Activated Node

Installing Team Fortress 2 From DVD

Hi, my problem is that I would like to install Team Fortress 2 on my computer (free to play ftw!), but my internet connection has a usage limit unfortunately. As luck would have it, I do have a DVD copy of the Orange Box, but it is registered to another steam account. Is there a way that I can use this disc to install as much as TF 2 as possible, for me it just demands an activation code which would be rejected (it's been used)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I don't think this will work. I tried the same thing with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and got stuck at the end of the install when it asks for your Steam account. There was no way I could copy the files to my Steam directory to make the download faster.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Even if you could install it, you would still need to download a large quantity of updates. Those are probably significantly larger than the game itself.

Activated Node
    Hmm it's not looking too good, is it? Thanks for your help guys/gals, I'll probably just download it on another connection, and copy across the app folder.

Network Hub
    I don't think it's possible, and in any case, I doubt you'll save many bytes of the install size: almost everything that was in the original distribution has completely been replaced.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    If you've got another Source game on your computer, that should reduce the download size by a few gigs. Though by this stage TF2 is so massive it's still likely to be at least 5GB.

Network Hub
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

Step by step guide to installing a Steam game from disc.

But yes, like others have said you will still need to download a considerable amount of updates. This should lessen it some though.

piggy, where are you located? Maybe a kind soul near you can copy his tf2-install for you?

Network Hub
    Install it on your other steam account, then log back in with your new account. Steam shares the game folder across accounts

That's really weird. My TF2 disc has never asked for a key after the first time, presumably because I had the game. If you have the free version, I see no reason that it should need a key, because you "own" the game. Unless it doesn't show up in your Steam list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What about this?:

Use a USB to copy a friend TF2 folder to your computer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    That steam support link may not work if you do not have the CD key for that partiuclar disk.

Tei's suggestion (which was, like, totally nicked from JohnnyK) is by far the best. Copy a friend's version onto USB or DVD. Install TF2 on your steam account and pause the download. Go to
    <steam directory="">/steamapps/<your steam="" username="">/team fortress 2
    And paste the files from the USB / DVD there.

Resume updating and after a few minutes Steam should work out that the files have magically appeared there and you'll download a small amount.</your></steam>
    Last edited by Cooper; 27-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Tei's suggestion is by far the best.
    I feel ignored :(
    But at least it gives me something to talk about with my therapist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I have no idea what you are on about.

Brings a tear to my eyes, that does.