View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 411 of 415 FirstFirst ... 311361401409410411412413 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,220 of 8290
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm pretty sure they dont work together sadly

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    Try it in single player and find out. I'm not sure what the rules say (if anything), but in unusual situations such as this, you can't guarantee what Cyanide is going to do anyway. Unless someone else already knows for sure?
    As per my other thread, I mentioned I chose "jump up" with my bomber gobbo as Cyanide lets you throw the bomb after you use jump up.

While googling to see if said combo would work, I found that apparently thats not part of the original rules and shouldn't work, but cyanide.

So, test it yourself I guess

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Seemingly they are complemtary in that PT is always on and DT can be turned on when needed. But they don't stack.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Re-applied to DivD!
    Last edited by karandraz; 14-12-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Where you can find some of my mischief: http://karandraz.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Suggestion

I think we should have one round of games per week. I really like the league, but it is a bit too slow. I play one game on average a fortnight, 15 games since I started in June, and it's too long a time to really get the feel of your team.
    As someone with a job and a family, I disagree. With the differences in availability and time zones it would mean you would get one run at any particular day and if that's the only compatible one and you miss it, you suffer. That puts people with less time to play the game (like me) at a disadvantage which would be compounded by having even fewer games played. You're right about it taking a long time to develop your team, but at least everyone is on an even footing. There are other leagues to fill the gaps inbetween if you need more Blood Bowl. Not that I'm trying to argue you down necessarily, I can see how it can feel slow to someone who plays a lot, but since there are usually half a dozen or so people who struggle to make any given deadline I can see a reduction in round times only causing more defaults and, ultimately, fewer teams.

I'd prefer it if we moved to a weekly schedule both for simplicity and moar BB, though I'm not sure it's worth the risk of losing some of the coaches currently taking part. One of the best things about the Divs is the large number of people coupled with the short seasons, fewer people playing would undermine that a bit.

Perhaps we could manage by exception a bit more - put everyone on a Monday-Sunday rota but allow a day or two's leeway (without automatically changing the next days deadline) for specific Divs where it'll allow a game to be played. That'd be more effort for our glorious admins to take care of though so it'd be up to them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Personally I'd like to try a schedule where we run the same ten-day 'weeks' but exceptions are only made in genuinely unusual circumstances. Too many times I've seen people requesting extensions because neither of them tried to arrange their match until a week had already gone past. I'm sorry to be grumpy about it, but that's basically saying "everyone else's time isn't important to me".
    Ten day schedules that actually take ten days would be an improvement over what we have now. Let's try them for a season and see what people think afterwards. I don't want to lose players because I am being a schedule nazi; I also don't want to lose players because it's taking too long between games.

Other things we can try before moving to a week-long week:

There's a ten day week but everyone tries to get their games done before that, and if they're all done we move forwards early;
    That crazy thing Jolima does in the Open where one week takes less time than the next week - I've never entirely grasped it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Helio - Out of 200+ coaches in the OCC Helio, pretty much all of them manage to arrange matches via the forums!

@Everyone who replied - I do see your points. I suppose one of the things to consider is that our 3 game seasons put a lot of pressure on the admin team because the divisions change so often. If we ran 9 game seasons then there would be 1/3 the admin work and 1/3 the downtime between seasons. I'm not proposing to change the structure here, though!

For what it's worth, I agree with PW's suggestion about enforcing the existing structure more firmly.

Short seasons are part of the flavour of the Divs, I'd rather not change that. I wonder if there's enough appetite for a fourth RPS league, somewhere between the Open and the Divs in length. It'd be fun, although I suspect that there won't be enough people with the time for it to really fill out.

Could always have another knockout cup, last one was well over a year ago now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Diving Tackle and Prehensile Tail should both work and stack together AFAIK.

So massive pain to dodge past would be Tackle, Diving Tackle, Shadowing and Prehensile Tail, which I now want to try on one of my new chaos-beasts, throw in blodge, or block/stand firm for maximum elf annoyance factor.

As for shorter week, I'll just agree with PW there.

Edit: A cup would be welcome, though I don't think I could participate until February at the earliest.
    Last edited by mrpier; 14-12-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    FYI Shadowing and Diving Tackle are not functioning correctly right now ingame. Shadowing is being checked before DT (which is backwards according to the CRP) so if you mostly succeed at Shadowing, you'll rarely ever see a DT prompt.

On the DoD structure - generally agreed with PW's account. I have voiced my frustration with how slow the DoD seems to move in the past, but at the same time I can just about fit in my BB commitments in the allotted time as it is. The short season commitments are the attraction of the DoD and I think part of why we can sustain large numbers there, so I would not want to see that changed.

