Activated Node

A place to submit our own reviews?

Does anyone think it a good idea to have a section where we could post our own reviews? I know we discuss different games and all, but wouldn't it be great if we could analyse games more thoroughly, say what's good and bad about them, and say whether the game is worth getting?

Maybe first post of a thread could be the review of a game, and later posts about agreeing/disagreeing, or other people's reviews.

Wot u think?

I get where you're coming from, but honestly there's nothing stopping you from doing exactly that on the main forum

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If someone was willing to put some serious effort into organizing and indexing such a thread, it could work. But then there's the issue of quality control.

I was more thinking you could do it per review maybe with a consistent heading e.g Review: 'Game Name' as I think a single thread would quickly become confused.

Then if it was decided that it was cluttering up the main forum I'm sure the guys would consider making a sub forum

But until there's a proven interest I personally would recommend against a sub forum - I get frustrated with sites that set up like 20 sub forums and then manage 2 posts a day in each.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    But until there's a proven interest I personally would recommend against a sub forum - I get frustrated with sites that set up like 20 sub forums and then manage 2 posts a day in each.
    What's new button is your friend.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    The Writer's Hive bit on the old forum was a good (if slightly chaotic) way of doing things, not just for reviews but features and lengthy word-thinks from the forumgoers. I don't think you need to worry about quality control as it's essentially a detailed forum post.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    The Writer's Hive bit on the old forum was a good (if slightly chaotic) way of doing things, not just for reviews but features and lengthy word-thinks from the forumgoers. I don't think you need to worry about quality control as it's essentially a detailed forum post.
    That place was generally toxic. I mean more than usual.

Post your reviews on Amazon or similar retailer of choice. They can help make a difference there. For download only games the place for your review would be the dev's forum or Steam if it's available there. Basically you want to be getting your opinion out to where it matters. Only a fraction of the RPS readership actually visits the forum. The wordy, opinionated fraction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    That place was generally toxic. I mean more than usual.

Post your reviews on Amazon or similar retailer of choice. They can help make a difference there. For download only games the place for your review would be the dev's forum or Steam if it's available there. Basically you want to be getting your opinion out to where it matters. Only a fraction of the RPS readership actually visits the forum. The wordy, opinionated fraction.
    You are wrong, and because I disagree with you I now hate you as a person because that's what normal rational people do!

I found the feedback from Writer's Hive to be perfectly pleasant, that's either A. because I'm awesome, B. I don't bait the Flamers with controversial opinions formulated specifically to annoy people, or C. because no-one read any of it.
    Last edited by Jockie; 26-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I like steam reviews just because they are short enough to read quickly, but incredibly difficult and fun to write (just because they are so short it can be a challenge saying something worthwhile in such a small space, without coming off like a tedious product description). I've written a bunch, but then realized that I only have like 40 or so friends on steam who will ever read them, which is a bit sad. So I wouldn't mind a steam rec thread where people post their short steam recs of games.

Longer reviews get a bit.....long, though. I actually prefer the stringent character limits of steam reviews. It forces you to get to the main idea and be done with it, which I think is a better fit for reading random reviews from people you don't know (i.e. very few people will bother sifting through longer reviews, so I think the limitations of steam reviews are a bit more realistic and user friendly).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I propose that all user-made game reviews must be in haiku form.

Saint's Row, The Third

Launching hos sky high
    with gleeful psychopaths and
    Burt fucking Reynolds
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm with Jockie, I liked the Writer's Hive.

From random poetry to more lengthy stuff it was for the most part an interesting place. Plus I enjoyed the odd sweary MS paint illustrated rant opportunities it afforded.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm quite happy with writing long-form stuff on my own blog and linking it here if necessary. Generally, though, if I want people to discuss something, I'll just start the discussion without putting too much of my own thoughts into it initially.

sounds like a cool idea.
    i would love to submit a review.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but honestly there's nothing stopping you from doing exactly that on the main forum
    I agree with you