View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 162 of 415 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 8290
    (Hey nulk, play fumbbl. It's better!)
    Me and Jaytee just got dropped because of his completely unreasonable attempt to send a % sign in chat, we're replaying on friday.

ARRRRRRRR!!!! CYANIIIIIIIDE!

Bloodbowl decided to crash on Turn 9 of my game with Rakysh. If an admin could reset the match we're going to pitch for a replay on Friday.

Ulf's Marauders (Chaos, Jlahnum) 1 - 0 Anupshi Rises (Khemri, Dog Pants)

The two fighting teams of Division 7 lined up on a scorching day in anticipation of a violent match. A kick to the Marauders was quickly scooped up and heavily caged along their right field by beastmen, while the greenhorn Chaos Warriors learned their first lesson about Khemri - that Tomb Guardians are freakishly strong. The hefty cage smashed into the skeletal Anupshi linemen like a bowling ball, slowing but not stopping. True to form though, whenever a beastman's horns smashed one of the linemen they simply picked themselves back up and lurched back into the fight. Getting bogged down, the Marauder ball carrier was smashed through the fragile skeleton defences and made a plucky run for the touchline. Despite a surprising rally of bony defenders though, the runner gets through for a mid-half touchdown.
    Now receiving, and with half the team on both sides out of the game with heat stroke, Anupshi Rises burst forward through the threadbare Marauder defence in a lightning attack by a blitzer. Supported by a lone skeleton the momentum didn't last long, and there proved to be ample beastmen left on the pitch to flatten the runner. Before the end of the half the fragile Anupshi skeletons had suffered for their blitzer's impetuousness, with the Marauders injuring one and KOing another.

The second half looked tricky for the Khemri team, starting with nine men against a team who had kicked them all around the pitch during the previous half. Nontheless, an ambitious feint left led into a doomed pass toward a small hunting party of players on the right touchline. Relying on slow reactions and overcommitment by the Marauder's beastmen, the would-be receivers were disappointed to find themselves skull-to-skull with the Chaos linemen once more as the defence snapped back into place. Despite punting a defender into the crowd, the Khemri could only manage to fight the ball a few yards further before the action ground to a halt and turned into a game of attrition. With the seconds ticking away, both teams seemed to consolidate their positions by beating up the other with the ball skipping around as only a mild distraction. As the final whistle blew, the commentators were heard to remark on how hard you need to hit a skeleton to leave a blood splat on the pitch.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the write up and the fun game Dog Pants. It really was a bruiser for both sides and although the Marauders managed to carry the day, there were times I was definitely a bit worried. Yes, the shocking strength of Tomb Guardians was a surprise to me when I'm used to holding the line with three Warriors and not much else. Luckily my warriors managed to take the beating without anyone getting broken. Still a minotaur is high on my list of my priorities to buy at this point to be a little more even in future entanglements with mummies of any stripe.

I certainly was forced to play very defensively and I have a feeling that if Nuffle had smiled on you a bit more this would have been a tie for sure. I did catch a few lucky breaks specifically with my first touchdown and the dodge my beastman made with no re-rolls left. It was a bold play on my part and luckily it paid off.

Good luck in your further matches.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Have you considered NOT buying a minotaur? They are simultaneously awesome and problematic, and their awesomeness disguises the problems and also makes it hard to think rationally and sack them.

Awesome things:
    -Str 6 when blitzing
    -Frenzy
    -Wild Animal is the least bad drawback for big guys.
    -New coaches tend to be more scared of them than they really deserve
    -It's a freaking minotaur I mean come on, how could that not be awesome?

Things that are not awesome:
    -They will ALWAYS let you down at the least convenient moment
    -They cost a great deal of blood bowl money and bloat your TV
    -They have AV8 which is the same as an elf.

Last time I had a minotaur in my Divisions team I conceded a touchdown because the idiot failed a wild animal roll - and I was asking him to blitz, which is a 2+ roll. They always let you down.
    Last time I played against a minotaur, I knocked him over in turn 2, got some assists round him, and KO'd him out of the game until half time. 150K TV, more if he had skills, taken out just like that.

