Connection Issues (ISP Troubles).

Ello :)

I've been having trouble with my ISP recently, when my router connects to the service, the speed I recieve seems rather random.

I usually recieve 8mbps (supposed to be 17 but that's another issue, heh), but if I reset my router (or it goes off in a powercut) nine out of ten times I recieve 2-4mbps, that will fluctuate each connection, until I finally get back a regular 8mbps (usually, after spending an hour attempting this today, I gave up).

Before I hurl myself at their abusive, contradictive, missunderstanding customer service department (three hours last time I had an issue with no solution, I'm not a fan of theirs, hehe), I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what could be causing the issues?

I'm guessing its their end (been having the issues since the company was taken over), I'm using a wired connection, no additional programs running in the backround, no other devices connected. Hopefully if its not something I can fix myself, the knowledge will allow me to get to a swift conclusion with them directly.

Thank you very much for your time.

(Also, completely unrelated, but I imagine anyone that can help with the above may know the answer, are devices using the same connection given their own IP addresses (or online identity of some other form), or is it purely based on the router? Cheers!)
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I can't really answer your first question without knowing the connection type. I'm assuming it's some sort of DSL connection which uses copper phone lines. In that case speed fluctuations could be due to any number of issues, like a noisy line, physical damage, or other devices on the same line causing interference. If it is a DSL connection the first thing to do is to disconnect everything but the modem and see if the connection exhibits the same problems. If it's fixed, something you've unplugged is causing the problem. If it isn't, then the modem, the line itself, or something else may be at fault.

If it isn't a DSL connection... can't help you because I can't guess :)

As for your second question - devices using the same connection do not get a separate internet IP address. The router gets an internet IP and is responsible for forwarding all traffic, which is why port forwarding is important; without it, the traffic goes to the router (the gateway between your internal network and the outside world) and if it doesn't know what to do with it, it effectively goes nowhere (well, it doesn't reach the intended destination at least). Each device on your home network gets its internal IP from the router but they all effectively "share" the IP address your ISP assigns to you.

Thank you for the reply soldant, I am indeed using an ADSL connection. The only device connected is my router (have a seperate phone line just for net access) and according to the phone line provider the line is clear of noise (can't say the same for damage, that seems to be one of the issues behind why I don't get the speed I should in the first place, proximity to a collection of damp most likely isn't helping).

The weird thing is, the speed change only happens on a new connection. If I get a decent connection, it will remain steady and uninterupted until the router is turned off and back on again.

That's certainly been helpful though, if only I could get someone to physically check the line, hehe (maybe when they install fiberoptic I'll get lucky).

With the second question, thanks ever so much - was just a personal question of mine rather than a problem, good to get a grasp on how it works.

Thank you again :)
    Last edited by Mbaya; 28-06-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    From having dealt with ADSL issues at home before, I believe the speed is only determined upon initial connection - the noise level is checked and the speed set to a level where it won't be adversely affected by the noise. If they claim there is no noise, they're lying - it's impossible to have no noise on a line! Your router should have a page where it lists things like Signal to Noise ratio (SNR), but I don't know enough about that to tell you what numbers to expect.

Network Hub
    I've had similar issues with ADSL. One time the issue was solved by the ISP (or maybe by the local utility who owns the infrastructure) making a repair on their side with no intervention from me. Another time they sent a tech to my apartment who verified that the noise on the line was unacceptably high and traced the issue to the connection between the central office and the local hub (or something like that).

I might recommend that you verify you have line filters on all the phone jacks on that line. If you use any splitters (to plug two phones into a single line, for example) make sure the phone filter is between the wall and the splitter. The phone filter must always be directly plugged into the wall and not further along the line.

As for IP addresses, every device is given its own unique IP. Your ISP is only aware of your router and doesn't know how many PCs are connected to it. Your router uses network address translation ("NAT") to assign internal IP addresses to your home computers (192.168.x.y) and acts as an intermediary between your home network and your ISP.

Your ISP essentially rents you an IP address. That address is assigned to your router via your modem. Your router identifies itself with a unique number called a Media Access Control number ("MAC") which your ISP associates with your router. So as far as your ISP is aware you have one IP address connected to one device. Unless they're doing something sneaky and fancy.

Time of day could also be another factor, as you will get a higher contention ratio hit on your bandwidth during peak times that will usually trail off during the later evening.

Knowing your area and ISP may help a bit, my brother's ADSL connection is very iffy, he only gets a fifth of my download rate at the best of time and sometimes it drops off completely, this is due to him living in the sticks and being a long way from the switchboard. I imagine if you get an 8meg connection then this is not your case, but the wiring in your house will probably make a difference, should you have original 1930's phone lines, or live in a poorly maintained tower block don't expect it to hit max speed.

Try reseting your router at 5am or some time no-one will be on, does it make a difference?

Once again, thanks everyone for takin the time to help and inform me, learned a lot.

I've managed to locate the SNR readings on my router so I'll be sure to keep an eye on that when my connection takes a dive. I use a filter for my connection (its also the only device plugged in at all, I don't use my landline for calls), but I'll see if I have a spare around the house, I'll give it a try incase this one is faulty.

As far as I've noticed, time doesn't seem to make any difference, whether its 3am, 8am, 4pm or 8pm...things seem very random, even in the space of a single minute.

At the very least, knowing the issues that could be behind this has made it a loss less infuriating and has given me a very solid ground to follow things up with the ISP and phone line provider to double check everything is in order.

Thanks everyone, if only their customer service was as helpful and insightful as you all are, hehe.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    I use a filter for my connection (its also the only device plugged in at all, I don't use my landline for calls)
    Just to be clear here, you're not using a filter on the jack connected to your modem, are you? You're supposed to put a filter on every phone jack on that line with a device plugged into it except for the modem. The modem must not have a filter on it.

Hmm, the cable going from the router to the phone socket is filtered (PC wired to router, router wired to filter, filter stuck in the phone socket).
    Last edited by Mbaya; 29-06-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Think I got the wrong end of the stick at first, hehe.

Out of interest have you tried using the test socket? And by that I mean when you take the face plate off the phone socket there is another phone socket inside. They usually ask you to try it when you phone them so may be worth getting it out of the way.

One thing soldant mentioned which I'm not sure you fully picked up on was turning everything off in the area - that means all electrical items (unplug them as well as some still draw power). Badly shielded electrics are notorious for interfering with broadband. Its why more peeps get speed issues at christmas due to the shoddy christmas lights they drape everywhere.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    Hmm, the cable going from the router to the phone socket is filtered (PC wired to router, router wired to filter, filter stuck in the phone socket).
    Errr do you have a combination router and modem? Routers don't plug into the phone socket.

If so, remove that filter! There should be no filter plugged into your modem. That would almost certainly be your problem.