Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Nice.

10char
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I say Kill Bill (1 and 2)--The opening shot of Kill Bill one ("Bill, it's your ba"--BANG!) is one of the most brilliant, brutal, shocking openings to any film ever, I think. Plus the first knife fight between Vivica A Fox and Uma Thurman might be my favorite fight in the whole film...again just because it's so brutal and ends so abruptly. But that film is consistently awesome on a whole bunch of different levels.

I really like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" as well. At the time I saw it, especially, it blew my mind as I'd never seen anything like it. Of course I've since seen the films that influenced it, but I still think it's a solid kung Fu melodrama.

Plus, while I think it's easy to dismiss now just because it's been ripped off so many times that it's become a bit old hat (not the mention the subpar sequels), but I think alot of people forget just how awesome "The Matrix" was. At the time of its release there was really nothing else like it. Unfortunately I think it's one of those films that because so influential that all the pop culture it inspired eventually diminished the film itself somewhat, but it still holds up as a damn good action film.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 30-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post

Action movies are tricky. My favourite kung fu movie is Hero (Ying Xiong), but they don't really compare to shooty gun action movies. Hell, Hero is hard to compare to something like Ong Bak or Drunken Master just like Crouching Tiger is.
    Hero's OK, but I prefer "Curse of the Jade Scorpion." Like Hero it's beautifully photographed and choreographed, but its tone is more of a heightened Shakespearean tragedy (ala King Lear) which grounds some of the melodrama and plot twists a bit better than Hero does (I always thought Hero's plot was a bit silly, even if it's always pretty to look at).

Maybe it's just my fault, but I could never get in to Ong Bak, though. It had awesome stunts, true, but the plot was essentially just any direct to video action movie from the 1980s/early 90s. And the photography and direction weren't that great (which I think are super important in films like this as good direction will take what would otherwise just be a dry stunt reel and turn it in to something interesting). I've heard its sequels were better, though, so maybe I should give them a second chance.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 30-06-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Less 80s American macho and more 60s Japanese b-movie: Tokyo Drifter. Best of all time? Probably not. Really good? Probably yes.
    Yes, awesome. I have a fondness for B Japanese exploitation films from the 60s and 70s.

I'd also highly, highly, recommend "Female Convict Scorpion from Jailhouse 41.":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226874/

It's beautifully shot, cinemascope, brutality--but with a sort of stylized Godard-esque sense of distanced cool about it. Tarrantino cribbed a bunch from its style in making the Kill Bills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Hero's OK, but I prefer "Curse of the Jade Scorpion." Like Hero it's beautifully photographed and choreographed, but its tone is more of a heightened Shakespearean tragedy (ala King Lear) which grounds some of the melodrama and plot twists a bit better than Hero does (I always thought Hero's plot was a bit silly, even if it's always pretty to look at).
    Woody Allen directed a martial arts film?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I say Kill Bill (1 and 2)--The opening shot of Kill Bill one ("Bill, it's your ba"--BANG!) is one of the most brilliant, brutal, shocking openings to any film ever, I think. Plus the first knife fight between Vivica A Fox and Uma Thurman might be my favorite fight in the whole film...again just because it's so brutal and ends so abruptly. But that film is consistently awesome on a whole bunch of different levels
    I loved the first part of Kill Bill, but the second just seemed to be too much exposition, too little action. While the balance wasn't probably quite as bad as it is in my mind the ending dragged on and lay it on a little too thick. It might just be because I saw the first part at the cinema with my sister and we disturbed people sitting nearby by laughing at the over-the-top action and especially the gory bits, maybe we were brought up on cartoons, but there is nothing as funny as limbs getting severed in an unrealistic silly way.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Woody Allen directed a martial arts film?
    Oh, I meant "Curse of the Golden flower," lol.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Just started watching first KIll Bill for the first time,allot of people are praising it so lets hope i'll like it.

Terminator 2 is my favorite action movie of all time but in the last 10 years I have to say it's Deadly Crossing with Steven Seagal. Maybe it's because I just saw it - but it's seriously awesome. It reminds me of his older stuff like Under Siege. Definitely worth a look - especially if you're a fan of the True Justice series he has.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    In my opinion Terminator 2 is still best action movie of all times,whats yours ?
    Correct.

But the original Die Hard is on a par.

Can't believe nobody mentioned this one yet...

Going by trailers Deadbeat At Dawn looks fucking badarse.

Oh, and motherfucking Riki-Oh, because that shit is insane. I'd link to the Riki vs. Oscar fight scene which is basically the entire film in a nutshell but I couldn't find one that wasn't flagged so here's the trailer instead.

Of all time: Aliens

In the last 10 years: The Raid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I have two posts ITT and they're both wrong.
    Bad Boys 2 is the best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just about everything posted here is great, but you have to give top honors to Die Hard. It's just a perfect film.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Kick Ass. Yep, it was an action film lol
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?