View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 299 of 415 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 8290
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Yeah, we tried a rematch. I was winning. Game cyanided.
    My timeout selected Flesh Golem winger had you on the ropes!

Best of 3?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Okay hard drive replaced and Windows reinstalled. Now to get things running as I want them. Hnngh.

The Opening match of Div B was always going to be a block fest, with El Cubo's Wayward Gladiators (Norse) vs my Dwarven Giants (Dwarves).

I elected to kick, and Cubo's Gladiators proceeded down the pitch apace, breaking through on turn 4, and forced to score with several enthusiastic dwarves waddling quickly in the direction of the ball carrier. 1 CAS and 2 KOs suffered by the Norse, but both KOs woke up and the Norse were at full strength for the Dwarven drive. The ball landed in the Dwarven TD area, so the stunted ones proceeded to bash at the Norse line in an effort to create a hole. A couple of stuns and a CAS resulted, while the ball was retrieved and handed-off to Mr Ridiculous (my Str 4 AG 5 Runner), who headed for the end zone. More Norse went down, and my dwarves attempted to tie up the remaining Northmen, but one got loose and managed to knock over Mr Ridiculous within sight of the goal line. Then this brave Norseman picked up the ball, and stood in the far right corner of the pitch, with the express intention of 'taking one of the team'. His wish was granted, and he went into the crowd with the ball. The ball landed in the centre, halfway to the Norse TD line, where it was retrieved by my other runner and run in on the last turn of the first half.

1-1 at half time.

Receiving again, the Dwarves again started by punching Norse in the face. The CAS and KOs were starting to stick, and I believe the Norse were down at least at the start of the drive, and then lost a few more. The numbers began to tip against the Norse, as I Mr Ridiculous lurked in ma back field, waiting for an opportunity to pass off to one of my blitzers or my other runner to run in the second TD. One flank was shut down, so I switched to the other side, then decided to blitz through the middle where the Snow Troll (who spent a lot of the game going wild) had been left isolated and suseptible to a blitz. Some heroic dodging and desparate blitzing were for naught, as I scored on turn 15.

With two turns to go, the Norsemen had a last chance to tie up the game. And they came very close, with a virtually perfect run of dice seeing them form a formidible cage in my half, with a Runner only 2 GFIs away from the TD line. I misjudged my final blitzing opportunity (mainly due to exceptional player placement by Cubo), the runner dodged free of my markers, knocked over the one blocking dwarf with a 1D block and.... failed the first gfi, with no TRRs left to save him.

Final score: 2-1 to the Dwarves.

It was not as bloody as Cubo had feared, although he did suffer 3 CAS and at least 5-6 KOs. No injuries or KOs for the dwarves, which was perhaps the biggest surprise given the enthusiasm with which Cubo used PO and his clawing troll.

Thanks for a great, tense finish Cubo, and good luck with against the rest of our bashy division.
    Last edited by Indefatigible Snoozer; 07-07-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigible Snoozer View Post
    More Norse went down, and my dwarves attempted to tie up the remaining Northmen, but one got loose and managed to knock over Mr Ridiculous within sight of the goal line. Then this brave Norseman picked up the ball, and stood in the far right corner of the pitch, with the express intention of 'taking one of the team'. His wish was granted, and he went into the crowd with the ball. The ball landed in the centre, halfway to the Norse TD line, where it was retrieved by my other runner and run in on the last turn of the first half.
    I placed the runner so that you couldn't get it free without throwing the guy into the crowd, hoping that the ball would land in some inconvenient place. But it landed within easy reach of your other runner so that didn't work out so well. Although, that one had only ag3 so I did manage to make scoring a little harder.

It was a fun match. I felt like the underdog, but almost managed to pull a draw. Only three linemen got injured, so overall I figure I came through ok. I had a slight strength advantage, which helped. I induced an extra apotechary, but never used either of them! Should've taken that extra RR instead.

Network Hub
    The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, X_kot) 1 - 0 The London Silly Nannies (Cha, Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo)

It was a bashy game with remarkably few injuries (no chaosmen vs 3 snotlings), and both teams had difficulty moving the ball in a meaningful way. With 440k of inducements, the Nannies opted for a smorgasbord of a wizard, a babe, a reroll, and an apothecary. They elected to receive, and a short kick landed only a few yards behind the LoS. An overzealous frenzy from the minotaur ended the receiving team's first turn prematurely, at which point snotlings began to swarm forward and ogres pushed ahead. Pressure from the ogres prevented the chaos team from picking up the ball, allowing the Knucklers to successfully complete a TTM-TD on Turn 7...and then half-time was called. A couple of turns of ineffectual hitting ensued, followed by the regulation half-time. (The goblin referees responsible for the error have been gang pressed into playing in the Stunty Leeg.)

The second half started with a touchback given to an ogre runner, who was struck by lightning as the team started to cage up. A mad melange ensued around the ball, and the Nannies came very close to equalizing in the closing seconds of the match, denied by a unfavorable 2d block.

