View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

    12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

    9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

    20 48.78%
Page 338 of 415 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 8290
  1. #6741
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England and Nowhere
    Posts
    1,235
    Championship - Rejected RPG Stats (Nur - laneford) 2 - 0 Rok Ard Nobz (Orc - grinn)

    Match report to follow, but needless to say it was bloody stuff out there. My claw edged the day in the injury count, and grinns orcs seemed determined to fail all easy dodges and gfis (but make the tricky ones) in an attritional victory for the nurglers.

    The championship can be moved on to week 2 now, where it appears I am up against the ridiculelves. :|

  2. #6742
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    I think pro's better than block for big guys. It's only a slightly worse chance of a turnover on a block (~18% without anything, ~10% with pro, ~6% with block), and you get to reroll really stupid without wasting a TRR. Of course, it doesn't help if he gets blocked himself...
    For a road block like the beast, block is good. It's important to keep him upright and he's often most useful when he's just standing still.

  3. #6743
    Activated Node smaug81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cubo View Post
    For a road block like the beast, block is good. It's important to keep him upright and he's often most useful when he's just standing still.
    Exactly my thinking. His job is to stand around being incredibly inconvenient. The more he stays upright, the more use I get out of tentacles and, eventually, guard. Being able to reroll RS is handy, certainly, but ideally he shouldn't often need to do much more than stand where I put him.

  4. #6744
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    Norse don't really suffer from a lot of TV bloat as their players are pretty inexpensive to begin with.
    The minimum viable long term Norse roster has a very high base cost for a non-finesse team (1300), and every single bit of TV has to pull its weight for the team to survive in a developed competition. Norse linemen are cheap but the positionals are not while the AV7 basher style dictates that lino value has to be cashed in in the form of bench depth. Once you are coming up against mighty blow on a regular basis you need 14 as a minimum, with MNGs probably meaning you routinely carry 15/16 players. Throw in the immense value of babes in a Norse match and youíve got a team in desperate need of sharp TV management. There is a reason a small section of Norse coaches keep saying things like never take Throwers as they are TV bloat you canít afford.

  5. #6745
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by chadsexington View Post
    Really, you'd pass up a strength increase?
    Trawl the internet and youíll find the overwhelming majority will be in full agreement with you and the folk who commented above. However youíll also find the overwhelming majority tell you Norse are not a viable team once you reach mid-TV and certainly canít survive in high-TV environments. This is demonstrably false. BB groupthink is pretty stupid in general but where Norse are concerned it is positively imbecilic.

    Norse are average in all areas bar below average armour. They have one edge; a head-start in bash development. They need to maintain this edge if they want to achieve more than bully rookie teams before retiring. Every skill needs to be focussed. A lino has no strength access so will never be more than a support player without a remarkably lucky set of skill rolls. Guard makes him immensely useful, dramatically increasing the potential of your strength access players and the dauntless Runners. +ST really doesnít bring anything to the table.

  6. #6746
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    The minimum viable long term Norse roster has a very high base cost for a non-finesse team (1300), and every single bit of TV has to pull its weight for the team to survive in a developed competition. Norse linemen are cheap but the positionals are not while the AV7 basher style dictates that lino value has to be cashed in in the form of bench depth. Once you are coming up against mighty blow on a regular basis you need 14 as a minimum, with MNGs probably meaning you routinely carry 15/16 players. Throw in the immense value of babes in a Norse match and you’ve got a team in desperate need of sharp TV management. There is a reason a small section of Norse coaches keep saying things like never take Throwers as they are TV bloat you can’t afford.
    I love your posts Zoraster.

    You either know a fuck of a lot about Blood Bowl, or you are a bullshitter of the very first rank (that is a compliment!). Either way it's brilliant. More please.

  7. #6747
    Lesser Hivemind Node NieA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    917
    I like to picture Zoraster as a mustachioed professor lecturing a load of slack-jawed students. They may not agree with him now, but deep down they all suspect they'll be better for having listened.

    Actually I recently got a double 6 on a zombie for my Necro team. While concerned about my TV (which is insanely high, I've given away inducements in my last two matches despite being a lvl 4 wolf down in each) a St4 zombie just felt like a better bet than a guard zombie, though mainly because being so slow and unagile it's much easier to man-mark with them than move them around for support.

  8. #6748
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    561
    I now have exactly 1,000,000 GPs in the bank. Ridiculous.

  9. #6749
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I love your posts Zoraster.