I feel like where the DoD drags, is between seasons, and we should aim to make that transition more efficient in order to increase our frequency of games.

(Another cup would be awesome. The cup is what brought me to start posting in this forum in the first place!)

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I feel like where the DoD drags, is between seasons, and we should aim to make that transition more efficient in order to increase our frequency of games.
    Hey, I am herding these cats as fast as I can!
    Today (this evening, UK-o-time) is the deadline for the stragglers to get their applications in or spend a season in exile. Groovy may need to promote a couple of people, but the aim is to have every division running by Saturday.
    The downtime is unfortunately unavoidable, especially with the Cyanide game being less than perfect - we've seen at least one person this season making an application and thinking everything is fine, and only realising later that the game didn't register it because cyanide.

If you want a cup, feel free to organise it. Be the change you want to see, and all that. If you build it, they will come.
    I'll be more than happy to help with the admin of a hypothetical cup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Helio - Out of 200+ coaches in the OCC Helio, pretty much all of them manage to arrange matches via the forums!
    I didn't say it was bad, I said it was bad for me in my circumstances.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I also agree with Weasel.

In theory, sticking strictly to the 10 day period would also let people start arranging their next games before the current 10 day cycle is up, which you can't currently do because you don't know when it'll end, but even without that I think it's fair to start defaulting games at the 10 day mark if people haven't started organising them until a week in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Hey, I am herding these cats as fast as I can!
    Today (this evening, UK-o-time) is the deadline for the stragglers to get their applications in or spend a season in exile. Groovy may need to promote a couple of people, but the aim is to have every division running by Saturday.
    The downtime is unfortunately unavoidable, especially with the Cyanide game being less than perfect - we've seen at least one person this season making an application and thinking everything is fine, and only realising later that the game didn't register it because cyanide.
    I did not mean to impune your efforts, PW! This season break's certainly gone a lot swifter than most.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    If you want a cup, feel free to organise it. Be the change you want to see, and all that. If you build it, they will come.
    I'll be more than happy to help with the admin of a hypothetical cup.
    Well I definitely have a 4th stunty season planned first, but if that ends up being the final season and no one's done a cup by that point I'd be happy to organise one. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Dog Pants is right too, a week might be fine for some people but it'll cause problems for others, and (at least for me) part of the point of the DoD is that they're the absurdly gigantic league for everyone, so I'm very against something that'll drive people away. I mean, if you want to play more Blood Bowl then there are plenty of other options, y'know?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Suggestion

I think we should have one round of games per week. I really like the league, but it is a bit too slow. I play one game on average a fortnight, 15 games since I started in June, and it's too long a time to really get the feel of your team.

I do not think that 90 minutes a week would be a particularly huge commitment to ask from people, and if we said (for example) that a round of games started on a monday, every week, there would be no need to warn people for not playing games. Your match is not done by Sunday night, you default, simple.

It would allow people a regular schedule of games, and starting the gameweek on the same day of the week would help people remember to play.

The problem with the Divisions is that we get 3 games over about 4 or 5 weeks, then 2 weeks off as we try to herd the cats for the new season. 1/3 of our time is spent in admin mode for the new season. If we said that we had 3 rounds of games over 3 weeks, then the draw on Tuesday or Wednesday, then you have until Saturday without fail to apply for the new league, we could get a much tighter and faster experience for everyone.

Only a suggestion, but there it is.
    Several points:

A) If playing a game of Cyanide blood bowl could be reliably done in 90mins then I would be ecstatic. But 2 hours is a much more likely time. You have to factor in "pissing around trying to get the fucking game to connect" time and "opponents turning up 10 mins late" time etc.
    2) Transatlantic time differences mean that USA vs EUR games often can only be played on the weekend, due to the 10 day days that often gives two weekends as a target. With one week days then that would only give a two day window of opportunity and many more games would be defaulted.
    Gamma) Similarly Due to clashing work schedules, especially people on shift work, many 2-person combinations are simply not as easy to get hooked up for a game as you might think. the 10 day window allows much more chance for competing work schedules to de-phase and open up a window of opportunity.

For me 10 days is the perfect length of time. Enough flexibility but still frequent enough.

EDIT: But Acid Brick time for people who ask for extensions though.
    Last edited by Alistair Hutton; 14-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    thekev506 has posted the following on the Division I subforum:

"Can't seem to find division I on BB to join it - no matter what I search by divisions G-J are missing."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Hmm, I applied to Div J without problems at least.

They always show up fine for me if I type "RPS Div"

Kev, if you want to pm me your username and password by this evening I'll see if I can log in as you and apply.
    Otherwise we'll need to get someone else in, in order to get the Divisions going.