View Poll Results: What should the new look divisions look like?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change! I fear change!

12 29.27%
  • Triplets! I love triplets!

9 21.95%
  • GC's lovely 1-2-quad based tier system. It's clearly the best!

20 48.78%
Page 68 of 415 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 8290
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Well, firstly not every opponent rolled a surprising number of +MV rolls last time and secondly I can recall at least two occasions you did manage to chase down the runner and get a block on him. One was a push, and the other was a knockdown and you managed to get the ball, although you were horribly outnumbered by then and got pummelled next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    The problem with a Tomb Guardian is when it goes down, it goes down hard. Twice the chance of that oh-so-expensive career ender.
    Indeed, in fact my first level 2 TG died :(

Wrapped up my final game with Duff's dark elves. Quite easily the most tactical game I've played yet, with Duff running an excellent cage defence all game, meaning my dwarfs could only hit the pointy-eared ones with blitzes or if a turnover happened due to a failed 2+ dodge. First half was a slow roll to the line with only one occasion where the elves threatened to break the cage. My runner eventually crossed on the final turn, leaving no opportunity for the rookie elves to get a response.

Second half, some careful positioning and blitzing opened an early opportunity for the 5 AG blitzer. He then failed his initial dodge costing a precious re-roll and then decided to fall over on a GFI. What's more, the ball went into touch and came back 2 squares from my runner, which was very nice of Nuffle. Forming a cage, my dwarfs once again rolled ponderously towards the line and, despite Duff's best efforts, finally ran over for the second TD. This left the elves with, once more, a single turn to score which wasn't going to happen with their personnel.

And so the game ended, 2-0 to my doughty dwarfs and my 2nd division win (yay!). Great game Duff, some more levelling on your youngsters and there could've been a very different outcome.

2-2 vs Xercies. He had some skinks stunty their way to success, and a whole lot of KOs despite my av8 vs his av7 (what? punch a saurus? those things are hard!). I also had some bullshit elf plays work out after a couple of turns of disaster.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Damn a draw, but I am happy with what my lizards have done this season. It was close who would win the match I did have to say. Also who knew that sauruses could dodge and pick up the ball.

maybe it was two skinks in a big blue coat and hat? That's actually more likely than a saurus dodging and picking up the ball.

Few results validated.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Just played my final game of the season, my humies versus Potatoedoughnut's necromantics, needing a win to even have a chance of promotion (or even staying up, possibly). And got... a loss, locking me in the demotion spot. My dice in the first 4 turns were pretty dire. After receiving, i had 4 instant turnovers in a row, having burnt all my rerolls trying to prevent these, leaving me on turn 5 with 9 players on the pitch, all stunned, potatoe's ghoul standing on my try-line and my players all on the half-way. Dire, really. I just hit end turn a couple of times as there was nothing I could do. Potatoe had time to run a flesh golem down there, make a hand-off and use him to score the TD, turn 7. He kindly didn't jump up and down on my players whilst they had their rest ;-).

The second half was more even, potatoe receiving, i made it hard, getting into the cage and locking up the pitch until I got the classic double skulls on the ball carrier with my ogre (after an attempted blitz with a blitzer had ended in a push) and a loner fail. This left potatoe with a handoff to his ag4 ghoul, who ran down to the line. A 2 dice against blitz by a catcher was a push, and although i got another player back, it was still a simple 2+ for the touchdown.

I then received, bashed a hole using my ogre as a blitzer (injuring a flesh golem!), threw the catchers deep behind the line, picked up the ball and rumbled up the pitch. Injuries were starting to be scored, all potatoe's regen rolls failed (his main bit of bad luck today) leaving him 4 men down. Eventually, i handed off to a blitzer for my consolation TD, turn 16.

Lots of SPPs from bashing, but still no levels (no levels received at all this season!). I lost one newbie catcher, killed by potatoe, but no great loss as I'm sitting on 220k in cash now so can afford new players :-). Bit fed up with this season in general though, my dice haven't been too bad on the whole, but have really let me down at key points during all 3 games (particularly when using my ogre, who has been generally hopeless, i dont know why i ever put break tackle on him, its failed more times that it's worked so far...:-S). I need to somehow play without making any dice rolls at all. I will spend the time between now and next season figuring out that strategy :-D.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

GC and I played our day 3 match in Div 2, his humans vs my necros.

