View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 10 of 415 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Silent, but Deadly (President Weasel, Dark Elves, childish fart/assassin pun) 2 - 2 Rats of Westminster (Zoraster, Skaven, British politician team names)

I kicked off.
    Zoraster scored quickly (after Iron Quinns fell over going for it in the snow. With a reroll)
    I lost a player (Mathrel, -1ag +1mv lineman) to a dead result in turn 2. I apoced him to BH. Zoraster thought I was tempting fate using my apoc on a lineman with a stat injury, but I didn't think my chances were that bad.
    I lost a player (Tantil, my level 3 runner with dodge and nerves of steel on top of dump off) to a dead result in turn 4.
    I scored pretty quickly for 1-1.
    The kickoff result was a pitch invasion that left most of the rats and maybe 4 elves standing.
    Iron Quinns screwed up an "anything but a 1" leap which would have given him a 2 dicer on Zoraster's ball carrier.
    Zoraster wasn't in a good position to stall so scored quickly for 2-1.
    Iron Quinns screwed up an "anything but a 1" leap AGAIN which would have put him in the backfield as a scoring option. Zoraster covered the other blitzer I had in postion, and the half ended 2-1.
    My assassin had utterly failed to achieve anything all half despite the crappy armour of the rats. He'd also failed to shadow anyone, but given the gutter runners' superior movement that was less of a surprise. I'd managed to use up Zoraster's apoc changing a fractured skull to a MNG, but at the end of the half I watched Zoraster's two KO'd rats leap back up while my dead star player stayed very, very dead. I was losing the match.

I got in a right grumpy mood because of the dice and Iron Quinns's continual shameless treachery and Dark Trevor McSinister's failure to pull off a single great cleave despite being presented with a bag of rats. Wait, that's fighters.
    The dark elves seemed to pick up my mood, and got nasty.

The second half was basically my team moving the ball slowly up the pitch and hurting (and occasionally surfing) rat men. The ball was loose a couple of times, but Zoraster was out of rerolls and I had enough of a numbers advantage to clear the rats away and pick up again.

Iron Quinns took a look at my face and decided it would be a good idea not to fail the 2+ pickup in turn 15, and he trundled home in turn 16 to tie the score. Zoraster didn't have a one-turner, the kickoff result was a rock to the face of Mathrel, and the game ended 2-2.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 15-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.

That's pretty brutal. Poor rats.

They deserved it.

My only regret is that I never got to kill mrs Thatcher.

(all together now..... AND IN THE GAME!)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Further to Weasel’s summary a good match that swung on one major second half moment. Gordon Brown failed a pick-up in the open (admittedly in the rain, but he hit the one so it didn’t make any difference) which would have let him walk in the defensive score and earn the 3-1 lead and near certain victory.

If Rats had edged the fortune in the first half it swung against them big time after the break. In total 16 ones from 59 D6 rolls crippled Rats defence as a succession of failed AG4 dodges, pick-ups and catches meant the Deadly advance was spluttering but ultimately successful. It was enough to guarantee the draw though, and leave the chance of a turn 16 one turner. However Weasel provided an awkward set up that would force at least one dodge to blitz in the right direction, and only having 9 players meant I couldn’t waste actions clearing the middle man off the LoS. Moreover the elf kicker was still in action so I had to keep more players back to receive than I really wanted. In the end I made a last minute choice to make the dodge and blitz with my spare Gutter, but I had taken too long and only managed to move the lino off the los before time ran out... total cock up and made the one turner even more unlikely. However in keeping with my day the gutter snake eyed the dodge, so it would all have come to nought anyway.

So still unbeaten, but promotion chances are gone. With so many key skills taken out ahead of the Dwarf encounter and the Dwarfs having the security of AG4 ball handling I’ll be very happy just to escape the drop. A Storm Vermin will be on the sidelines for this one and a wrestle lino got killed along with Gordon Brown, the Blodge Sidestepper with butter fingers who totally deserved to die after costing Rats the easy win.

I do fear for a skaven team sans a StormVermin and a gutter runner vs dorfs. Good luck.

Actually, Pier could beat Nullkigan and lose to you, leaving him on 3 points and you on 5. If Nullks then beats me that would leave him and me on 4 points and you promoted.
    Promotion chances are unlikely, I'll grant you, but they're not mathematically impossible - and dwarfs are amazon kryptonite.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You are rather skipping over the tricky part of that equation :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by unitled View Post
    Isn't the problem then that someone blitzes/blocks your catcher the turn before you need them though? You can't stand up, catch, then run in the ball. Even low ST players can be good carriers with the right skills (safe hands, blodge, fend, etc.), especially as you'll usually have players standing near them for the assists (or cancelling out opposing assists).
    You're not going to be giving the ball to an AG3 player in a TZ anyway though, so Block makes zero difference in this respect. Instead Wrestle then forces another defender to mark the prone catcher, helping create space elsewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Some excellent match reports up there chaps, most enjoyable, I do enjoy living out other people's good (and bad) dice rolls :-).

