Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google announces 7" tablet from USD $199

Wot does RPS think?

Seems a slick piece of hardware for the price: Tegra 3, 1GB RAM, 1280x800 7" IPS, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Google sez they're selling it at cost (at least the 8GB version) and I believe 'em. It's like a Kindle Fire, but without the crippled OS. No card reader or USB ports though -- all your files are belong to the cloud.

Yeah, I bought one. If I don't like it, I'll give it to someone for Christmas. My depravity, it knows no bounds.

I picked up a Galaxy Note the other day, and I'm more than happy with its Tablet-ey capabilities. Cheap price though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    No card reader or USB ports though -- all your files are belong to the cloud.
    Pass.10char
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Interesting read on the genesis of the device:

The Verge: how a budget Asus tablet vanished -- and re-emerged as Google's Kindle Fire killer

So if the Nexus 7 has been coming for far longer than four months, what did Jonney Shih mean? Asus tells us that's how long it took to re-engineer, design, tool, and manufacture the ME370T into the immediately impressive Nexus 7 we see today. Among other things, it has a brand-new motherboard, a revised Tegra 3 T30L chip, a laminated IPS display, and a revised, grippier textured rear casing. "While the base design and setup was completed in the 370T to meet a certain price point and option list, the efforts required to get that design to $199 meant going back to the drawing board and starting over on just about every aspect of the unit," an Asus rep told us.
    But if Asus, Nvidia, and Google hadn't made it a priority to challenge Amazon's Kindle Fire, the ME370T could have been just another outdated Android tablet on the pile.
    To be honest I kinda woulda liked those stylus and micro-HDMI and micro-SD options for an extra $50...

In any case Amazon is due to announce a refresh of the Kindle line (or at least Kindle Fire) in the next couple months, it'll be interesting to see how their response measures up.

Most folks are talking about Google attempting to create space between Android and iOS in the tablet space, but it seems to me that creating space between Android and the imminent Windows 8 in the tablet space is also an important factor here.
    Last edited by Rii; 29-06-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Pass.10char
    Wifi is great, but what if my freaking router breaks.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

You can use the mini-USB port for data transfer with the aid of a converter cable.

The reviews I've seen so far have been positive; from The Verge:

Google’s Nexus 7 isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200. It’s an excellent tablet, period. In fact, it’s the first Android tablet that I can confidently recommend to buyers — and not just because it’s got a low price tag (though that certainly helps). It’s a well-designed, powerful, and useful product, with lots of bells and whistles that makes it feel like a device that should be more expensive than it is.
    Last edited by Rii; 29-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Pass.10char
    Same.10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You can use the mini-USB port for data transfer with the aid of a converter cable.
    So it DOES have usb? just a micro/mini port?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    That's gonna cost like 30k in India. If only some one could smuggle it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    So it DOES have usb? just a micro/mini port?
    Yes. It's for charging but apparently it works for data too.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7/specs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Pass.10char
    QFT

I 'm definitely being drawn to the idea of getting a tablet at some point in the future (the Surface Pro looks very appealing tbh), but easy device connectivity is a must. Mini USB is better than nothing, but it's not great.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 29-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Seems like a pretty decent price, perhaps I'll get one for my better half so she stops pinching my machine to stream shows :)

Network Hub
    I'm really tempted to get one, for gaming purposes. The Tegra chip walks all over the single core in my HTC flyer, Jellybean has native gamepad support, and it will run FPSE and other emulators great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Not interested. The Android tablet app sector is still a mess, so far nothing has managed to match my iPad. Before I hear cries of "fanboy" I have a Galaxy Note as my phone, which I adore. But honestly even at that price I wouldn't use it. My next tablet will probably be an x86 Win8 tab.

That said, I don't have an issue with connectivity - the last thing I want is for a HDD to hang off my tablet, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable tablet. I don't have issues with keeping important documents in the cloud; I've been using Dropbox (now Skydrive) for this purpose and it's let me keep an entirely forgettable backup system for when things go wrong which has saved me several times, plus it's great having everything available across all my devices without any effort. Still useless for pictures and videos though; I'd hate to sync 10GB of data just for all my photos.

No card reader is ridiculous though.

Network Hub
    No card reader or USB ports though -- all your files are belong to the cloud.
    Not at issue whatsoever. It has 16 or 32GB of internal storage which is loads, and it DOES have a USB port and wifi so you can transfer files that way. I like an app called ES File Explorer which allows me to transfer files via wifi (SMB protocol) and FTP.

Discs and memory cards are dead, baby!

I have a 7" Lenovo Android tablet and since I got my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I've barely touched my tablet. I wish I had a Galaxy Note "Phablet" (phone\tablet) because I love reading on my phone and a bigger screen would be even easier on the eyes. I don't expect to buy the Nexus tablet, but you can buy a top-end Android phone and this tablet and the combined price would be less than an iPhone.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Not at issue whatsoever. It has 16 or 32GB of internal storage which is loads,
    8 or 16 Gigs actually.

I will buy it, should it ever be released here (sigh).

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I will buy it, should it ever be released here (sigh).
    You can order it direct from Google right now, AUD $269 delivered with $25 Play Store credit.
    Last edited by Rii; 29-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    8 or 16 Gigs actually.
    Pardon me, my mistake. You're absolutely right.

Activated Node
    You can order it direct from Google right now, AUD $269 delivered with $25 Play Store credit.
    I should probably twirl my mustache like a super-villain now but I'm in Austria and "Devices from Google Play are currently not available in your country".

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Been waiting for something like this, and it looks pretty great.
    Though as Japan has no free wi-fi, and my data plan is kinda expensive/limited I'm a little worried about getting content on and off.