View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 137 of 415 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 8290
    Just get rid of him. Even if you can't field a full team, having a loner for a match is better than having -ST. Far better to just reearn those 5 SPP and have a functional player for the long term instead.

That's what I'd have done at least, and I think most coaches would agree.

Sack him, gutter runners are far too important to the success of a skaven team to have a crippled one. They're your handlers and runners, you want them to be as hard to knock down as possible.

Network Hub
    I'd like to join in the next season, with Pro Elves (I haven't made the team yet so I don't know what the name will be). I'm BBDave522 on Steam - and in the game. I've added my details to the spreadsheet, anything else I need to do?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    On the matter of the linerat I'd say it depends on your funds. If you have your full team, plenty of rerolls etc. with loads of money to spare, sure replace him. Otherwise I'd say keep him. He's a linerat, his job is to pick up all manner of horrific injuries so your valuable players don't. Park him next to something big that can't dodge and leave him there, he'll deny it movement and blitzes.

My linerat philosophy for 6 seasons was that there is no such thing as a career-ending injury. Injured linerats just get sentenced to the line of scrimmage until such time as they actually get murdered.

Ritashi: Welcome to the party, looks like you're all fine on the spreadsheet. As for what to do now? Well not much really; just keep an eye on this thread, any information on the change in season will be posted here (and between seasons this thread tends to move pretty fast as we all fuss around getting things organised again). Assuming everything takes about as long as usual, we'll be looking to get the next season going for the beginning of February. If you're unsure in any way what to do around then, just ask here and someone can point you in the right direction.

Sirblood: I'm afraid Skaven as a race choice are currently full, we keep a current limit of 5 players per team to improve variety in the DoD. It's quite possible an existing Skaven player could drop out or change team, but assuming they don't we'll have to ask you to pick another race. Take a look on the Race Balance tab of the spreadsheet, most of the teams are still open for business. On a sidenote, you're a bit unlucky with timing, a couple of seasons ago we'd run practically dry on Skaven teams, they've just had a resurgence in popularity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    If you can afford to replace it I'd say you should. Yes, linerats are there to tie up the enemy and get killed, but sometimes you'll be left in a position where it may be helpful to block with him, and that's a lot harder to do with 2 ST.

Network Hub
    -ST and -AG are both career ending injuries on linerats for me - sure they're cannon fodder, but the key point of Skaven is that your cannon fodder is also versatile. You can easily score with a linerat if your opponent devotes too many resources focusing on Gutter Runners. And even if he doesn't, a linerat is a good enough player that he demands a marker. A linerat can dodge, a linerat can block, a linerat can pick up the ball, and at MV 7 a linerat can zip across the pitch remarkably quickly. And, for all that, he's still exceptionally cheap at 50,000. The incredibly cheap cost means that you can easily afford to field a large roster, and replace them quickly when the inevitable turnover occurs. I'd sack him. ST 2 is a liability, and it means that a ST 3 player won't need an assist to 2-die him.

Greetings Chaps :)

I've just picked up BB:LE in the steam xmas sales, and I'd be very interesting in joining the league.

However, I am totally noob, and would be more than happy to be a punching bag for as long as it takes for me to get a bit better :).

Is there room in the leagues for total noobishness, or will I get trashed constantly and not have any fun?

Also, I'm an Aussie, living in Perth but I am available to play games pretty much every evening AU time, and any time on the weekends.

Let me know if it's worth me jumping right in, or if I should play some other matches somehow first of all?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Linerats are cheap fodder and it might be better to have your 12th or 13th player as a -ST linerat rather than not have a 12th or 13th player. However if he's your 11th player sack him and get a free loner, and if you can afford a replacement sack him and get a replacement.

Oh, hello braindance, always nice to see a new player. There's room in the league for all levels of play, and you'll learn far more from playing against people than you ever would against the AI. The season's about halfway through so it will be a couple of weeks before you can join; I'd suggest playing a couple of games in a public league like Naggaroth first for practice and to make sure you don't get the dreaded port 16952 error.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 09-01-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The small Divisions work well to find people of your appropriate skill-level after two or three seasons. Or your luck-level, as is the case with me.

Additionally, as your team grows in TV, you will gain natural advantages over players who rose faster with a lower level TV, which... really, it all equals out. Welcome to the pit of slaughter.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Yeah, braindance, looks like we'll have a good number of new players next season, so you shouldn't be alone. I'd recommend playing a few single player games (if you haven't already) to get used to the UI and rules a bit, then a couple of online friendlies (you can always see if any of the other new guys want some practice) just to see how much harder playing real people is. If you really want to know more, the competition rule book contains the full rules, although might be a bit overwhelming at first (it took me a good year or so to grasp everything, and I still get it wrong every now and then - I've made 2 noob errors in my last 2 matches, clicking end turn by accident, and taking too long over handing the ball to a player on a touchback... so we're all students here :). After all that, you'll still make plenty of mistakes, but the lower divisions should still give you some entertaining games, even with a few mistakes :-)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Great to hear there will be noobs other than myself.

