View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 223 of 415 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,460 of 8290
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by aerisdead View Post
    I don't know if this maybe isn't ok, but I'm already considering re-rolling my Chaos team for next season because I didn't realize you could name/change the visuals of your player at the moment you buy them and I'd like my team to be a bit more personal!
    Well, sounds a bit silly to me. You can, of course wait until your old players get killed or too seriously wounded, and then replace them with cool chaos cats. Also, the players do change appearance as they gain more levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingstalker View Post
    Yet another game where I didn't earn a single SSP. Pheonix graciously let me skip the last few turns of the match, because I thought it would be unfair to ragequit.
    One less I have still yet to learn (even in my 14th season on the Divs) is that you should start all matches expecting to fluff every important roll, push every easy block and fall over and die on every GFI.

Stick with it, the highs are worth the frustrations - that time your treeman makes an interception, or you dodge into 3 TZs, pickup the ball and pass it out for a TD.

Of course feel free to reroll to try and find a better match for your playstyle, but the lows (and highs) will still find you even with a new team. Currently I'm starting to feel like a team gypsy, never settling on a team and rerolling every 2-4 seasons. :D
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Yet another game where I didn't earn a single SSP. Pheonix graciously let me skip the last few turns of the match, because I thought it would be unfair to ragequit.
    I think I'm going to re-roll at the end of this season as Undead or Chaos..
    To play devil's advocate, I don't think switching to Chaos will help you much there. They are just about the slowest team to train up because bashing is the least reliable method to acquire SPPs. I find that SPP-less games are just as likely to happen with them in their early life as with High Elves.

If you want a bit more utility in a bashy side, may I suggest Orcs? They are a little slower than Chaos but they have more skills out of the box and can pass the ball at least. They'll bash the hell out of any starter Chaos side too, and have no shortage of Strength skill players.

Or if you want a team almost as versatile as elves but without the crippingly expensive players, I'd look towards Skaven. They don't have elvish AG but they are extremely resourceful. You will get clobbered sometimes, but your replacements are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    *wink*

Yeah, they're similar to Necromantic in that regard. They're the bashy end of the middle of the spectrum. Bashy is Dorfs, Khemri, Chaos Dorfs, and maybe orcs at the utility end of the bashy spectrum.

We need a graph for this.
    Orcs I'd definitely count in to the bashy teams. Another way to categorise the teams is by the way they play the ball. You can play a running game (you could call this also a short passing game), a passing game (long), a cage-ing game and then maybe a loose screening game. Obviously some teams can run more than one of these styles (Orcs for example), but it is easy to apply a default style to each team.
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    People discount norse because the low AV means your players will never grow old. But near universal block is hard to complain about, you might need to replace casualties but if your TV stays low you'd have regular access to inducements.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Yes, Norse are a kind of "live by the sword, die by the sword" team. The early block is nice (especially in tournaments) and it means that they effectively get their second skill much sooner than the players of other teams. They way I see it is that you have to pick your fights with the Norse, damage the other team as soon as possible with your block/frenzy advantage and try to get as many opposing players off the field as fast as you can.

And don't make too many go-for-its and dodges.

Network Hub
    Live by the sword, die by going for it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Laneford Murder Death Kill Men 2 - 1 Alistair's clown shoe fitted Humans

I had Morg. He managed to play all of 1 turn. KO'd in the first half, killed in the second. Game wasn't close although I nearly pulled off a rage inducing elf-ball play and did score a 1 turner to finish the match.

Skaven come under the"run away from the sword" bracket

Division D - Aggressive Negotiation vs Bishi Bashi Speshal

I went into this match with some trepidation. Previous matches versus lizard teams have resulted in defeats (thanks to the pesky skinks) and a fair number of injuries (from the sauri and kroxigor). However this time I had prepared, with 2 tackling blitzers!

I won the toss, and decided to defend. The game started in predictable fashion, with a rapid skink play leading to the first TD for Aggressive Negotiation, my only consolation being inflicting a damaged back on one of Karandraz' star sauri. 1-0 to Karandraz.

Plenty of time left on the clock, with me receiving the kick. The orcs built a strong cage, drove up the pitch, and equalized with only enough time left for a bit of punching and shoving. 1-1.

