Thread: Piling On

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Piling On

I have never used the Piling On skill. I would like to check how it works if possible.

Am I right in thinking that you can reroll either the armour roll or the injury roll (but not both)? When do you have to decide to use the skill? Is it as soon as you decide to reroll?

I merely ask because I did some maths on my blog and found it far stronger than mighty blow, to the extent that I can't see why I shouldn't take it first on my killer pieces.

Many thanks for your help

EB

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It is better than MB on paper. In reality you do more damage with Mighty Blow as you tend to make more hits (Jump Up counters this to an extent), and you also get the occasional hit in during your opponents turn.

You decide to use it or not once the action has been completed, so either when you fail to break armour or after the injury roll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Am I right in thinking that you can reroll either the armour roll or the injury roll (but not both)?
    Yes 100% right

When do you have to decide to use the skill? Is it as soon as you decide to reroll?
    if you have it set to ask (not sure why you would? Maybe a religious opposition to stunning people?) It will pop up after the dice has been rolled for the first failed roll (armour break or injury roll).

I merely ask because I did some maths on my blog and found it far stronger than mighty blow, to the extent that I can't see why I shouldn't take it first on my killer pieces.
    The mathematics on it are mixed an AV 11 opponent is 200%(thus triple) more likely to break with mighty blow than without an AV 10 opponent twice as likely to break armour, but note this, mighty blow doesn't take away your tacklezones, make you prone, stop you performing a block action the next turn, interrupt a blitz or not work if the opponent uses fend (fenders can still be piled on if you push them into a stand firm).
    Many thanks for your help

EB
    You are welcome, its a good skill, but its probably best to get after mighty blow, unless you already have both block and jump up.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    It is better than MB on paper. In reality you do more damage with Mighty Blow as you tend to make more hits (Jump Up counters this to an extent), and you also get the occasional hit in during your opponents turn.
    Reassuring to hear that I'm not completely wrong on the numbers. I think there's probably some good synergy with grab on the other players, so pull people near the killer with grab and then make short blitzes every turn with the killer.

Theorycrafting eh?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

if you have it set to ask (not sure why you would? Maybe a religious opposition to stunning people?)
    Because a prone player exerts no tackle zones, gives no assists, and (unless it has jump up) cannot get as far next turn. Not to mention you might conceivably want to pass to him, or just run him further this turn to mark someone else. There is a whole host of reasons why you'd want 'piling on' to be an 'ask before using' skill.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Because a prone player exerts no tackle zones, gives no assists, and (unless it has jump up) cannot get as far next turn. Not to mention you might conceivably want to pass to him, or just run him further this turn to mark someone else. There is a whole host of reasons why you'd want 'piling on' to be an 'ask before using' skill.
    Also, the whole getting kicked in the face by a swarm of angry players thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    Also, the whole getting kicked in the face by a swarm of angry players thing.
    Is that possible? Surely kicking someone one the ground is cheating?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is that possible? Surely kicking someone one the ground is cheating?
    Only on turn 16!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Only on turn 16!
    Well, it's good to know I can have players prone or stunned for the other 15 turns risk free.