    You either know a fuck of a lot about Blood Bowl, or you are a bullshitter of the very first rank (that is a compliment!). Either way it's brilliant. More please.
    Well speaking from a good few seasons of experience, he either knows a metric fuckton about Blood Bowl or he's very, very, very lucky. William of Ockham says he's got the knowing of things.

  10. #6750
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    I am going to play my remaining matches... Getting wrestle on a zombie reminded me why i wanted to play them in the first place, maybe I can still make good on this.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  11. #6751
    Network Hub potatoedoughnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    США (GMT-7)
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I like to picture Zoraster as a mustachioed professor lecturing a load of slack-jawed students. They may not agree with him now, but deep down they all suspect they'll be better for having listened.

    Actually I recently got a double 6 on a zombie for my Necro team. While concerned about my TV (which is insanely high, I've given away inducements in my last two matches despite being a lvl 4 wolf down in each) a St4 zombie just felt like a better bet than a guard zombie, though mainly because being so slow and unagile it's much easier to man-mark with them than move them around for support.
    I guess now it's my turn to step in and say I would pass up a +STR on a zombie in favour of guard. Necros don't have a lot of STR access and getting guard on 1 or 2 zombies makes a huge difference. Str on a zombie just turns them into a FG replacement that can't get guard or MB without doubles. No block means they are a TO waiting to happen and no guard or stand firm means they're not all that annoying. They're also too slow to blitz with and/or follow up with frenzy.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

    Steam = potatoedoughnut

    [RPS] Clone High

  12. #6752
    Lesser Hivemind Node NieA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    I guess now it's my turn to step in and say I would pass up a +STR on a zombie in favour of guard. Necros don't have a lot of STR access and getting guard on 1 or 2 zombies makes a huge difference. Str on a zombie just turns them into a FG replacement that can't get guard or MB without doubles. No block means they are a TO waiting to happen and no guard or stand firm means they're not all that annoying. They're also too slow to blitz with and/or follow up with frenzy.
    I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him). After all chances are you'll only have 3 or 4 zombies on the pitch at any given time, and a zombie with only guard (this was the first skill) is a zombie spending most of its time flat on its ass. Of course that said you've been much more successful with Necro than I have, if I'm wrong I'll just fire the git.

  13. #6753
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    266
    Stand firm on a zombie, hmm? A miniature flesh golem!

  14. #6754
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,438
    Inspired by this, I just sacked a player and rebought a rookie, just so my TV will only exceed my opponent's by £90k instead of £120k.

    Having done that I feel like I already deserve a win.

  15. #6755
    Network Hub potatoedoughnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    США (GMT-7)
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him). After all chances are you'll only have 3 or 4 zombies on the pitch at any given time, and a zombie with only guard (this was the first skill) is a zombie spending most of its time flat on its ass. Of course that said you've been much more successful with Necro than I have, if I'm wrong I'll just fire the git.
    Str 4 zombie is still good, I just think guard is a better use of TV (70 instead of 90). I'd rather have block+guard than just str4 for 90TV, but both are valid.

    +STR helps them stay on their feet, but in general I don't really care if they stay on their feet or get knocked down, either way the player they're marking isn't doing anything else. And if their mark is agile str4 won't stop them just dodging away.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

    Steam = potatoedoughnut

    [RPS] Clone High

  16. #6756
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    Str 4 zombie
    Double on a zombie ->jump up->better marking
    Follow up with wrestle on a regular up later.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  17. #6757
    hey guys thought I should mention pester johns computer has broke so cant play our week one match :( hes on holiday at the moment so he may not have had chance to speak to an admin.
    Where you can find some of my mischief: http://karandraz.wordpress.com/

  18. #6758
    Network Hub boots468's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him).
    Having just lost to NieA7 (damn that final turn touchdown :-) ) with my Lizards, I found that ST4 zombie much harder to deal with than a guard one would have been. It tied up a guard block saurus for most of the game, whereas I'd have happily pushed around a guard one. As I was in the irritating position of having 90 less tv, him having guard instead wouldn't have changed anything there either.

    (And as there were 0 KO's all game, the babe was even more useless than usual ...)

  19. #6759
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,430
    So it seems as if Day 1 has ended yesterday. How is the situation with the extensions? I know that Graever and Patser would like a few days extra, what about the other divisions with unplayed games?.
    Last edited by Squiz; 21-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Forum janitor in training.

  20. #6760
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    216
    The gentlemanly Mrpier already requested an extension earlier in this thread, but to emphasize:

    DivD needs an extension to tonight for me and mrpier to get our game in.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •