    *Dies fifty times*
    "Okay. it's over let's..."
    *Army of goblins attacks from the west*
    *Dies fifty times*
    *Also: double bloodmoon*

most intense 20 min I had played in a while of any game. Next time i guess i need my character to wear and use better equipment than iron sword and iron bow with wooden arrows...

was fun even tough I was completely useless.
    Trust me when I say that it's not usually that hectic. I've never had a bloodmoon-goblin-bloodmoon before. It's insane fun :D

So is that RPS server still around? Anyone interested in hosting one?

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    It's tremendously fun. We've got an unofficial server up (83.226.176.41, port 7777, password is three letters and lower case, and incredibly obvious), courtesy of IceRaiser, the lovable Swede.
    rumpus is six letters. I'm confused.

:P

Sliversilence:

Sliversilence:
    Yeah just saw that. Hopped on for a bit earlier and it was great fun :)

I May just have to go on later. :o

also I finally posted the IP to the steam group. can the person that started it please make it an announcement?

This game is amazing. We've put together a group of six in a big world, and each of us have a small world in addition. We hop between worlds, strip-mining the small world to fuel our expansion in our big world. We feel like exploitative D'ni badasses.

We also have a strict no-wiki policy, so we're bumbling around and figuring things out for ourselves. We recently figured out how to summon the you-know-what, and that was an amazingly gory good time.

Hail to the D'ni!

EDIT: I also just found out you can set the resolution to 1920*1080. Ive been playing in 800*600 all this time! (windowed though)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 05-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Ha, I only recently discovered the same thing. It was tremendously liberating to suddenly be playing at 1680x1050 after that tiny window. Unfortunately, now part of the illusion is shattered because I can see far enough that I notice enemies spawning within my field of view. Oh well, still love the game.

This thread is making me want to get the game and join the RPS server.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Today I killed my first boss! Stupid eye tried to ambush me when I was building a new village. It sucked for him that I was preparing for that fight.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Today I killed my first boss! Stupid eye tried to ambush me when I was building a new village. It sucked for him that I was preparing for that fight.
    Hah, nice. My first boss fight was when I crafted a Suspicious Looking Eye at my SP demon altar and brought it on my buddy's server. I just mined for a bit until he logged on then I summoned it. My friend had 110 hp and a full set of copper armor. XD We then proceeded to slaughter the Eye in an epic battle that literally lasted all night. It was 3:30 am when we finally finished him.

Goblin Invasion has to have been the most fun I had on multiplayer, though.