Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Cinders is out, pretty

http://moacube.com/games/cinders/

It's a visual novel, and is a take on fairy-tales. What's pretty much unique about it in terms of VNs is that is it doesn't use anime-style art, and looks gorgeous:

5712134655_8ed857c8b4.jpg

Relatively pricey at $22 though, may have to wait for a review from outside the VN community, but sure looks interesting.

There's a demo available for download, did you try it?

edit: downloading it right now.
    Last edited by alms; 20-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Woot! I was lookin' forward to this. Thanks for the notificationz. With so many friends' weddings lately I might not be buying it in the immediate future, but still, quite interested.

I still need to buy their Magi game, as the demo of it was thoroughly awesome.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    There's a demo available for download, did you try it?

edit: downloading it right now.
    Not yet, that would indeed be the sensible thing to do

Just finished playing it a couple times. Looking forward to getting it later, at a lower price point.

Now it's Resonance's turn.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

I absolutely loved the demo. I ain't willing to pay 23$ for it, though. I'll buy it when it gets cheaper, too. ^^

That's not to say Cinders' style is not cute, I hope :P they should fix that overanimated lights though, they look like there's an earthquake

Obscure Node
    A short WIT:

I enjoyed the game immensely. It has gorgeous characters and backgrounds, and some of the audio reminded me of Space Chem (which is only a good thing). It's a choose-your-own adventure, but it still delightfully non-linear, and throws you some surprisingly hard choices.

The characters (and especially Cinders) has wonderfully witty and refreshing dialogue. MoaCube wanted to make an interactive Cinderella without all the tripe and two-dimensional characters, and I think they more than succeeded.

What really makes Cinders worth the 23$ though, is its replayability. There's probably a dozen plot branches and twice as many endings. And the devil's in the details; most of the characters have extra lines to acknowledge each of your choices, and that makes them all matter.

The only thing I didn't enjoy as much were the endings (though I've only seen three of them), but I'm not sure if that's just because they weren't "happily ever after"-endings, because they took away my autonomy, or if there was really something missing from them. I also felt like there should have been a fourth choice at the end, but that's rather a bit of a luxury problem.

Also, fairies can fuck right off. Seriously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The pricepoint of these visual novels is a bit of a shocker, but I may be just spoiled by Steam- and other Indie-sales.

For 15$, I wouldn't have even hesitated to reach for my credit card when reaching the end of the demo. 22$ though... mmhm. I need to think about it.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Bumping this old thread because it's currently 50% off from the devs, 11.5 dollars or Euros.

http://moacube.com/games/cinders/