Okami HD coming to PS3

At the moment it's PSN only, fingers crossed for a retail release also.

Along with Journey and The Unfinished Swan this is shaping up as one of my few PS3 purchases for 2012, assuming Sony doesn't pull The Last Guardian out of their ass in the next few months. Mind you I haven't even got to playing the MGS or Ico/SotC remasters yet so I can hardly complain...
    Last edited by Rii; 20-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Still have my copy of this for PS2, though I don't have said console anymore, definitely looking to buy one again.

Seems awesome, Okami is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm interested to see how much of a difference there really is though, because the PS2 version doesn't look that bad at all. I don't see them crediting Clover anywhere either, which makes me sad. Still though, amazing game and I'll most likely end up getting it. Thanks for mentioning The Unfinished Swan, hadn't heard of it before and it looks really interesting.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    You know what would be even more awesome, a fucking PC version!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Rii, you should get on to SotC immediately. That game is really something special. I had never played it until I got the HD pack for PS3. It was actually one of the reasons I bought a PS3 in the first place, back when it was first announced. I went into it after hearing about how amazing the game was for years and years, so my expectations were through the roof, and it STILL surpassed them. It's one of those games that stays with you for months after you beat it.

As for this Okami release, I'm pumped as hell for it. Love that game. It's still the best looking game I've ever played. I only ever played the Wii version, and it was one of the few games I kept when I traded in 90% of my Wii library. I haven't played it a second time because I am just completely over motion controls. This new release looks right up my alley. And only $20 too.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    The art style sure is gorgeous. Love the thick inky lines and swirly animation. I just wonder whether a television console is the right platform for a game about painting. I heard the DS version was something special and you'd think the game would find huge success on tablets. Touch controls would add so much to this mechanic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I would donate someone's kidney for SotC on PC, Thankfully snake eater came to 3DS (I'll get one of them when the next DS comes out.) and Okami came out on the Wii I got for my kids to pay boom blocks and mario galaxy (Not a nintendo fanboy)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    The art style sure is gorgeous. Love the thick inky lines and swirly animation. I just wonder whether a television console is the right platform for a game about painting. I heard the DS version was something special and you'd think the game would find huge success on tablets. Touch controls would add so much to this mechanic.
    Okamiden on the DS started out great, but I was really hating it by the end and struggled to finish it. It felt like they had reached the end of the story, but still wanted another 6-8 hours of gameplay so they could tote it as a 24 hour game. The last several hours of the game had some completely uninspired environments, essentially just repeating platforms and enemy encounters. Then there was the good old boss gauntlet, forcing you to beat every boss you've already beaten for the sake of adding an hour of gameplay.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Okamiden on the DS started out great, but I was really hating it by the end and struggled to finish it. It felt like they had reached the end of the story, but still wanted another 6-8 hours of gameplay so they could tote it as a 24 hour game. The last several hours of the game had some completely uninspired environments, essentially just repeating platforms and enemy encounters. Then there was the good old boss gauntlet, forcing you to beat every boss you've already beaten for the sake of adding an hour of gameplay.
    How did you like the touch controls? Was the DS the right platform for the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The stylus controls were great. The only thing lacking in the control department was having to use the D-pad to navigate a 3D world, but that was easily forgivable. Again, the first 80-90% of the game was great, but it felt like they stretched it out at the end to meet some artificial length mandate. If you have a DS, by all means get the game. It's actually a direct sequel to the original game. You play as the descendants of some characters from the first game, and will see some familiar faces and locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosm View Post
    Seems awesome, Okami is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm interested to see how much of a difference there really is though, because the PS2 version doesn't look that bad at all.
    I guess it all depends upon how much work they're putting into the remaster. Some have been pretty pathetic *cough* Ubisoft's *cough* whilst others have gone to the effort of using higher-resolution textures, retouching artwork where appropriate, applying new effects like depth of field, etc.

But hey, if nothing else they've gone to the effort of producing this droolworthy high-res wallpaper for the project. xD

Thanks for mentioning The Unfinished Swan, hadn't heard of it before and it looks really interesting.
    Yup. Would be totally up RPS' alley if not for, y'know, PS3. Teaser for anyone else not already acquainted:

Rii, you should get on to SotC immediately. That game is really something special. I had never played it until I got the HD pack for PS3. It was actually one of the reasons I bought a PS3 in the first place, back when it was first announced. I went into it after hearing about how amazing the game was for years and years, so my expectations were through the roof, and it STILL surpassed them. It's one of those games that stays with you for months after you beat it.
    I'm definitely looking forward to it when the time comes. Though to be honest, this sort of talk is more likely to make me leave it till last so that whatever follows isn't a disappointment. Maybe if I didn't have to sleep... or if I didn't waste time posting on forums. ;)

Okami [....] was one of the few games I kept when I traded in 90% of my Wii library.
    Haha. For me it was Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Just look at this remaster as getting the preliminary work done for eventually bringing the game to tablet hardware. I suspect we'll see quite a few touch-enabled re-releases of old console (and PC) titles in the years ahead.

Okamiden on the DS started out great, but I was really hating it by the end and struggled to finish it. It felt like they had reached the end of the story, but still wanted another 6-8 hours of gameplay so they could tote it as a 24 hour game.
    On an only-slightly related note I got a kick out of the following comment (from 'Rack') over at Eurogamer:

Will they increase the text speed on this one? I'm a busy guy and if they could cut the playtime from 40 hours to 15 this way that would make it much more enjoyable.

Seriously, I really hope they adjust the text presentation in some fashion. Too slow, too many button presses required.
    Last edited by Rii; 21-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Haha. I wasn't bothered by the text speed that much, to be honest. That comment is still hilarious though. I traded in both Mario Galaxies, as I had already 100% them and couldn't see ever having the time to get back into them. I held onto TP, Okami, RE 4, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Rune Factory:Frontier. I love that last one way more than I should. When it gets its claws in you, it's hard to play anything else. I think I have like 60 hours in it, and I'm not even through my first "year" in game.

Activated Node
    This is good news. This should make me look sharper than I already do.

Someone needs an Amaterasu avatar!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    You know what would be even more awesome, a fucking PC version!
    We already have one.

Activated Node
    I have a Amaterasu phone strap. Will that do?