Last time we met we had a great very evenly matched game. Despite a good setup for another good game (TV still very close) this time things were a little....different.

GC won the toss and elected to receive, caged the ball, and hit some stuff resulting in a BH & KO zombie. This is about where things stopped going well for GC. Things started off with GC's sidestep catcher picking up a niggling injury. Then over the next several turns the first roll of the turn was promptly failed which let the undeads swarm the cage and pop the ball out. GC spent most of the rest of the half on the ground while the ball was given to a Flesh Golem for some much needed SPP.

One turn before the half just had some no consequence blocking. At halftime the necros were up 1-0 and receiving. All the KO players came back for both of us (2 each I think).

Nuffle teased a dice comeback with a blitz result on the kickoff, but the kick was into GC's own half so he just blitzed a wolf. There were a couple "normal" turns with the necros pushing a cage up and the humans doing a pretty good job of knocking all the undead down and putting pressure on the cage. They even managed to BH the blodge guard ghoul. About turn 13 a wight blitzed a hole in the middle of the field and a pair of wights and a ghoul made a break up the middle.

At this point nuffle decided to switch back GCs dice and he just rolled pushes on the blitz and got double skulls on his ogre (w/ a loner fail). The necros managed to free the ball and injure a blitzer (-1MV apo'd to just walk it off) before scoring.

Two - nil to the necros with ~3 turns for a consolation. GC caged the ball in his backfield and ran his catchers into position to score. The necros marked up the scoring threats and did what blocking they could. On their turn the humans managed to MNG a flesh golem (!) and a zombie and a warewolf replied by killing a rookie catcher.

On turn 16 GC managed to block a blitzer free then make a handoff and GFI for a consolation touchdown.

Final 2-1 to the necros.

I was a bit disappointed the dice went to poorly for GC. There were some times where some simple 2+ or 3+ with reroll rolls would have put him back in the game, but the dice just didn't let it happen. Sorry about the dice this game GC, I will continue to look forward to the next time our teams meet.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

So, I am now working on the creation of my team. I've already got the name for my team and some of those for my players. How do you handle differences in TV? I am not very keen on going against teams with a TV considerably higher than mine, to be honest. Is there a general baseline or do you allow teams to gain some experience before they join a Division?

By the way, I wonder if there is a way to have a look at other players' rosters in a given league.

Edit: Ok, the spreadsheet tells me that additional games might be allowed in some situations.
    Last edited by Squiz; 15-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    My dwarfs secured their promotion to the championship yesterday, with a typical grindy 1-0 victory over Hughtowers woodelves.

First half I decided to kick, once again going for the 2-1 grind. I got a blitz as a kick-off result, but being dwarves there's not much you can do with that unless the ball falls right in front of your men, a blitz on a wardancer just resulted in a pushback. Hughtower suffered a couple of turnovers early, allowing me to be a bit more aggressive than usual, marking several of his elves. Around turn 4 Hughtower saw a weak spot in the middle of my defense and sent a wardancer with the ball through together with a couple of elves as support. He didn't get far enough away fortunately and after a blitz and use of my wizard, the wardancer was down and the ball was free, with several dwarf tackle zones on it. I picked it up next turn and started a cage-grind down the left side of the field. Hughtower played a heroic defense however, losing some of his elves to KO/BH, but I never got the opening I needed to score in the last few turns.

Second half I set up with the deathroller opposite his fearsome treeman, kickoff-result was perfect defense and he got to setup again removing those juicy elf-targets from harms way. I started an eight turn drive up the left side again, dishing out some BH's on the way and crowdsuring two of his linemen, one of which got his third niggling injury. Not much happened until turn 6(?) when he got a one-dice blitz on my ballcarrier with his strip-ball wardancer, downing him in the process and picking up the ball. Next turn I blitzed her away and the ball fell to one of my blitzers, but I was running out of time and not in range of the endzone yet. Some more blocking and I had one last chance to score on my turn eight, blitz away an elf who was marking my only chance of scoring, a blocker, dodge my downed 4AG runner away, pick up the ball, handoff to the blocker and do two GFI's with him. And it worked! 1-0 to Longus Barba.

