Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Building "Budget" Gaming Rig (600 euros)

So with what would you go if you had 600,last time i build rig it was in late 07 so i'm little out with hardware lol.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    the budget is for full PC? or can you reuse old components like monitor?

I trust maximumpc.com with my computing life, so look into them. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...ds_-_june_2012
    That's a basic rundown of a good setup.
    I would need to know more information about what you are going to be using the computer for. How many monitors? What resolution? Air cooling or liquid cooling? Building it yourself? Give us as much information as possible about how it will be used (what games and at what level of detail) and tell us what you can reuse from your current desktop, such as keyboard, optical drives, monitor, etc.

Well obviously its going to be for gaming

Building "Budget" Gaming Rig (600 euros)
    :D

I already have Samsung 22 inch monitor with 2 ms time,5.1 surround system,keyboard and mouse.

What is the resolution on the monitor?
    And what type of games? There's a big difference between wanting to play WOW, BF3, Total War games, etc.
    I only use dollars, so 760 bucks (600 euros ish I think?) isn't going to get you a ton.
    I would start with a sandy bridge i5 processor.

Here is a starting point. I don't know what to do about motherboards at this point, since I'm not very familiar with ivy bridge yet.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/awF5

I usually go with TechReport, they publish system guides on a regular basis (i.e. whenever market conditions change significantly). And obviously Hard Choices on RPS is another good source.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantocrator
    I only use dollars, so 760 bucks (600 euros ish I think?) isn't going to get you a ton.

The exchange rate is misleading, with technology 1 $ = 1 € when we're lucky...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I'd start Here and here. Those allow you to select the budget you need.

If you want, I can give you what I would do with a 600 euro budget, using the website "Alternate.nl" for my buying needs - a pity, since I don't think they are shipping to Slovania. However, you can use this "Hypothetic build" as a sample

Motherboard:
    THe MSI H61M-E33 - 55 Euros.
    Since the Intel Socket 1155 processors are extremely good at gaming, we need a motherboard that supports the things. This is a cheaper motherboard, hosting only one PCI express 2.0 slot (3.0 is out, but there is no measurable perforamnce difference, since the theoretical maximum speed of the 2.0 slots has not been reached yet). This basic motherboard should therefore provide your needs.

Processor:
    The i3 2120 - 115 euros
    The i3 2120 is a very good "Mid Range" gaming CPU (Arguably, the I5s are actually mid range, but the I7s do not offer anything above the fastest I5s when it comes to gaming, so I class the I5 as "high end"), and is a faster gamer then any CPU AMD has released to date. Therefore, it is ideal for our purposes. The Processor should come with its own cooling attached, but you might want to buy a seperate fan.

Memory:
    Kingston 8GB DDR3 "ValueRam" - 50 euros
    Kingston is my personal favorite RAM and USB stick manufacturer, in my experience, they provide you with very reliable products. 8GB is more of a luxury then a requirement these days, but this is shifting with games like Battlefield 3 - since RAM is not all that expensive, you might as well purchase the good stuff now.

Graphics Card:
    The Sapphire/ATI 6870 - 150 euros

The 6870 is a very decent mid range card - It can run Battlefield 3 in MP, on High, with 45 FPS, at a resolution of 1920*1200, which is very decent. I use the Sapphire brand as they are known to provide good quality graphic cards.

Hard Disk:
    A SeaGate 1TB hard Disk running at 7200 RPM. - 85 euros

Seagates are known for their reliability, which is something you want when buying a hard disk. Unfortunately, a lot of hard disk manufacturers have factories in Thailand. You may not know this, but recently half the country was flooded, which destroyed a lot of production facilities, and hard disk drive prices have gone trough the roof as a result (a year ago, this hard disk would cost 50 euros!). If you happen to have an old hard disk, I suggest that you format that one instead, and use the 85 euros you save on a i5 2320 instead.

Case: Sharkoon Vaya 25 euros

This is one of the cheapest cases I could find - cases are something of a personal preference, and you can actually save money by refurbishing an old case - for example, the one you are using now!