Again the orcs received the kick, and again they played to their strengths - a super strong cage. Despite an initial stall at the line of scrimmage, the lizard's defence was soon broken, and only a couple of skinks were left to stop the ball carrier - a blocking, tackling blitzer. End results 2-1 in BBS' favour.

2 turns were left to the match, and Karandraz setup for a lightning fast skink play. His intentions obvious, I setup as best I could to deny him this, with the few orcs I hadn't already committed. The first skink moved to the orcs endzone, the ball carrier made his dodge, and then made the hand-off. An equalizing TD was in sight, but the 2nd skink in the chain fluffed his dodge, and it was all over.

Final Score - 2-1 to Bishi Bashi Speshal.

Thanks to Karandraz for the game. Some poor luck, especially with his Kroxigor. One amusement was my new goblin player (Pot Noodle - wonder where he might end up!) refusing to leave the pitch the entire match. Appropriately he ended up as my MVP, going to be an expensive snack I reckon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I just feel bad for the Skaven, when they face Karandraz I can't help but visualize road kill rodents.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Orcs I'd definitely count in to the bashy teams. Another way to categorise the teams is by the way they play the ball. You can play a running game (you could call this also a short passing game), a passing game (long), a cage-ing game and then maybe a loose screening game. Obviously some teams can run more than one of these styles (Orcs for example), but it is easy to apply a default style to each team.
    I was sort of thinking that Orcs can actually play a passing game if they like. The thrower has lovely starting skills and if you get a few blitzers in range of the endzone, you can definitely do some elfball. I see a typical orc TD as caging up, moving forward until you've got a pass+score on and then doing that. Now, with Khemri, you are punching things. You will always be punching things. If you are not punching things, you are playing Khemri wrong. They will have to walk in every TD, pretty much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Orc throwers get Sure Hands, you might as well call them "Orc slightly-better-at-picking-up-the-ball-mans" because they are bad at throwing. Access to passing skills gets you leader, which is useful. You can actually build a throwing orc thrower if you like, especially if you get a double for Strong Arm or if you get +agility. Otherwise I wouldn't bother - none of your players has catching skills, so even if you get half decent at throwing the catch is going to be chancy at best.
    Keep the throw as an option, to force your opponent to guard possible receivers, then enjoy being one of the faster 'cage and run' teams.

The access to passing skills on the throwers also makes Orcs much faster in setting up a cage or screen closer to the LoS.

Both teams orc teams I run use throwers extensively. When things go smoothly I run the ball in. Great. But often things don't go smooth and over 2/3s of my games have been won by passes. Due to the lack of movement you need every inch of flexibility you can get. Needing catch is not much of an issue - one has to be mindful of keeping re-rolls. Otherwise a 3+ is not terrible. Worst case the ball is dropped but it's rarely going to be a worse place to drop it if you ve had to resort to a pass. Usually it's when things have gone pear-shaped and your cage has been mashed (I actually run two throwers with one inside the cage and one in the furthest corner from the opposition. In the event of a cage swamp, I hand off to second thrower and pass. In the event of ball carrying thrower getting stunned or such there's an extra sure-handser in distance) or when you get caught out on a bad receive through a blitz or missed pick up.

Once the thrower gets accurate and hopefully strong arm (which is essential) you can move the ball pretty far in a rather safe way (dont see why a 3+ on two dice are bad odds! humans pass on the same odds). but a critical skill is kick off return. A crucial part of the orc game is pressing the opposition to score when receiving as soon as possible. The opposition is going to try and delay. On most occasions you re going to end up with 4 or so turns. With 3 or 4 turns (not to mention 2 turn TDs which I have done several times without throwing gobbos) left you need to get to the ball and move it up asap and KOR is indispensable.