Skaven are short on average strength and strength access, so even though the rat ogre is AV8 he might be worth taking.
    Chaos have 4 Str4 guys out of the box and access to strength skills throughout the team. Even though minos are awesome, there's a convincing argument that it's actually counterproductive to get one. If you're coming up short against mummies, get some guard and also consider just tying them down with cheap beastmen for them to smash. They have the agility of a medium sized office building, so if you put a guy next to them they're staying there.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 08-02-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Their primary virtues are fluff and generally being awesome. For pure efficiency, minotaurs have no place in a chaos team.

Having said that, I may still be holding a grudge for the time my +ST Minotaur killed itself on a triple skull.

On the basis of what the Incredible Nulk just wrote, is there a case for having a TV threshold for the top tier of divisions? E.g. you only enter it if you get promoted and your tv is higher than a certain number.

Its probably not workable but you can draw parallels with the way football and rugby leagues force a certain standard of facilities on new entrants to their top leagues. And it does fall down with respect to the stunties (if they make it that far).

I speak as someone who doesn't want a reset, (obvs, cf. ChainsawHands), and if forced to, will pick Woodies again. But I kinda get Nulk's point and wonder if there's a worthwhile workaround.

Or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Oh man, is it time for the minotaur debate again?

They are the best big guy unless you're also counting mummies. The synergy between Frenzy, Horns and Wild Animal makes them quite formidable, even against other big guys - and on top of that you can easily give them Claws too.

No big guy is ever 100% reliable (I don't count mummies) and you have to keep that in consideration when you hire them, but Wild Animal is not all that bad a setback and minotaurs are tremendously good at what they do.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Rat Ogres arent too bad to be honest, but they just never fit with how i play my skaven teams.

Agathis Avengers (Wood Elf, AgP) vs dandy-lions (High Elf, Deeky)

On the night before a big game, a Blood Bowl team will often often get together, psyche themselves up, run a few practice plays, or get drunk and stuff their tiny faces (Halflings). New debutantes, the dandy-lions, spent most of their evening polishing their uniforms until they were shiny. Priorities, right?

Agathis Avengers took to the field looking well prepared and fresh. the dandy-lions, so unprepared they'd even forgotten to capitalize the required elements of their name, well, they took to the field at least.

AgP won the toss and elected to receive. The teams took to the pitch and the whistle blew.

We all knew Wood elves were quick. The coaching staff new what to expect but still struggled to deal with it. Pockets of AgP's Wood elves darted through the lines while the dandy-lions tried to keep them covered. It didn't take them long to work a hole through the panicking High Elf team and soon the ball came sailing along into the hands of a catch, who streaked to the end-zone. It was all a little too perfect though, as he tried to go that extra bit of distance to cross the line he stumbled, knocking himself out in the process and leaving the ball scattered in the dandy-lion end-zone.

Relying entirely on gut instinct and a misjudged sense of self worth, one of the dandy-lion players dashed for the ball, and in a rare moment of lucky genius, hurled it hard across to the other, now exposed flank of the pitch. No one was more surprised that the dandy-lion player who caught it. Suddenly the wood elves were on the back foot, unprepared for such a ridiculous counter attack. Some excellent protection from the high elf linesmen, including one player who threw his body in the way of some potential attackers, meant that AgP was powerless to stop the touchdown. 0-1

Somehow, we were winning. It didn't last long.

Players on both sides had been knocked out during first drive, and this time the Wood elves didn't make any mistakes, expertly finding a gaps down the flanks which the High Elves could do nothing about. As the end of the half approached, AgP grabbed the touchdown he deserved earlier.

Halftime: 1-1

The Avengers were kicking off, so we prepared to attack, thinking we had the advantage. A short passing play sent the dandy-lions rushing towards the end-zone, but the Avengers were well prepared, and covered well, knocking the ball free in their half and scooping it up. Worried about conceding a second, the dandy-lions threw the majority of their players into the ruck to try and knock the ball free, but the catcher holding it refused to be knocked down. The series of blocks were starting to take their toll on both sides, however, and without any subs, the pitch was starting to thin out. Sensing the numbers weren't going his way, AgP made some slighty risking moves, which paid off, moving the ball out of his half and quickly into the dandy-lion end-zone. 2-1 to the Agathis Avengers.

There was little time left on the clock, and even fewer players. The Avengers had six players still on the field after the bloody battles of the last drive, and though their numbers were also thinning, the dandy-lions took advantage of the numbers to drive straight up the field to try to equalize. Despite a concerted effort to stop the touchdown, including losing another player, the Avengers were unable to deal with the attack and conceded in the dying seconds of the game, leaving them just enough time to receive the kick off before the reference called an end to the game.

