Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    SimCity 4 + Syndicate Wars.

Dungeon Keeper 2 + Dwarf Fortress.

You know you wanna.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    SimCity 4 + Syndicate Wars.
    You are a wealthy developer in a future metropolis. You're creating an empire, crafting lush residential complexes for the rich citizens of the city. The more enticing you make your settlements, the more tenants you'll get and the more money you make.

However, Rival developers will use any underhand tactics they can to try and make your zones less desirable to live in, up to and including bombs, hit squads and chemical & biological attacks. All the time, you're playing two games: Building up the bustling, bright utopia which attracts more tenants, and managing the dirty business of security and counter-insurgency, heading off terror attacks and keeping your rivals at bay. Will you take the moral highground and only defend your city? Or will you attack your rivals tenants the same way they attack you?

Machinarium + Crusader: No Remorse

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Playing the combat sections of Alan Wake was a trial enough as it is. ohohohoho
    Haven't played it myself. Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    You are a wealthy developer in a future metropolis. You're creating an empire, crafting lush residential complexes for the rich citizens of the city. The more enticing you make your settlements, the more tenants you'll get and the more money you make.

However, Rival developers will use any underhand tactics they can to try and make your zones less desirable to live in, up to and including bombs, hit squads and chemical & biological attacks. All the time, you're playing two games: Building up the bustling, bright utopia which attracts more tenants, and managing the dirty business of security and counter-insurgency, heading off terror attacks and keeping your rivals at bay. Will you take the moral highground and only defend your city? Or will you attack your rivals tenants the same way they attack you?
    Hardly. There is no moral stance. Having eclipsed the local government's power in determining the future of the city, you consolidate your power atop the backs of the masses for your investor class. Keep control - police? we own the police! - amidst popular unrest and terrorism - to say nothing of rival corporations - while maximizing profits for the privileged few.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I can never tell if Nalano's taking the piss or spoiling for a fight. (Either way I guess he'd describe that as "mission accomplished".)
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 22-06-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I can never tell if Nalano's taking the piss or spoiling for a fight. (Either way I guess he'd describe that as "mission accomplished".)
    Saints Row 3 (sensing a pattern here?) + Dawn of War 2's Noise Marines.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Haven't played it myself. Bad?
    It's a third-person shooter. RE5's probably the closest.

Obscure Node
    I loved Alan Wake as much as I loved Max Payne, so I'd hardly call it bad, seeing as Max Payne's one of my favorite games.

Tropico 4 + Master of Orion

You play the Emperor-dictator of a small planet in a distant solar system. The rest of the galaxy is breathing down your neck for various reasons and it is your job to make sure you can keep living your happy little planet-ruling life while also living amongst a greater galactic union who do not necessarily see eye to eye on your undemocratic rule. Or you could just go to war with them if you want to. The game combines both macro and micro-level management - the scale goes from intergalactic diplomacy and possible off world colonisation to deciding infrastructural details of your own home planet, building your greatest cities by hand, making sure your citizens are satisfied/unwilling to rebel and that any visitors to the planet leave happy.

Duke Nukem 3D + Planescape: Torment
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Saints Row 3 (sensing a pattern here?) + Dawn of War 2's Noise Marines.
    Nope. Your turn now. You've suggested a bunch of combos, now it's time for some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I can never tell if Nalano's taking the piss or spoiling for a fight
    The latter I think. According to his sig he's a lawyer which means he argues for a living (he may argue with that) so maybe he's just not getting enough of it at work. We all love to argue - it's half the reason we're here in the first place. Nalano just doesn't pretend.

It'll be interesting to see whether he:

1. Describes a mashup idea
    2. Argues with something I just said

Hopefully both =)

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    You play the Emperor-dictator of a small planet in a distant solar system. The rest of the galaxy is breathing down your neck for various reasons and it is your job to make sure you can keep living your happy little planet-ruling life while also living amongst a greater galactic union who do not necessarily see eye to eye on your undemocratic rule. Or you could just go to war with them if you want to. The game combines both macro and micro-level management - the scale goes from intergalactic diplomacy and possible off world colonisation to deciding infrastructural details of your own home planet, building your greatest cities by hand, making sure your citizens are satisfied/unwilling to rebel and that any visitors to the planet leave happy.
    That sounds like something I'd genuinely be interested in playing. I love the idea of rebuilding cities by hand while simultaneously fighting a war with another planet

Isometric RPG where you play a washed up action hero who goes on a quest of self discovery. Having saved the world several times, Hank Spankem is now a miserable alcoholic has been. He lives in a trailer on the edge of Vegas and can't even shoot a tin can off a fence from three yards away. One night, an invading alien force arrives without warning and begins to ransack the earth. Still drunk, Hank can barely find his way out of his trailer let alone take on the alien menace. He ends up getting captured and brought onboard the alien mothership. In a desperate attempt to flee, he accidentally jumps through an experimental time portal and emerges 33 years in the future, on a changed earth where humans and aliens live together in a fragile peace and 'Hank Spankem' is remembered as a war criminal who went into hiding when the aliens arrived. But there's something dark lurking underneath this society, and hank vows to find out what it is. Will he avoid capture by the police long enough to expose the true evil of the aliens? Or will he discover that he's just a violent racist? Will he get back to the past? Or will he die alone in the future?

