Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Network Hub
    The big thing that's keeping me from playing Arma with you guys is my general ineptitude at it. With Day Z I've learned a few things, and I've remembered a few things from my old days of the original OFP, but I still don't know jack-squat in the grand scheme. I'd love to get in on one of these informal training sessions, but being in the States, and working a job that's got non-standard hours and days off makes a lot of mass social stuff hard even when dealing with people locally, let alone halfway across the globe. I could show up for a Tactical Tuesday, because it does fall on one of my days off and is right around the time I'd be waking up(if I'm doing my math right it puts it at 1430 EDT), but I'd rather just skip out of it than show up and not know what I'm doing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Come to Tactical Tuesday. Ineptitude is encouraged.

Repeat after me:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Unruly, ineptitude is never, never a barrier in ARPS sessions. Anyway, if you've got ARMA 2 CO, you have the needed skills to play. Tactical Tuesday is immensly fun, and I'd highly reccomend coming along and playing with other ARMA LLARMAs.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

To unruly and others who are discouraged by feelings of ineptitude and stuff: please don't be.

You can join our Tuesday and Sunday sessions just fine without going through any training sessions and without knowing anything much about the game. Many people completely new to ARMA2 have done so and lived to tell about it, while having fun in the process. I wrote a bit about this shortly after starting to play in ARPS and Folk sessions, in the hopes of encouraging people just like you to join in on the fun. To quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by harakka
    You may also feel that your skill / experience level is not adequate, and fear that you can potentially ruin other peoples' fun by sucking at the game. Good news: that's not how it works. ArmA2 is not a frag contest, and we are not a serious group of milsimmers. This is not Serious Business. We don't expect you to make ArmA2 your second day job. We don't play to win, we play to have fun. And sometimes the best fun is to die horribly.
    The easiest way to learn the game is to play it with a welcoming bunch of people, such as us, and ask questions as you go along. This training session exists if you feel like you want to brush up on things, but please do not feel it is in any way necessary.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    This training session exists if you feel like you want to brush up on things, but please do not feel it is in any way necessary.
    This is very important to note, please don't feel like this session is at all needed for you to play with us, it's not. It's just a way of introducing new players to the way we play in a non-combat environment.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Network Hub
    It's not that I feel that the training is necessary, it's that I feel like I'm too dumb to be of much use other than as cannon fodder. And while I'm that way in Day Z for the most part, it's less of a barrier because I'm not looking at 20 minutes of running only to die to some invisible someone way off in the distance and wait another 20 minutes to respawn(how most of my old OFP online sessions went). I'll run for 20 minutes, die to someone I can't see, and then immediately respawn to do it over again. So it's not my being afraid of dragging you guys down, it's my being afraid of not having fun because my ineptitude gets me killed before any fun can actually happen.

I might try to hit this coming Tuesday's session, if I can drag my ass out of bed in time, but if my math was correct earlier and it's at 1430 EDT then it shouldn't really be too much of a problem. Will I have to sign up in advance or anything or is it a more casual "If you show up, you play" kind of thing?
    Last edited by unruly; 29-06-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: fixed formatting

Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    Will I have to sign up in advance or anything or is it a more casual "If you show up, you play" kind of thing?
    The ARPS and Folk sessions have always been an open invitation. There is no signup needed, and people won't hold it against you if you don't show up. They might whine about how much they'll miss dying with you, but don't let them get to you!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @unruly: just show up on time and play, nothing else. Don't worry about anything else, give it a try and see how it goes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    it's my being afraid of not having fun because my ineptitude gets me killed before any fun can actually happen.
    Bullshit deaths are part of the ARMA2 experience. But most of the time it isn't an invisible dude from 2k out that gets you, it's that dude from 50m to your left you failed to spot because of a lack of awareness. Anyway, 99% of the missions we play have an advanced spectator mode that allows you to watch the demise of your fellow comrades from above and laugh about them with the other dead people in the "dead people" mumble channel. And that by itself can be a ton of fun.

Bullshit deaths are part of the ARMA2 experience. But most of the time it isn't an invisible dude from 2k out that gets you, it's that dude from 50m to your left you failed to spot because of a lack of awareness.
    Indeed, 80% of my deaths are from a squad of previously unseen baddies who just walked over a small hill which was clear a minute ago.

Anyway, this session sounds like fun, looking forward to learning FTL tactics from the pros. I have played a lot of OFP and Arma1 back in the days, so I know my way around an AK, but as I never played online, I find it difficult to coordinate stuff with other players and fireteams.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post
    ...some stuff like "How do mortars work?"
    Simple, just tell me where you need exploderising.

Might also tun up for this because how can shoot gun

On the general topic, have we got a post anywhere about the new order of battle and how it'll be managed in regards to channels and who has CC on and whatnot?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    On the general topic, have we got a post anywhere about the new order of battle and how it'll be managed in regards to channels and who has CC on and whatnot?
    I think Nul said he's going to do a talk at some point at the beginning of a session about comms.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Finally i can learn how to play this game!

Quote Originally Posted by egg651 View Post
    Might also tun up for this because how can shoot gun
    I, too, just want to know how do pew pew.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    but I'd rather just skip out of it than show up and not know what I'm doing.
    First of all have a look at the threads about the admin stuff (where the server is etc) so you can get to the right place on time.

Second, join a fireteam and ask people about things. I won't be around this tuesday but i am sure plenty of people here will talk you through what is going on, just have a chat with them ingame after the mission has started.

Obscure Node
    On the subject of ineptitude (of which I have plenty), I've played one TT so far, and I reckon as long as you can do the following, you're good to go:

- get into mumble and listen
    - know how to talk on Arma group voice
    - unslot and slot at the beginning of a mission
    - follow your fireteam leader
    - die gloriously (or pathetically).

I managed all the above. Except for the gloriously bit.

strange

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    On the subject of ineptitude (of which I have plenty), I've played one TT so far, and I reckon as long as you can do the following, you're good to go:

- get into mumble and listen
    - know how to talk on Arma group voice
    - unslot and slot at the beginning of a mission
    - follow your fireteam leader
    - die gloriously (or pathetically).
    Pretty much, yes... this is all you need for ARPS/FOLK (for those who are still worried). Additionally, as well as knowing how to talk on group voice, Mumble/TS, and how to set up CC whispers (if you want any sort of command), you should also know when NOT to talk; during slotting, briefing, and when the CO is planning, delivering the plan. And also comms discipline in general... Channels, especially the command one, should be kept largely clear for important messages. A few other things that go along with our single rule (Don't be a d*ck) don't hurt... If your squad/fireteam is trying to be stealthy, don't fire your gun in the air. Don't jump in vehicles as soon as you see them. If you're AAR, keep your backpack etc until the AT/AR asks for extra ammo.

Learning things like tactics can't hurt at all, but the essentials for playing with us are more the little procedures and etiquette that we have. Someone should go over these essential things tonight... and I think there'll be a quick going over it for new people at the next TT session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I'm risking my life by posting these, but here are some screengrabs from the session: http://imgur.com/a/WRxwN