Both joey and I had streaky dice - he had a series of pushes followed by a triple skull against a snot, and I had four failed boneheads in a row. We both came out unscathed from the encounter, at least. On to the half-men!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    NTW; when you get a minute the above Division K match is showing up as a draw for the Chaos team in the table.

Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    On to the half-men!
    Come get some! (I bet I can out-badluck you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    NTW; when you get a minute the above Division K match is showing up as a draw for the Chaos team in the table.
    Fixed, thanks for the heads-up :)
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Div A: Beasts of Bembridge (NUR, Janek) 1 - 0 Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants)
    The match begins with Anupshi Rises receiving, pushing up their right field and easing the Beasts of Bembridge away from the side line. The pressure proves too much though, squeezing the offence against the edge of the pitch, and the slippery Thro-Ras withdraw to quickly slip towards the left flank. With a reduced cage the ball carrier is blitzed and recovers, but the ball comes loose a second time as the Khemri make another push. With little lime left in the half an elf-ball pass to a skeleton is attempted with predictable results, the ball landing at the thrower's feet. As the Beasts close in the Thro-Ra dashes up field for a futile pass forward to get the ball into safety, fumbling again and allowing the Nurgle team to play a superb run and pass which falls short of glory only when a Pestigor fails a Go For It on the touchline. Before he can recover to score, the half time whistle blows.

The second half starts with a strong Beast cage assaulting the centre of the Khemri defence, the Beast of Nurgle injuring a Tomb Guardian in the process. The offence piles right for a strong drive down the edge of the field, but the ball carrier is blitzed by a loose Tomb Guardian who has worked around behind, slowing the attack to a brawl. This saps away the time before the Beasts recover the ball once more and break free of the melee. The defence looks like it may rally in time, but the marking Tomb Guardian is killed by a Warrior leaving only a lone Thro-Ra to try to stop the ball carrier. As his team mates teach the Khemri last man a lesson in when to use discretion, the Pestigor runs in an uncontested touchdown. With mere seconds left on the clock both teams cut their losses and step back for a brutal Beasts of Bembridge victory.

Network Hub
    Just had my game vs 20phoenix Cyanide out on turn 15. It was 4-0 and was either going 4-1 or 5-0 as I was about to throw a goblin. Can we have it reset if necessary? We're going to try again another night. Would be a bummer for him to have to lose all the SPP he gained.

My plucky rats have been sent back to their sewers to collect themselves for another assault with various forms of weaponry. Hope they keep their chainsaw/bomb/ball and chain/troll fist proof armour second time round :)

@ DW & 20p - the result doesn't seem to have been saved, nothing to reset...
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Hey, Both of Div B's first round games are done, and it would be great if I could get my second round game done this afternoon. Could a benevolent Admin roll Div B on? Can any admin do it, or just the Div B admin (which I think is Groovy?)?

Magnates (Jim, lizards) v Rok-Ard Nobz (Grinn, orcs)

The entirity of the game was played in Sweltering Heat, which rolls to knock out random players at the start of every drive. So we were already at the mercy of nuffle every time somebody scored. Two moments defined it decisively in favour of the magnates.

First, with me on a bit of the back foot having received the ball first. I'd committed heavily to one side and I was trying desperately to surf the couple of orcs I'd trapped near the sidelines. A krox bonehead suddenly made that very difficult, and I decided to try something risky, a -2 dice block with a skink. If successful, it'd surf a black orc. I had a reroll and wrestle but still, risky. Anyway the dice came up pow and powpush, the blorc was surfed, badly hurt, and I was able to surf another few players over the next few turns. By the end of the first half, Grinn was down to around about seven players, with three injured, and that skinkpush was the catalyst for it. I've never actually used crowdsurfing that effectively before.

Then at the start of the second half, as the orcs lined up with low numbers to receive themselves, I rolled a blitz. Skinks flooded through their thin lines, caught the ball and ran in another touchdown, 2-0 with not much hope of recovery at that point. Grinn fought hard, scored a consolation and some bad positioning on my behalf gave him a semi-opening on turn 15 but I was able to slam it shut and score another.

3-1 to the Magnates, our unbeaten streak continues to grow, now at 11 games.

Agathis Avengers (Wood Elf - AgP) vs. Dead Comic Society (Khemri - me)

0 - 2

To cut a long story short AgP got screwed at every turn by injury rolls, all told the Comics handed out 9 KOs and 5 injuries. The Avengers did manage to KO 2 Tomb Guardians, one of them spent virtually the entire match sleeping at the side and collected the match MVP for his amazing contribution to the team.

The Comics went 1-0 up just before halftime, though thanks to some silly blocking before moving players it required a lot of GFIs and luck to move the slowass Thro-Ra up before the whistle. The second half started with a Blitz, allowing the Comics to place players around where the ball was going to end but the Avengers did manage to snaffle the ball and almost got their carrier out of harms way. But a couple of Skeletons were just in range and the ridiculous block dice luck of the Comics gave them a pow and a KO. The Comics recovered the ball and ground their way up the field, with the number of KOs and injuries being handed out the Avengers lacked bodies to stop and the second TD to finish the match was fairly easily walked in.