Thanks for the game Hughtower, you played a very annoying (and good) defense. :-)
    Last edited by mrpier; 15-09-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    How do you handle differences in TV? I am not very keen on going against teams with a TV considerably higher than mine, to be honest.
    I used to be the same, very much. However, your team will rise and drop based on its performance against other teams. If you constantly beat everyone regardless of their TV, you'll face tougher and tougher opponents (unless they're coming out of a dwarf-killing-spree). If you lose against lower TV teams, you'll find yourself being the high TV team others have to beat.

Inducements actually go a long way to balance things, something I didn't initially believe before winning my first 400k+ game thanks to a lovely Star player and a couple of Babes.

Don't worry about TV. Your team will face what it deserves to face. And dwarfs.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Admins - I'll be AFK from this friday to the 24/25th september, the 25th being more likely, I see the season ends the 21st, so I might not be able to apply for the new season as promptly as I like. I've also noticed it takes some time to get new divisions set up, so this might not be a big problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Admins - I'll be AFK from this friday to the 24/25th september, the 25th being more likely, I see the season ends the 21st, so I might not be able to apply for the new season as promptly as I like. I've also noticed it takes some time to get new divisions set up, so this might not be a big problem?
    PM me your login details and I'll be happy to enter your team into the correct division. I've got a pretty good history in this respect, having never deleted a single minotaur.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    So, I am now working on the creation of my team. I've already got the name for my team and some of those for my players. How do you handle differences in TV? I am not very keen on going against teams with a TV considerably higher than mine, to be honest. Is there a general baseline or do you allow teams to gain some experience before they join a Division?

By the way, I wonder if there is a way to have a look at other players' rosters in a given league.

Edit: Ok, the spreadsheet tells me that additional games might be allowed in some situations.
    You can look at other players' teams, I believe, by searching coach names in the community section of the Cyanide game.
    Generally, everyone enters the divisions with a 1000TV team. You enter the league at the bottom, with other new players and any players who are rerolling to a new team, so you are likely to be up against teams with similar team values. In the unlikely event that every other team in your starting division has a noticeably higher team value than you, you might be allowed a day to play a couple of matches to get your TV up - but that would be at the discretion of the league admin, and things move pretty fast around the start of the season as Groovy tries to herd all of the cats into the boxes.

You also get inducements from the game when you line up against teams with higher team values: petty cash to spend on such things as increased chance of waking up from KOs, an extra apoc or reroll for the match, a wizard, mercenary players or unique star players.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 15-09-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    PM me your login details and I'll be happy to enter your team into the correct division. I've got a pretty good history in this respect, having never deleted a single minotaur.
    I can confirm this. My Amazons have never lost a single minotaur due to President Weasel.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Alright, thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about tiny differences but I've seen what some teams can do with just a few skills ahead of their enemies. Most likely I won't encounter this situation anyways and if I do I'll see what the outcomes are.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Yeah, I might take you up on that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah TV is never really a problem a lot of times I have lost to the lower TV army because of inducements and because they were better at the army they had chosen.

@ Squirrel - smart use of inducement cash is a whole minigame in itself, with tactics and strategies you can use. Although as PW said above, we will *try* to ensure anyone entering a new team is not left too far behind in their first season. However herding cats into boxes can be a *very* demanding task, especially with people leaving and joining all the time and consequently the Divs frequently requiring last minute adjustments, so there's a slim chance you may be "stuck" with a vanilla 1k TV team. Having said that some of the starting teams have a good scattering of skills and can be very competitive from the start. Just had a quick look and I can't see your details on the Spreadsheet, so I'll just remind you what they say - "book early to avoid disappointment".

@ mrpier - as you observed, the Divs to tend to take a few days while the cat-boxing takes place. However we try to fill from the top down and since you've just been promoted to the Championship, you may want to use PW's "services" (no, not those services).

...on which subject, I've just realised I'm away from 22nd to 29th Sept (Marrakesh for a family wedding B) ), so I may also need to ensure my blackmail material on PW is up-to-date and ask him to sort my team out.
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

...by extension I'll not be around to approve requests to join the discussion group, which is the *only* place we admins check to see whose fault a defaulted match is.

Can anyone playing next season and NOT already in the group please apply ASAP.
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh