Thread: 3ds xl

3ds xl

So ... anyone thinking of taking the plunge?

The improved design and larger screens both sit well with me, as do reports of improved 3D effects. The continued absence of a second circle pad strikes me as ridiculous tho, not for the usual reasons but because it cripples what would otherwise make an eminently practical 'second pad' for Wii U. Way to miss your own boat, Nintendo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    The continued absence of a second circle pad strikes me as ridiculous tho, not for the usual reasons but because it cripples what would otherwise make an eminently practical 'second pad' for Wii U. Way to miss your own boat, Nintendo.
    Yeah, that goes to show how hard Nintendo intend to double dip your pockets, I will keep an eye on sales for this for sure as i have never played Snake Eater, Super Mario 3D Land looks great as ever and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars looks like it might be a nice little advance wars clone, but *NOTHING ELSE* on the system is even slightly interesting, and I already own a DS which has literally dozens of great games.

If they bring out advance wars 3DS I would probably rush out and buy one I add.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I had a DS Lite that I loved to bits. Literally. It fell apart from overuse. I replaced it with a DSi XL and was absolutely thrilled with it, mostly because it played games and had a great homebrew scene. I brought that little baby with me on so many business trips and thanks to homebrew I could watch movies and listen to music on it. Ahh, those lonely nights in a Texas hotel watching Spoony's Let's Play Phantasmagoria 2.

Then I got a smartphone. The games are ass but it does much more with apps than the DS ever did with homebrew. My DS is very dusty. I have zero intention of buying another one. Nintendo needs a new gimmick.

Now where the hell is Capcom with their promised Android versions of the Phoenix Wright series?!?!?!?!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got the Zelda special edition 3DS with the fancy paint job on sale during Black Friday. I'll stick with that. I agree that the lack of a second stick on this new edition is just baffling. They knew it was a problem, and they are going through all the trouble of a redesign, but they still don't include it. Instead they opt for a giant size circle pad pro. It just makes no sense.

As for games, Ocarina is of course excellent, as is SM 3D Land. Mario Kart 7 is also easily the best entry in the series since MK 64. RE Revelations is also worth a look. I tried out the Snake Eater demo, and was very unimpressed. The framerate was LOW. I'm talking in the teens at times. And if you don't have a CPP, they expect you to aim with the face buttons, which is just awful.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    *NOTHING ELSE* on the system is even slightly interesting
    For me it's MK7, Pilotwings, Starfox, OoT and Kid Icarus.

The problem is that in this day and age it's pretty difficult to justify carrying around something that's merely a games device, especially if you're also carrying around the full suite of smartphone/tablet/notebook. It almost makes more sense to think of it as a console.

Network Hub
    The problem is that in this day and age it's pretty difficult to justify carrying around something that's merely a games device, especially if you're also carrying around the full suite of smartphone/tablet/notebook. It almost makes more sense to think of it as a console.
    This, plus the fact that SO MANY of the DS games I bought were absolute garbage and the prices are insulting. No matter how awful most smartphone games are, I'd have more value for my dollar buying 35 smartphone games instead of one DS game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I remember saying about 6 or 7 years ago that Nintendo should convert their gameboy/DS line into a platform, so we could buy a smartphone that had access to that library of games. Of course, I didn't expect them to do it... but it's what they should have done. GREE and DeNA are making a fortune now, and nintendo is looking very shakey, at least in terms of portables.

I loved my GBA micro and DS lite... but I haven't touched either since i got a smartphone.

I can understand Nintendo's reticence and lethargy in embracing the modern era, but Sony in particular needs a boot up the ass for not making Vita an Android device.

Incidentally, from what I hear 3DS is actually doing quite well, at least in Japan...
    Last edited by Rii; 30-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Activated Node
    The 3DS XL is like the DSi XL; it's a new, alternative version, not a new handheld. To add a second circle pad (especially so soon) wouldn't make sense as it would possible alienate existing 3DS owners. It's not really a 'double dip' by Nintendo either as it's not really an upgrade from the 3DS, just bigger because that suits some people (as the DSi XL showed).

For me it's MK7, Pilotwings, Starfox, OoT and Kid Icarus.

If your male you should get a manbag; or if you are female, carry your carry your handbag around more, or get a manbag.
    Last edited by Tams80; 30-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.