Power Supply: Chieftec 550S 70 euros

550 watts and 2 "Auxiliary pins" should be able to run the above confgiruation and your 6870 with ease. You even have room to upgrade with this thing. If you already have a power supply, I suggest that you use that one instead (unless it is rather old, a fried PSu can actually kill other components). You can use This tool to see if your PC can handle it, but with the components I have selected, I think you should be fine with a 500+ watts PSU.

Sound Card:
    Asus Xonar DS 40 euros

Sound cards are oft overlooked components IMO - An On-Board sound card is not everything, so I reccomend getting a seperate one, but this is a personal preference. A lot of people do without, and you can skip this component and buy either a faster graphics card or processor - However, I personally find it hard to live without a discrete sound card ever since I first got one.

DVD: An LG DVD burner - 15 euros
    In my opinion - dvd readers are dvd readers, and therefore, the cheapest will do.

Total cost: 615 euros.

This is the problem with bnot exactly specifying what you already have and what you want: I assumed, for the purposes of this exercise, that you want an entirely new PC, whilst you can save a lot of money by reusing components you already have on hand, such as the DVD burner, the case, and the power supply. However, the guides I linked to and this guide should be enough to get you started, I hope.

For example, getting rid of the case, sound card, power supply, and hard disk, and instead refurbishing older components in your computer, nets you 235 euros to spend on different parts. I recommend then that you get the I5 2320 at 170 euros (The 2500k is better, but your motherboard might not be such a good overclocker, and the 2500ks advantage lies therein). For a graphics card, I recommend that you use your extra 180 euros you can then spend on the 7850 at 230 euros which is both faster then the 6870 offered above, yet requires LESS power. You can use the extra 100 euros on, say, better memory (HyperX memory instread of DDR3), a better motherboard, or even the 7870.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 21-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Would there be big difference if i would change i3 with i5 processor ?

Network Hub
    Well the main difference is the i5s come with a higher stock clock speed and the Turbo Boost tech, which essentially ups the clock rate and thus your core speed. I would also expect i5 have much better performance per core, try looking on Toms Hardware for some performance results. And i3 are only dual-core not quad-core, though they have hyper-threading which helps, but is unimportant for games.

i do recommend four cores over two even if most games won't use four cores.
    yet you will see benefits in everyday use.

and don't get a sound card. for gaming, and normal use it is not needed. if you do audio editing then you need one.

Nice,thanks for info. I think i'll go with the nearly exact setup as Grizzly wrote,only difference will be i5 instead of i3.

Cheers.

Well, thank you :). And yes, in light of what others have said - Drop the sound card in my config, and get an i5 instead. A sound card is a neat little bonus, but it is not absolutely neccesary.

Although the system detailed above is my ideal configuration, you can also take a look at This configuration for example, which balances the budget a bit differently - esentially forgoing the I5 for an I3 and picking up a beefier graphics card instead.

Good luck, have fun!
    Last edited by Grizzly; 21-06-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Do you have Steam grizzly,you deserve to be my steam friend now! haha,just jk :p

Can't wait to build the game and play freaking Gothic 3,i dreamed about it sibnce last year when i completed Gothic 2:Gold :3

If you can't run Gothic 3 with the systems proposed here, then you probably have done something wrong (Or gothic 3 has) :P.

Oh: One little caveat I forgot (OOPS!): Make sure you have a cooling solution for your processor.
    SERIOUSLY. I did make the last system in the assumption that the i5 came with a boxed cooler. If it does not, PLEASE buy a processor cooler, or your 600 euros will only last for 2 hours.

And - OH, if you do intend to buy a sound card (again, maybe it might be better to spend that money on the i5) make sure you buy the DG instead of the DS - a mistake on my part. The DG is apperently a lot better.

Oh my,at work we have those giant old keyboards and its hard to type with them lol,i meant can't wait to build the rig and then play Gothic 3!

a new rig and he plays gothic 3.

there should be a law against that!
    :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I did make the last system in the assumption that the i5 came with a boxed cooler. If it does not, PLEASE buy a processor cooler, or your 600 euros will only last for 2 hours.
    After looking on several shop pages I don't see any indication why the boxed version shouldn't come with a boxed cooler. You sure you didn't buy the tray version by accident?
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 26-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I'm sceptical a CPU would last two hours without a cooler.

Good thread this. Answers a question I was asked yesterday pretty much perfectly, right down to the budget.