Final score 2-2

I was very very lucky to get something out of this game.

Network Hub
    Hey, you all look like a wonderful lot of psychopaths! Can I join? I know I have to wait until next month to start, but that's just more time to sharpen my knives.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I always thought of myself as more of a sociopath, you need to put your details in the spreadsheet old chap - start of this thread - with an N(next number) for division and make sure you pick a team that isn't full, check the race balance tab on the sheet, otherwise welcome welcome!

Network Hub
    Thanks for the welcome and the guidance, Mr. Key. I've decided to go Dwarven for my debut, although I was earnestly considering the Ogres. I am looking forward to setting foot on the pitch!

Oh, and props to the AAR writers in this thread - really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    ARRRRRRRR!!!! CYANIIIIIIIDE!

Bloodbowl decided to crash on Turn 9 of my game with Rakysh. If an admin could reset the match we're going to pitch for a replay on Friday.
    Match reset.

Note to all - I know *your* team is the centre of the universe to you, but as admins we have to try and keep track of ~70 teams so if you can let us admins know which division you are in then it'll be easier to find them for the reset. ;)
    Last edited by ntw; 09-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    With reference to Nullkigan and Hughtower's very valid points, I certainly don't mind creating limits on teams being promoted, although it might be better if it was voluntary? Eg. someone wants to stay down as they feel their team is too low value for the next division up, so they ask us? That way a judgement can be made by us admins. Obviously, if they are stuck between very low teams and higher teams it might be a tricky call to make, and we don't want to hold a team down to face new guys if they have gained a couple of hundred TV. I would tend to promote a team and rely on inducements to help them than leave them as the high value team in the division below. So, in the future (and I'll add this to the rules), if you feel you're being promoted beyond your team's capabilities, make the point to me (preferably in here, although also via PM if you're worried about it being lost) before the next season starts and we'll see what we can do for you.

With regards your problems specifically Null, I'm sorry you've been promoted up a bit swiftly. With so many teams to track, I don't always have a good handle on who's gone where over the previous seasons (and I lack TV information when working off the sheet to see an anomaly), and obviously you've been bumped up a bit fast and are hitting a nasty ceiling. The restarts and reboots do make promotions come a bit swiftly sometimes, but I feel the structure is about as good as we can get it for a long-term league with a changing player-base. With the newly-suggested option of you being able to ask to stay where you are, at least this could help your situation somewhat (especially as you keep winning and could end up promoted again - indeed, for all your TV troubles, you seem to be doing ok where you are :-D).

Any team obviously can have players killed at any level (claws and mighty blow could quite easily be encountered in your first season, if not in your first game, and mighty blow/piling on isn't a stretch). Of course, players get more expensive to lose as your team improves, obviously and I would expect any team in the top half of the divisions to lose more points than they gain if a player was killed - especially as your opponent will target your better players.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

To be honest I would rather see a bit more cushioning for teams at the bottom of the league, than the top. It can be lethal to a rookie non-bashy team if it ends up surrounded by bashies in its first season, for example. The situation can be just as dramatic when a veteran team is demoted to the starter divisions.

Not sure what can be done about that, perhaps splitting the lowest divisions between certain races where possible, or preventing non-new teams from being demoted to the bottom divisions at all?

...Or maybe a large proto-division beneath at the bottom of the league that runs challenge games only, and has its scores reset at the start of each season? Then the top 2 (plus more to fill) teams at the end of each season could be promoted into the lowest division. This would allow the baby teams to be more discriminating about their competition and prevent veterans coming down from Div 6 and stealing their lunch money.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing. Does anyone else even see this as an issue?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    A baby league is a good idea, but be aware I have played 4 matches and killed 3 opponent players.

Baby leagues can still kill.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I like the Darwinian aspect of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    A baby league is a good idea, but be aware I have played 4 matches and killed 3 opponent players.
    Nice try, but you won't psyche me out before our game tonight!!

*cries* ;~;

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Nice try, but you won't psyche me out before our game tonight!!

*cries* ;~;
    Look on the bright side, you'll probably win the game, the winnings will go some way to replace your casualties.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/