Portal + Rainbow Six

You are a muscular, blonde, sunglasses-wearing man who lost his memory, and who seems to be incapable of dying. He remembers nothing about his past, and the only clue he has is a strange compulsion to quote the Evil Dead movies. When not equipped with any weapon, he uses kicks to attack. Using the kick attack and the kick hotkey together allows him to attack with both legs at the same time.

Master of Orion + Freespace.

Edit: Oops, too late.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAxis View Post
    You are a muscular, blonde, sunglasses-wearing man who lost his memory, and who seems to be incapable of dying. He remembers nothing about his past, and the only clue he has is a strange compulsion to quote the Evil Dead movies. When not equipped with any weapon, he uses kicks to attack. Using the kick attack and the kick hotkey together allows him to attack with both legs at the same time.
    Snap! Although I don't see where Planescape comes into it - wocka wocka

Well, as I remember the planescape hero is undead and has amnesia, so I took those elements from there. I have to admit that's about all I know about the storyline. I didn't play it long; I think I'm the only person on the planet who dislikes that game.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAxis View Post
    Well, as I remember the planescape hero is undead and has amnesia, so I took those elements from there. I have to admit that's about all I know about the storyline. I didn't play it long; I think I'm the only person on the planet who dislikes that game.
    I've never played it. I was just trying to be funny. Duke is pretty much immortal and there's never any talk about where he comes from, so he might aswell have amnesia. Either way, it'd be an interesting take on a familiar character

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Isometric RPG where you play a washed up action hero who goes on a quest of self discovery. Having saved the world several times, Hank Spankem is now a miserable alcoholic has been. He lives in a trailer on the edge of Vegas and can't even shoot a tin can off a fence from three yards away. One night, an invading alien force arrives without warning and begins to ransack the earth. Still drunk, Hank can barely find his way out of his trailer let alone take on the alien menace. He ends up getting captured and brought onboard the alien mothership. In a desperate attempt to flee, he accidentally jumps through an experimental time portal and emerges 33 years in the future, on a changed earth where humans and aliens live together in a fragile peace and 'Hank Spankem' is remembered as a war criminal who went into hiding when the aliens arrived. But there's something dark lurking underneath this society, and hank vows to find out what it is. Will he avoid capture by the police long enough to expose the true evil of the aliens? Or will he discover that he's just a violent racist? Will he get back to the past? Or will he die alone in the future?

Portal + Rainbow Six
    When an alien invasion occurs sometime in the future, a private military company is contracted by Aperture Science Labs to enter one of the alien capital ships in order to capture live alien specimens and deliver them to Aperture Labs for SCIENCE. In order to do this they are given access to the Portal devices. The game would be multi-player only, and you and your team have to work cooperatively to transport any alien specimens you encounter through the labyrinthine interior of the spaceship; Basically you would start out in an alien chamber, make your way through the level, make contact with an alien, and then you would work in tandem to keep the alien flying through portals, until he reaches the Ghost Busters like alien capturing device you set up at the start of the level. It would be a lot like the Portal 2 coop, except the cubes can move and have a will of their own, and can kill you.

STALKER + Mount & Blade: Warband
    Last edited by agentorange; 22-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    When an alien invasion occurs sometime in the future, a private military company is contracted by Aperture Science Labs to enter one of the alien capital ships in order to capture live alien specimens and deliver them to Aperture Labs for SCIENCE. In order to do this they are given access to the Portal devices. The game would be multi-player only, and you and your team have to work cooperatively to transport any alien specimens you encounter through the labyrinthine interior of the spaceship; Basically you would start out in an alien chamber, make your way through the level, make contact with an alien, and then you would work in tandem to keep the alien flying through portals, until he reaches the Ghost Busters like alien capturing device you set up at the start of the level. It would be a lot like the Portal 2 coop, except the cubes can move and have a will of their own, and can kill you.
    That sounds like a lot of fun. Imagine how much fun it would be to just set up a string of portals one after the other and send something through

There's been more creativity in this thread than in games industry in the past 12 years.

Then again, creativity doesn't sell.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    There's been more creativity in this thread than in games industry in the past 12 years.

Then again, creativity doesn't sell.
    Lets keep it up anyway. It's fun, and that's what matters.