Ok, last bit of admin for now - week 1 is UP!
    As NTW said earlier, all divs are moved on apart from DivA waiting on Duffin vs alh_p (and if you guys are playing tomorrow, thats fine by me) and DivC waiting on sinister agent vs combat (who are able to get together on thursday, so unless the other chaps in C have any objections, I'm happy for them to get their game in on thurs rather than default).

I'm off on holidays tomorrow for a week so I'll rely on my admins to keep up with the games and division stuff. If there's any issues/extensions/defaults to be sorted, final word rests with ntw for now (cheers ntw! No coup d'etats whilst I'm away, ok? You know what happened to the last guy who tried that. He's not biologically a guy any more, for one). I MAY have wifi where I'm going, but I also may want to switch everything off, too, so if you don't hear from me I'm probably enjoying myself (in a non-blood bowl manner! Shocking!) ;-).
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    You're not going to be giving the ball to an AG3 player in a TZ anyway though, so Block makes zero difference in this respect. Instead Wrestle then forces another defender to mark the prone catcher, helping create space elsewhere.
    True. Though, at least having block rather than wrestle on a receiver give the potential to blitz away the marking player and have a useful receiver in a position to catch and score if needs be; no help if you're double marked, but then you're at a player advantage, and the skill has proved useful anyway.

I guess I was debating the wisdom of wrestle on a carrier rather than a receiver; as in, the player you would put sure hands on, and pass the ball to to keep it safe until your other players are in position to put your play together. Though I think wrestle is a bit of an under-appreciated skill, it's not always the best choice.

EDIT: That said, what GC was talking about was having a defensive catcher with Wrestle, something I think is a really good idea (attempting to go wrackle -> dauntless -> side step on one of mine to make a useful safety that can score on offense in a pinch!)
    Last edited by unitled; 14-06-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    A hectic two day run sees Dead Rodents Walking emerge with two wins, the second a 3-2 win over the Lyran Common-Elf.

Dragon's 400k in inducements were spent on a wizard, bloodweiser babe, bribe and a wandering apothecary.

I opted to receive first and ran in the predictable one turn touchdown. 1-0.

The rest of the half was a messy single-drive affair. My defence was working quite well, in spite of my secondary thrower going off badly hurt, I succeeded in taking one line elf off injured (niggling injury rerolled to MNG), putting both elven blitzers off unconscious and swarming the ball carrier, eventually grabbing it in a scrum of rats. Turns out, wizards really like a scrum of low AV players. A fireball into the middle of the scrum saw my kicker dead (no apothecary for linerats, just a kick in the head to check if they're still alive), two more of my players unconscious and Dragon's kicker badly injured. My frantic defence after this deus ex machina ultimately failed, with Dragon scoring in turn 8 ensuring no one-turn retaliation. 1-1.

The second half starts off looking quite good for me. In spite of casualties sustained, I can still field 11 players while Dragon is stuck with 9. Nuffle apparently isn't fond of the maths here and begins screwing with my team's armour rolls, putting players down stunned, unconscious or injured one after another. Again in spite of my team's valiant efforts, Dragon scored mid-way through the half. 1-2.

Now the pressure is on, but I know I can score a quick equaliser. Or can I? I knew my one-turner had to fail sometime, he chose now to do it of all times. He rolls snake eyes on his first GFI and falls flat. This wouldn't have been a problem, but Dragon has a bloody +2MA thrower that promptly ran back, scooped up the ball and passed it away to the safety of a cage. A turn or so later I was in a good position to bludgeon my Rat Ogre through to the carrier, but of course he rolls AD/AD and fails to reroll. I think my moaning hit critical mass at this point and Nuffle just threw in the towel (seems to be a pattern in my games, the dice hate me but eventually Nuffle can't stand my whining anymore and lets things go my way in the closing turns), because my rolls suddenly started going right almost every time. A series of lucky blocks (I say lucky, they were actually just 2d blocks going to plan mostly) put the ball as clear as it was going to get and a GR managed to make a series of dodges, scoop the ball out of 2 TZ's and hand off to my one turner (who was still hovering near the endzone). 2-2.