I think I'll get into some practice games over the next few days, and I'll jump into the steam group and see if I can tee up some games :)

I've read through the living rulebook a while ago, but I'm sure I've forgotten how it all works, might have another read :)

Network Hub
    Never forget that with some exception the general BB community (not just RPSers) can be actually really helpful. Read the Rulebook first, but then go check out some of the official forums, there's a lot of good posts and stickies (just ignore the interwoven "this game sucks" threads and posts) and if you post something asking for advice you'll get more of it than you can handle. A lot of the big names in the Blood Bowl community hang out there regularly, including several members (former members now, /cry) of the committee that wrote the rulebook. If you can't find a good practice game among some RPS folk there's a lot of coaches who are willing to give you a sort of training game, full of brilliant advice and a breakdown of exactly why that play didn't go like you were hoping it would. The most important single thing to remember when learning Blood Bowl is that luck plays a huge role, but the skill in this game comes from ensuring that a string of bad luck won't stop you dead in your tracks. Always plan for every possible outcome of an action, not just the ideal outcome. The Art of Blocking is an excellent article to help you start looking at the field properly for blocking - and remember that Elves block as well as anyone else, it's all based on relative strength, assists, and the Block skill.

I rolled snake eyes on my levelled up Delf blitzer - took Mighty Blow instead of guard. Some residual chaos in my playbook...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Me and Jolima attempted to play our champs game tonight.

First, the BB server disconnected us on T1.

Then my PC crashed on T1.

Then we started, and I got absolutely battered in the first half, conceding 3 touchdowns by T8.

Then my computer, possibly out of a misguided sense of loyalty, exploded again. (posting this from my EyePad)

Massive apologies to Jolima, who was handsomely winning, (i'm normally very reliable! Honest)

If an admin could set the game as a 4-0 win for him please. (I reckon thats what we would've ended up with).

Sorry again Jolima!

I'll just confirm the game as it is (3-0). At least I think that lets both of us keep passing/injury SPP and I think those are lost if we change the result.

Thanks for the game, short as it was.

Edit: Oh, and that's my 4th and final lvl 4 vampire. Two with Blodge/Sidestep, one with Block/+ST/Mighty Blow and one with Blodge/+AG. Two of them are rapidly closing in on lvl 5 as well. Hurrah!
    Last edited by Jolima; 09-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by braindance View Post
    Greetings Chaps :)

I've just picked up BB:LE in the steam xmas sales, and I'd be very interesting in joining the league.

However, I am totally noob, and would be more than happy to be a punching bag for as long as it takes for me to get a bit better :).

Is there room in the leagues for total noobishness, or will I get trashed constantly and not have any fun?

Also, I'm an Aussie, living in Perth but I am available to play games pretty much every evening AU time, and any time on the weekends.

Let me know if it's worth me jumping right in, or if I should play some other matches somehow first of all?
    I'll echo what everyone else said - jump in. The worst that happens is you lose a lot, trash your team, and start over.

My best pieces of advice: www.bbtactics.com - amazingly good site. Pick your team, read the articles, read the Basics of Caging, read the Block article.

And the single best piece of advice: Remember that the dice will always screw you. All you can do is minimize how much. Do all your non-dice moves first. Then do all your 2-dice tackles with Block/Wrestle, then your 2-dice rolls, then your rerollables (Dodge, Sure Hands, etc). Then, if you're feeling crazy, try for 1 dice tackles or the like. But every single roll, even a 2-die tackle with Block, can fail. Assume it will, and look at your team with a thought towards "where will I be when this fails?" every time you do something.

And then remember to just say "screw it" when it matters. ;) Sometimes you gotta double GFI for a touchdown!

And and feel free to hit me up for a non-league game if you're interested, and I'm around - Ergonomic Cat on Steam.
    RPS Blood Bowl, Division F: Skitter About, Skaven Scramblers

Quote Originally Posted by Ergonomic Cat View Post
    Then, if you're feeling crazy, try for 1 dice tackles or the like.
    Or if you play Halflings (or Gobs), do 2 dice against yourself because you don't have much choice anyway, and you've got to use that bucket of rerolls somehow. Oh, and preferably dodge your way out of action :)
    Last edited by Kapouille; 10-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergonomic Cat View Post
    And then remember to just say "screw it" when it matters. ;) Sometimes you gotta double GFI for a touchdown!
    As a matter of good form you have to formally declare "Elf Ball!" in chat before attempting a crazy play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    As a matter of good form you have to formally declare "Elf Ball!" in chat before attempting a crazy play.
    This. Especially if you're trying something agility-esque with orcs or dwarfs. You're also free to say "CHECK THIS OUT IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!" - please note this almost guarantees failure, but in the unlikely event that your black orc does pull off that catch, three dodges, and two go for its, it makes the whole thing look even better.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I always forget to do this, and so my stupid ideas never work.