Personally, when I come against an orc team without a developed thrower - or without using a thrower carrying the ball, I breathe a sigh of relief and have yet to lose to such an orc team (when I m running orcs myself) - (there just cursed myself). What's debatable is keeping a second thrower. I personally start with two hoping for stat ups (agility, move and str are all gold) or at least a double. Without one of these by the third skill max, they get sacked and replaced - with a thrower if I dont have another ag up player or at least a sure handser or a lino if I have one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    I was sort of thinking that Orcs can actually play a passing game if they like. The thrower has lovely starting skills and if you get a few blitzers in range of the endzone, you can definitely do some elfball. I see a typical orc TD as caging up, moving forward until you've got a pass+score on and then doing that. Now, with Khemri, you are punching things. You will always be punching things. If you are not punching things, you are playing Khemri wrong. They will have to walk in every TD, pretty much.
    I was just a bit confused by your post above and read it as if you wouldn't see Orcs as a bashy team. 4 ST4 Blockers, Troll, 4 Blitzers, ST access and armor value 9 on all of these 9 players looks like a hell lot of bash to me. :)

VV and I just played to a 1-1 draw in our champ match (his amazons vs my necros).

Things started well for me with any early injury on a disposable linewoman and a relatively straightforward score on turn 3. After that things slowly started getting worse, then more quickly started getting worse. The rest of the first half I was able to prevent the amazons from scoring, but suffered several KOs and injuries (1 not regenned).

Second half most of my KOs are still KO and the injuries and KOs keep coming in as the block die start to favour VV. I was able to get the ball loose a couple times, but lacked the manpower to keep it safe and the amazons scored on turn 15. No miracle occurred at the kickoff so the final was 1-1.

The block dice really decided the match. Despite lots of blodge & tackle on both sides VV managed to get a 57% kockdown rate to my 30%. Both of us broke armour quite often, but VV had a lot more kockdowns to convert and ended up with the numbers advantage.

GG VV. I hope you kill lots of Jiiiiiim's skinks :)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Hey. HEY. You leave those skinks alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    WhiskeyTangoFox's and my Amazons clashed in division 3 with the match ending in 1 - 2.

With only 90k inducements for WTF there wasn't much more to buy for him than a babe and the match began with me kicking. A blitz was rolled and I decided to get cocky and bash right through his lines, getting close to the ball. Yet he managed to pick up the ball with a 4+ and despite a prolonged brawl around the LOS one of his linos managed to break free and score in turn 8. Despite the my Blitz Nuffle was favoring him in the first half of the game with me hardly seeing a POW (while most of his tackles hit home) and getting my ST4 Blitzer injured in the second turn (MNG rerolled to BH).

Luck appeared to turn though in the second half when I managed to tie up most of his girls on the left side of the field, shifted center with my passing game thrower and passed to the catcher I had moved into scoring distance earlier. My following kick was yet again accompanied by a Blitz and I sent my ST4 Blitzer deep into his lines while tightening the defences around the center as it looked like the ball might scatter off field (which it died). Despite that i managed to wrangle the ball away from the center, touched the ball off to a waiting blitzer and took the lead in turn 14. The last turns saw a nice attempt by WTF to score in two turns but I managed to intercept the catcher and tried some elfball in my last turn (4+ pickup, dodge, 4+ pass with a thrower to a catcher in scoring distance) which failed at the first hurdle. The very last turn of the match saw a good amount of my girls going KO (i think 6 or 7) but altogether my girls yet again proved their sturdiness with only one apo'd injury received. On WTF's side there were no KOs but two injuries and one killed blitzer from a failed dodge that was apo'd to BH.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 21-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Xanthia Skinkslayer wants blood that's not Kroxigor or hers, for once.

So I decided to kick off first, and successfully forced potatoe's ghoul to score in turn 3. The loss of a linewoman in turn 1 was sad, because I care for my girls, but disposable.

Then I start fumbling things big time, and despite getting close several times, there's always a hole in my cages those nuffle-forsaken Werewolves got to use to stop me from scoring.

The second half sees a repeat of that - and furthermore, while I score a total of three casualties, two of them immediately regenerate. Running out of turns and people-advantage, I decide to play it safe for once and stall long enough for a rather boring and unsatisfying 1-1 in what was nevertheless a high-action game that, among other things, saw crowdsurfs for both of us and utterly outmatched Flesh Golems who just couldn't cope with my two Strength 4 Amazons.

Those Werewolves! Ugh. I am just glad I mostly survived - poor Zery got a -1 Strength though and will be replaced.

Thanks for the match!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.