View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 210 of 415 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260310 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 8290
    Feels like I've been playing HughTower forever.

Monopole Magnates (lizards, Jim) v The Tiny Dancers (welves, Hugh)

I decided to finally buy that replacement Kroxigor so I'd like to welcome Moneybags Jr to the squad. His keen capitalist senses and extreme hyperviolence should prove useful, and it will allow a bit more variation in how I set up (there's a surprising difference between 6 sauruses/5 skinks and 1 krox/6 saurus/4 skinks). Even with that extra bloat we were still less flabby than the Dancers who drip skillpoints gravy everywhere, so we bought in a wizard as well.

Hugh wins the toss and kicks (I never understand why you kick first to be honest). I set out the stall of the most relentlessly boring offensive ever, standing on the halfway line, a skink surrounded by a saurus posse, and then just push people back as they come in. Hugh manages to stun the odd saurus but nothing lasting, and as his numbers are thinning, I begin to think about moving forwards. Throughout the half there is of course the danger of Wardancer magic blitzes, but we survive those that come in until turn 4, when he knocks the skink over with one leaping warbastard, then almost gets the ball with the other. Almost.

We recover the ball, still on the halfway line and surrounded by sauruses, and the wood elves see weakness, pouring into and around my cage. I decide this is the time to act, so push them back as prudently as possible and go to the far left, though not quite hugging the touchline. I think this went pretty well as Hugh has no rerolls and will probably fail something now...nope, he covers my players, blitzers with a wardancer who then leaps and picks up the ball to boot. I knock him down, get it back but then panic a bit when I realise there's not really any cage I can salvage here and I need to have a chance of scoring (it's turn 7 by now). I get the ball but go for a very risky handoff to gutterskink and he drops it, the swine. I get the option to use the wizard at the start of Hugh's turn and go for it, knocking out a wardancer next to the ball, but it's still eminently scorable. All Hugh needs to do is blitz the other skink away (success), pick it up with his nearby thrower, and then....oh wait the thrower rolls snake eyes and drops it, that was fortunate.

Gutterskink gets a second chance as I engineer a few chainpushes to nearly clear the area around the ball, then run my one skink in range onto the touchline. Gutterskink dodges (2+), picks up in a TZ (3+) and passes (4+ 3+) to that skink and we're 1-up though we don't really deserve it. Hugh doesn't attempt the one-turner, choosing instead to knockout two sauruses but everybody gets up at halftime anyway. Back to square 1, 1-0 to the magnates so far.

Sodding elves just run everybody long and do a very long pass in the next turn to equalise. Theoretically this is good, I just need to trundle in a winner on Turn 16 now, let's see how that goes...well he gets a perfect defence but there's not many ways you can arrange elves in front of sauruses so that they win the bash war, and my first round of punching is good, causing a cas (finally) and a KO. With a cage in place I'm feeling pretty confident as all we have to do now is get a cage in place on the right....and the one guy that has to GFI to get into position fails his GFI and also the reroll. Okay I'm exposed now, oh god. Hugh swarms in and covers the ball-carrying skink, and I don't read the skills well-enough, getting diving tackled as I attempt to effortlessly jink away. Even more danger now. The blitz is only pushes (fine, I've got sidestep), the next block is a BD (wrestle), but eventually he makes a path for the +Ag wardancer to run in and chuck the ball accurately to the other wardancer some miles away. A saurus marking the treeman is KO'd but eh, that tree isn't going anywhere fast.

I continue panicking but KO a catcher and a thrower then stun the wardancer, only one guy covering the ball though and no chance to pick it up. Hugh uses his other dancer, scoops it up, leaps away to the sidelines but his attempts to cover him are thwarted by my Diving Tackle (BOOT IS ON THE OTHER FOOT SUCKER). I surf the dancer but the ball does not fall nicely for those guys of mine that can move. I risk a 2db with a skink and get double skulls for my troubles, which turns a bad situation into a terrible one. It's now Hugh's turn 16. The dauntless wardancer knocks away my lone covering saurus and runs to the touchline, the catcher runs in, picks up the ball and readies the pass....oh thank god it scattered. I have a look around but every possible score for me now involves a 6+ pass so I go for broke and try a 9+ one that, fortunately for Hugh's blood pressure, fails massively.

