Network Hub

Is the Free-To-Play model the cure for piracy and DRM?

Crytek recently announced that they only plan to release games with the free-to-play model henceforth. Studios designing MMOs always implement a free-to-play strategy even if they plan to start off subscription-based. LOTRO and other early pioneers have proven that free-to-play is a successful model that drastically lowers the barrier to entry and is more fulfilling and convincing than a demo.

What do you guys think? Would you be open to paying for single player games that adopt this model? Would you rather pay $5 every hour until you own every level of a single player game, or would you prefer to pay the full $60 upfront and run the risk of not playing past the first level?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Free to play only really suits certain game styles though which is a bit of an issue.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    It is like trying to get rid of herpes by contracting AIDS. Piracy was hurting the industry and budgets, F2P hurts the games, the players and ultimately the industry. They are investing a lot of money on a short-ride pony and it will die sooner or later. Then comes games-as-service but don't make me go there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Assuming piracy is a problem that needs solving in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Would you rather pay $5 every hour until you own every level of a single player game, or would you prefer to pay the full $60 upfront and run the risk of not playing past the first level?
    Why can't you have both with a discount for buying the whole thing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I've always said F2P is a problem because you really don't have the budget to make a truly great game to be honest since your only going to get so much from people. I would rather have games that cost less and are made for less then F2P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Here's the first thing: why they dont release Crysis 3 as a F2P title?

There doesn't seem any studio can fund an AAA grade title by F2P model. I bet most gamers who play a F2P title won't spend a dime on it. I for one haven't, since there is no pressure to pay to win and I can play when I want. Motivation to pay is never that strong enough.

BTW should this thread be in PC gaming broad?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    There is good money in F2P, often even more than retail, that is why they are shifting. Also, F2P allows for constant long-term income, aside from the initial bang. Piracy is a non-issue and you control discounts and economy. And it is a less risky bet if the game flops.
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.