I figured 2-2 as being the end result, 3 turns to go and I'm unlikely to get possession. What to do? Well; play like a skaven, take stupidly aggressive risks and hope for the best. Nuffle was apparently still resignedly letting me have my way, because my RO managed to dodge into 3 tackle zones (I love you break tackle) and make 2 GFI's to plant himself squarely next to the ball carrier (he would have flattened the ball carrier, but sadly the block dice didn't go my way). The rest of my team promptly swarms around the scrum, trying desperately to deny any assists attacking the RO. This didn't quite work out, next turn my RO got floored, but then Dragon's lack of rerolls in a reroll-burning game tripped him at the last hurdle. An easy but important block (1d with block) rolled AD and caused a turnover before the ball carrier had moved away from my RO and with most of my players still standing in base contact with his. Next turn my RO gets back up, blitzes, and this time properly knocks the ball carrier flat. The ball lands in a few tackle zones, but I have enough players to 2d block all but one of the defenders around it. One of my GR's manages to nip in and grab the ball, extracting it and handing off to my one turner. He's out of scoring range, but Dragon has no players within movement range (GFI's inclusive) of the opposite sideline. My one-turner dashes across the pitch out of range of any defenders and my remaining players try to stop the only remotely threatening player (one blitzer who could force some risky dodging) from getting near. My limited precautions pay off next turn, the blitzer failing an easy dodge and giving my GR a clear run at the endzone for a turn 16 touchdown. 3-2.

Well played Dragon, a very nicely levelled team you have there, remarkably evenly experienced so leaving little in the way of weak links. In the end that skaven luck-play simply paid off, finally breaking through the fragile elven cages and outrunning the fairly slow high elves to take a very narrow victory. Best of luck in future.

The lineman I used my apoc to save today got enough points to get level 3 and is now a +1 move/wrestle ag3 lineman who should make a decent safety. He'd also been with the team for 16 games, since they started in the divisions, so I would have been sad to lose him.

Sadly, the guy who died was already level 3, had also been with us from the start, and looking at the hall of fame he had the most completions in the Division (8), the most interceptions (with 1 where everyone else had zero, thanks to nerves of steel in a crowd), was the best runner on my team and the third best in the Division with 204 yards, was the best thrower on my team and the third best in the division with 40 yards, and was the second best receiver on my team and the third best in the Division, with 4. He even showed up in the list of "best killers" (with zero, but he was there on the list).

He'll be missed.

And (segueing nicely) so will you be, Groovy! I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Welcome to Tooth and Claw, the discerning Necromancer's almanac of choice. Blood Bowl has long been a hot topic of discussion amongst our readership, many of whom are keen members of the NBC. Inspired by this we have decided to sponsor a fresh Necromantic team through their first seasons (though more in a "use this name or else" sense rather than anything contractual or legal). We'll be reporting on their progress, and just to spice things up a little we'll also be throwing a few obstacles in their way to test their mettle.

The first match up was against an Undead team named "The Easy Dead", a excellent chance to kick things off on a level playing field. A number of interesting phenomena were observed.

• Early on in the game we successfully substituted one of the robust Blood Bowl zombies on Tooth and Claw with an experimental zombie goblin. Our suspicions as to how it would perform were swiftly confirmed as it was immediately reduced to its component parts by a stern look from a mummy.
    • Zombie intelligence may actually be collective in some respects. In both halves zombies from either side squared off on the line of scrimmage, only to start animatedly discussing philosophy and the nature of unbeing at the kick off. While the level of debate was excellent it did rather distract them from taking any meaningful part in the game.
    • Mummies are usually angry. Very angry. Without the natural resilience of the average zombie and wight this sponsorship feature could have come to a rather abrupt end.
    • Whilst excellent in most respects the undead are not natural athletes. Both sides frequently failed to complete the more complicated tasks asked of them by their coaches, including such fiendishly difficult trials as "picking up the ball", "giving the ball to someone else", "trying to pick the ball up again", "not falling over in a gently breeze" and "no, seriously, just pick up the damn ball". Despite this The Easy Dead successfully completed an agile jog down the side of the pitch to score late on in the first half.
    • While zombie intelligence may be gestalt, flesh golem stupidity appears to be immutable. The mummies in particular spent much of their time attempting to push them around, despite the golem's often being too dim to realise they'd been hit.
    • Never underestimate the power of running away. Tried of being remorselessly pounded on by mummies Tooth and Claw managed to score an accidental touchdown early on in the second half while simply trying to escape.
    • After being knocked out during the first half Tooth and Claw's only wolf (Potchi) managed to follow the simple instruction "kick the ball wherever you like so long as it doesn't fall in the middle of that horrible cage with mummies and ghouls and wights" in all but one respect.
    • Potchi's doggy hearing lead to a half of increasingly desperate defence from Tooth and Claw (and increasingly dramatic oratory from the zombie debating committee, still unconcerned by the simple ball game going on around them) as The Easy Dead slowly forced their way towards the end zone. Fortunately a combination of dodging flesh golem and blitzing wight finally forced the ball free, after which the aforementioned athletic issues ensured nobody regained possession.