1-1 at full time, hard fought with about eight turns of desperation and eight turns of boredom. All down to the final championship game to decide the winner, could still be me, Hands or Donut, depending on if they win or draw.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You kick first because you still have lots of mans. This lets you pressure the other mans into, hopefully, scoring early or making a mistake. Or maybe you can smash some of their mans while their friends are trying to protect the ball? It's the classic 2-1 grind, kicking first, innit.

The kick first theory is based on that it's easier to defend against bashy teams with a full 11 player roster than who knows what at the start of the second half. With the MA and AG advantage, you can slow down the cage either prevent a score or force the panicked mistake and steal a TD (as would have happened in our game, if my thrower hadn't had an attack of the snake-eyes).
    You then get the ball back in the second half, score in 2 and you've got 6 turns to defend a 1 or 2 nil lead.

If I receive first, then I score reasonably quickly, and then I could face the prospect of anywhere of around 10-16 turns getting beaten up against the grind, with the attrition that entails. As it happens, that's what happened in our Open match when I called Receive by accident.

But, hell, I've not won a DoD match in 4 cracks at it so maybe it's time to try something new.

I know but it's like you're turning down an immediate opportunity to punch mans. I suppose I have made my teams uncommonly bashy though.

I may not be the king of strategy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Man punching is the strategy of kings.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Given the choice I prefer man punching but electing to kick can work for bashy teams too, especially if you're playing against a team that can score in one turn.

As a bashy team I often kick when I intend to hospitalise everyone and the ball will just be a liability.

Kick deep, try and eliminating fast players or catchers or failing that anything squishy once I stun or better the worst threats to scoring and start out numbering I try and pick up the ball. If I have a 2/1 players on the pitch ratio I start fouling the squishy skilled players. :D

Come turn 8 I get to pick up the ball at my leisure and instead of caging the ball? I cage the other teams remaining players.

HULK SMASH!

I believe the idea for kicking first against quicker teams (I wouldn't against a bashy team) is you force them to score on turn 2 or 3, grind out a turn eight TD and then get the ball straight back after the half, and grind out again over the next eight turns.

Division 2 news: it would seem Duffin beat Wolfenswan, which means that despite being in pole position going into day 3 Wolfenswan will be relegated! And despite being dead last going into Day 3, I finish second in the division and once again stay where I am. And despite being dead last going into the very final match of the season, Duffin gets promoted!

What a roller-coaster ride this season's been.

I dedicate this victory to the memory of Sir Brucey of Agi 5, whom has been reincarnated for the princely sum of 100k. May he be as crafty as the last model.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    In a suprisingly bashy game Duff beat me 2-0. It was the first time I played against dark elves and it was an interesting change from all the bashy teams I battled so far. Things went okay for me, with one Blitzer making an interception and gaining a level up and a few odd SPPs for other players. No serious injuries were taken on my side and I lost the game as I had hoped, giving me a bit more time to train me team for the thin air of the higher divisions.

Damn...Leap is so pretty, its a shame I'd need either 2+AG ups or an AG up and pro to make it worth using, god damn its a subversive skill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Alright chaps! Today is the last day of the season! I'm expecting a flurry of games to be played and everyone to be wrapped up today, naturally, not for people to be away and eating chocolate egg products. If you are currently expecting to miss today's deadline, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting an extension. If not I'll start defaulting games tomorrow based on what's in the groups. We'll be aiming to get the next season going ASAP.

New guys, get ready, in the next couple of days you'll be assigned a division and have to apply in-game. If you don't respond, you won't get in this season, so pay attention!! ;-)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Whoop! Been looking forward to this

Guess I need a fresh team to rejoin with?
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I'm going to be away from tomorrow afternoon to Friday evening, do I need to entrust my precious details to someone?

Do the people who are already in one of the Divs need to re-apply in the thread? If not, then I'll just have to do that in the game, right?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Groovy you can default the last game in Div C. I was going to ask for an extension, but Karandraz hasn’t logged on since I proposed the time tomorrow afternoon and I’m not going to rush home on the off chance, especially after the no show a few nights ago.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Groovy - I'm trying to arrange my div D match against ntw tomorrow, but haven't heard from him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Do the people who are already in one of the Divs need to re-apply in the thread? If not, then I'll just have to do that in the game, right?
    No, just keep an eye on this thread and the spreadsheet. You'll be assigned a new division based on promotions and relegations, and you'll need to leave the old division and join the new one (unless you end up in the same division, in which case you need to do nothing). Keep an eye on the thread though, since sometimes people don't apply in time so the divisions get shuffled around.