Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Are you talking about the Enhanced Edition (either the mega-big box or the slimmer version), or the original release? AFAIK the EE shouldn't have DRM, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah EE should be version 1.5. Which is free and doesn't have DRM.. It just that if you happen to get a older version of the disc it might earlier version with Tages (that can be patched out)..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    dare to explain yourself?
    No - I am a poet, not a warrior

I started playing The Witcher recently, and find it to be quite an enjoyable and refreshing take on the RPG genre. It's certainly a very unique game with some superficial annoyances but those are easy to look past. The the only major criticism I have so far is the rather dull opening... the game didn't really grab me until the end of chapter 1, which took me around 6 hours to get to.

But it gets really good really fast after that.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Don't forget the texture mod in case you want things to look sharper.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-witcher-texturen-mod

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Also, The Perfect Blood Mod, The Perfect Rain Mod, and the Black Edition do make the game a lot more visually pleasing.

Personally, I found the texture mod to introduce graphical bugs for some reason, but your mileage might vary.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 22-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    I started playing The Witcher recently, and find it to be quite an enjoyable and refreshing take on the RPG genre. It's certainly a very unique game with some superficial annoyances but those are easy to look past. The the only major criticism I have so far is the rather dull opening... the game didn't really grab me until the end of chapter 1, which took me around 6 hours to get to.

Yea its not the fastest starter but to be fair thats common amongst RPGs, its hardly the worst offender and I think the perhaps somewhat overlong intro section does a decent job of explaining what Witchers do and are, theres quite a lot of lore you've got to absorb.

Number two is impressive in many ways, but I enjoyed the first one more. They are both games I'd rather watch than play though.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    Yea its not the fastest starter but to be fair thats common amongst RPGs, its hardly the worst offender and I think the perhaps somewhat overlong intro section does a decent job of explaining what Witchers do and are, theres quite a lot of lore you've got to absorb.
    I agree! It's the beginning of chapter 1 where things get confusing - it always seems to me like you've missed out part of the game.

but god damn did i love that game. It just got increasingly better the further in I got.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Shani > Triss
    One of my biggest regrets about the Witcher 2 is that this is never addressed.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post

This, this, this.
    I almost stopped playing the game because I'm not really a fan of RPGs but something chapters 2, 3 and 4 really kept me glued to my seat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vague-rant View Post
    it was addressed with EE version. I won't spoil but go to wiki about shani and there is a

a quote from journal. that's all. a fucking journal entry about shani a girl which i found to be better than Triss. CDPR! I'm mad, is what I am

Slight minor spoilers!
    There is a small text in the journal if you import a Shani save into the second. Basically: "It didn't work"

Amazingly, they're still patching the Witcher 2, and even hired a mod-maker to make the official UI patch 3.2

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/257

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Amazingly, they're still patching the Witcher 2, and even hired a mod-maker to make the official UI patch 3.2

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/257
    Due to how it works, it's more like an semi-official mod/DLC than a patch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Witcher canon, but in the two books I've read, she only appeared as basically a one night stand. For all I know she could feature more prominently in any of the other books that have not seen an English translation yet.

Minor Witcher 1 spolier:

On my first trip through the game, I gave Alvin to Shani, because I thought Triss was actually going to turn out to be a bad guy in some hidden twist somewhere down the line. I didn't trust her after overhearing her conversation with the woman in the mirror at the start of chapter 3 or 4. But then once I really got into the universe and read the books, Triss seemed like the more natural choice over Shani, so I now side with her on any other trips through the game.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    I think I need to give Witcher 1 another try because I couldn't stick with it after 2 or 3 false starts. It got rave reviews and I tried to like it but was really turned off by the clickity click combat and the alchemy crafting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    I think I need to give Witcher 1 another try because I couldn't stick with it after 2 or 3 false starts. It got rave reviews and I tried to like it but was really turned off by the clickity click combat and the alchemy crafting.
    Easy difficulty. Potions aren't needed on it, but I recommend you learn to use them regardless. As for the combat, it takes a short while to get into it and you will fluff it up numerous times, but it's not bad. Unique, anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Witcher canon, but in the two books I've read, she only appeared as basically a one night stand. For all I know she could feature more prominently in any of the other books that have not seen an English translation yet.

Minor Witcher 1 spolier:

On my first trip through the game, I gave Alvin to Shani, because I thought Triss was actually going to turn out to be a bad guy in some hidden twist somewhere down the line. I didn't trust her after overhearing her conversation with the woman in the mirror at the start of chapter 3 or 4. But then once I really got into the universe and read the books, Triss seemed like the more natural choice over Shani, so I now side with her on any other trips through the game.
    After reading the books I started to dislike Triss. Yennefer is my waifu.

Sorry to bring up this ancient thread, I have a question that is very much related but not quite answered.

I've heard The Witcher praised everywhere, and thought I'd give the first episode a shot (2 shots, actually, a few months apart from each other). In my second attempt, I played for about 20 hours, I got halfway through Chapter 2 and I was just so... bored.

I found the combat fiddly and generally uninteresting: the movement was weird, and it didn't seem to matter too much, if the game thought you got hit, you could have been miles away and still get hit, so it was just: "Drink potion, use magic until endurance runs out, left click, right click again when endurance is restored. I played on hard, and when I fought the Golem in the swamps, I wished I had a script to left-click and right-click on time, because that's pretty much what I did after drinking the initial pots. Just one hand. Clicking. For a good 5 minutes.

The world is huge and dense, but I didn't find it very interesting. And the plot just moves so slowly. 20 hours, and I'm not even halfway through the game? Also, the plot just didn't catch me. It wasn't "bad", but I didn't find it remarkable either. And I was put off by what I can only call the "masculine" feel of it all. Not trying to start an argument about sexism, but I definitely felt it was made from a heavily "male" perspective, if that makes sense. (And the way girls just can't wait to reward Geralt with sex was a bit ridiculous and off-putting at times, too)

I gave up after I spent 1h30m running around Vizima, going from house to house talking to people because of quests and waiting/sleeping/looking around for people without a fixed location.

So, I guess two questions:
    1) Does it get better / does it become different? Should I stick with it? Or is it more of the same stuff I didn't like?
    2) Regardless of 1, what is the chance I may like The Witcher 2? How different is it?

For context, I love indie games and story-driven games, I don't like sandboxes and grinding. I love most Final Fantasies, I thought Mass Effect 2 was ok (even though I often find Bioware narratives and choices ultimately unsatisfying, despite occasionally good moments), I liked parts of Fallout 3 (but I wish it was more dense, and for every mission/part I enjoyed there were 2-3 I found dull) and parts of Dragon Age: Origins (But again, for every hour of content I found engaging there were 2-3 I found uninteresting) and I dislike Skyrim.

I really want to love a Western RPG the way I loved JRPGs, but JRPGs feel more personal and get me to care about characters and plot and their world in a way that Western RPGs just haven't, so far. (Planning to play some old-school RPGs, both old and new, like Planetscape, Torment:ToN, Wasteland 2, etc, but I would like to know about the Witcher, since it's so highly praised)
    Last edited by MelodyMeows; 11-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It doesn't really change much. You either like it or you don't.

The second game has much better combat mechanics and nothing as grindy as the swamp. In most other respects it's broadly similar in atmosphere and approach. I guess the plot is faster paced than the first game, but it still feels slow.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.