1-1 at the closing whistle, a fitting score for a closely fought match. Join us next issue as we try to settle that perennial question - just what makes a Necromantic team, the golems or the wolves?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Managed a 1-1 draw vs Maromjets Norse.
    The first TD went to the Norse with a grind all the way down the pitch to the end zone that lasted about 6 turns of the first half. The Ladykillers came back strong and managed to throw the ball to a vamp in the end zone, which was actually plan B but since plan A was throw it to a Thrall i thought better of it once the norse beat the Thrall up.
    The normal mini game of hurt the thrall continued in this game, but the crowd decided not to get involved this time. Sadly most of the thralls only got KO'd and so were back on the pitch too soon.
    Started the 2nd half with a kick to my Vamps and a few players ran through some gaps and then next turn were surrounded and beaten to the ground, so the vamps went for a cage up one side of the pitch. Which then lead to a lost ball and the norse running in a touch down with only 3 squares to go.
    Being so close to losing the Vamps had to really concentrate and managed not to eat any thralls for a few turns, and even pulled off a Hypnotic gaze so a thrall could run after the ball carrier with no dodge rolls. The plan was, hit the ball carrier with the thrall hope he gets knocked over pick the ball up with a Vamp and throw it waaaaaaaaayyyyyy down field to a thrall who would then hand off to a Vamp who would run it in.
    Surprisingly this plan didnt work, infact it didnt even get past step one. So the Thrall was just left standing next to a Berserker three squares away from his own end zone. The Vamp that was meant to be picking up the ball that wasnt in the floor was pretty confused so he just ran next to the Berserker to ask why he still had the ball.
    Next thing you know the Berserker tries to hit the Thrall and to the surprise of everyone, especially the Thrall the Berserker goes down. Ending the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Validated.

I'm strongly considering retiring my Skaven (from the DoD anyway, they'll promptly reappear in the challenge league if so) at the close of this season, even more so if I win (which potentially becomes a certainty depending on the championship's other day 2 fixture). The spark seems to have gone somewhat from my rats, and I've now hit 30k spiralling expenses with little sign of that decreasing.

Of course the problem is it's a really bad time to switch, with the only decent available races being ones that play the same way. I guess I could try Elves next season for a change to the passing game. What I'm really pining for is a Chaos slot to open up, I'd be all over that; a nice slow-burning bashy team, full mutation access, a great overall roster.

I hope to be above you in the league if that ever happens; I wish I'd never swapped away from Chaos, and I lost out on the last slot by virtue of league position.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In which case I should certainly hang onto my Skaven until my desired swap comes along. If I swap from my winning team now I may well never get my desired team :P

Now all I need is a plot to murder one (or more) of the current Chaos players.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Now all I need is a plot to murder one (or more) of the current Chaos players.
    Pah. Scheming Skaven is that? You're simply not worthy of the dark gods' favour!

Speaking of dark gods' favour, neither Duff's Waagh or Khorne's favour were strong enough to ensure either our teams getting a real edge. The first half was undeniably the Orcs as they injured three beastmen in the process of scoring a distinctly elfy TD in turn 5 (i think). An abortive attempt to level the scores by my Chaos was nipped in the bud by a resolute Orc defense.

I admit to being quite downhearted (grumpy, recriminatory and childish) at this point. Outnumbered and out block'ed I was wondering how i would find a gap through which to fire a beastmen. Regardless, having no choice but all out assault my mino got well stuck in, with perhaps rather reckless gusto. Over the course of about 6 turns i managed to injure 2 of the orcs as the melee spread out accross Duff's half. Meanwhile, my ball carrier who had been hanging back got blitzed and the ball rolled loose. Duffin ran a blitzer in from wide to cover the ball, risking one GFI too many and giving my carrier space to get back up. The ball recovered, my beasty managed to run round the wing with a CW protecting him from the closest BO in range. The conclusive evidence that Nuffle favoured me for the 2nd half came when Duff's BO attemoted to blitz the CW -presumably to get in tackle range of the ball carrier. The unlucky BO rolled a skull and went down with a fractured skull, apo'd to BH.

The game ended 1-1, I'd hope Duffin would agree it was a fair reflection but he might well have expected to be able to stall my under-manned drive. Then again, he did keep punching my mino so cursory sympathy will have to do... ;)

And thanks again for the forebearance of our dear and omniscient mods, who granted us an extension to play the game.
    Last edited by alh_p; 15-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Yeh good game. Orcs hit beastmen, beastmen hit orcs. 1-0. Beastmen hit orcs, orcs hit beastmen. 2-0.

Well played alh_p, I look forward to our next grudge match. I'm scheming already.