Utterly utterly brutal. AgP barely had players on the field at various points only having 5 Elves against 10 Khemri and the block dice just kept favouring me by handing out Pows all over the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigible Snoozer View Post
    Hey, Both of Div B's first round games are done, and it would be great if I could get my second round game done this afternoon. Could a benevolent Admin roll Div B on? Can any admin do it, or just the Div B admin (which I think is Groovy?)?
    Any admin could do it (we are all delegated permissions on each others divisions). I'm away from my games PC so I can't do it at the moment :(
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Played chadsexington tonight, 2-0 for his Norse. Could we get a validation please?

Played the first match of division 'L' (Company 'L'? But they smell!).

I've been having terrible diceluck this past week, and every time I try to convince myself its in my head and go out and try again with a fresh outlook nuffle reminds me that its not going to work. Last game I played I lost due to a TREEMAN intercepting a sure TD pass.

But I digress, I came in again with a fresh outlook.

We lined up and I elected to receive. I had plans for my yeti smashing a nearby blackorc with claw, hoping to knock him out early.

Kickoff rolls Pitch Invasion and both teams get an equal score. My entire front line goes down while none of Squirrel's are touched. I feel the dice turning once again.

I cage the ball and fumble it, with reroll. Some positioning occurs and I move the cage up past centrefield. I use my second reroll avoiding skulls, but I manage to crowdsurf someone in the process. I attempt to use frenzy to setup a multiple player crowdsurf attempt, but i'm so focused on the shitty dice I assume I'm going to have I screw it up rather badly and leave them unable to be crowdsurfed - just knocked down.

Third turn starts and I see the opportunity to crowdsurf TWO players this round - one of them a blackorc.

For some reason I move my yeti first. Never do that. He pushes on his first roll, doubleskulls and loners away his reroll.

Some more mashing occurs and I get the better of it and am able to form a loose cage and continue pushing downwards, skipping the GFI TD on turn 7 because I have no rerolls and I'm damned if I'm going to let nuffle take this from me.

Squirrel pushes several of his players around to hit the ends of my forward cage and charges his L4 blitzer up to make the tackle, but unfortunately fails the second GFI, giving me a quick Turn 8 TD.

Second half

I reform everyone on the line, putting my yeti front and centre, hoping the extra AV will keep him safe.

Squirrel jams everyone around him, knocks him down, and fouls him, breaking his neck. Oops. AG zero anyone?

Again the mashing ensues, and I see another crowdsurf opportunity and push my ST1 'zerker to throw him out. I notice the mistake I've made as the Troll is but two squares away from pushing the offending zerker out of bounds as well. For some reason, he chooses to surf the runner beside him instead.

I crash the cage, marking the ball carrier and making a general nuisance of myself. Some clutch dodges moves my berzerker away from the troll and far upfield.

Squirrel manages to extract his ballcarrier, but fails to protect him and he gets knocked down by the aforementioned berzerker. Two clutch dodges and a pickup within tacklezones later, the magic orc 'Heliocentric' has picked up the ball and ran downfield. It is tragically shortlived, however, as he is quickly marked and knocked down. Squirrel fails the GFI necessary to mark the ball, which is easily picked up and then run into the endzone two turns later.

GG

2-0 Norwegian Fancy Nancies.

Nice writeup, it just wasn't a good game. There seems to be something that I am missing, constantly, about the game. I mean, I had the skill advantage and even more strength on the field and still manage to throw it all away. Somehow I make vital mistakes in my positioning, my guys are always a) on their own or b) not able to play to their strength, because they are marked and loose their assists.

There are of course some resources out there that help you with tips and advice. I've read playbooks, I watched plays on FUMBBLE and on youtube, I listened to podcasts on the matter, and still I am not getting better. This game sometimes feels like work to me. I just don't seem to get it.

That crowdsurf of me is a perfect example - I could have pushed a much more valuable piece off the pitch. But I chose a Linemen or whatnot. Even with 4min turns I quickly loose track of the overall play.

Argh.

/rant

Edit: Sorry chad, this isn't your fault. You just played way better than me. Still need to take defeats more relaxed and sportsmanlike.
    Last edited by Squiz; 08-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Nice writeup, it just wasn't a good game. There seems to be something that I am missing, constantly, about the game. I mean, I had the skill advantage and even more strength on the field and still manage to throw it all away. Somehow I make vital mistakes in my positioning, my guys are always a) on their own or b) not able to play to their strength, because they are marked and loose their assists.
    If you specifically think that it is positioning that's letting you down then think about taking Guard when you Black Orcs and Blitzers level. Lots and lots of Guard. Guard allows you to cover up a multitude of sins when it comes to positional play.