Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaK_ View Post
    I'd say just about the whole game actually.

edit : complete quote fail, that was about NOLF2.
    Truth. The trailer-park fight with ninjas is absolutely amazing. Just thinking about it makes we wanna run through both NOLF games again. It's a shame there probably won't be a 3rd.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    For an MMO map, I used to love Azshara in WoW (vanilla, it's ruined now), forever autumnal, with sea-cliffs and abandoned ancient ruins and with a mournful music track, it was out of the way, under-populated, under-used and quite different in feel from the other locations.
    I have some fond memories of exploring the coastline of Azshara and used to go there now and then just to chill in the Bay of Storms and fish some squid. It's a real shame everything in WoW has to have a purpose these days.

The harbour assault level in Crysis is probably the video game level I've played the most times. So many options and opportunities to ruin people's day in creative ways.

Every level where you got to play with volcanoes and lava in From Dust, though I suppose that might be more about the game mechanic than level design.

Yantar and Lab X16 in STALKER. I absolutely hated doing that bit of the game and never went back there, but no video game area has ever creeped me out so successfully before or after.

Old Aperture in Portal 2, because it managed a majestic feeling dereliction and threw space age jokes at you throughout.

The bit with the haunted forest in Trine 2.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Half life :
    The room with the microwave oven at the start (and the scientist who is annoyed because you blow up his coffee or w/e )
    It was a meal. And the best part: It gets mentioned again in Episode Two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Old Aperture in Portal 2
    Yeah, reinstalling.

Lots of games had some kind of megastructures in them but P2 is one of the few that got it right, which is expected from Valve since last game that did it right was first Half-life( and thats why Blast Pit is best level), but it just wasn't on that scale. In Aperture you feel that this place is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    The mission in Starlancer where you're patrolling your home ship, the ANS Reliant, and the CSS Krasnaya warps in and attacks her. A whole fuck ton of fighters warp in after, but its your job to ignore them and go for the torpedos threatening the Reliant. The mission had varying outcomes that would affect the campaign depending on how many torps you let slip through, so the pressure was really on. I can still remember the sound of every little console beep and laser flash having not played it in years.

All to this brilliant soundtrack:

Walking around the Reliant and Yamato between missions was also awesome, and something I've never seen since in a space sim.
    That mission is brilliant. I have vivid memories of me, desperately holding the afterburner button trying to get to every single torp before they hit the Reliant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    That mission is brilliant. I have vivid memories of me, desperately holding the afterburner button trying to get to every single torp before they hit the Reliant.
    This was a really good call: Starlancer has so many missions which get the heart pumping and this is definitely one of them. I'd say there is a slight crossover with the over thread though in that there were some levels which were a pain because of torpedo chasing. Why as I the only person who has to do it? It's not like my teammates are doing anything, the laser blasts on my ship can attest to that. And the number of damn times I'd fly into the torpedo or take it out when too close.

Oh for this game to come on GOG and get a proper Win7 version. There were too many mid-mission crashes last time I played it for it to be enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Darn. I'd blocked all the stupid torpedo chasing from my memory. I never much liked that in Starlancer or Wing Commander. I'd rather be dogfighting, and it really broke the illusion regarding my wingmates, who'd always studiously ignore the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    This was a really good call: Starlancer has so many missions which get the heart pumping and this is definitely one of them. I'd say there is a slight crossover with the over thread though in that there were some levels which were a pain because of torpedo chasing. Why as I the only person who has to do it? It's not like my teammates are doing anything, the laser blasts on my ship can attest to that. And the number of damn times I'd fly into the torpedo or take it out when too close.

Oh for this game to come on GOG and get a proper Win7 version. There were too many mid-mission crashes last time I played it for it to be enjoyable.
    Playing it in coop made the game incredibly easy even on the hardest difficulty. It seems that having two capable persons as wingmates breaks the game. That speaks volumes about the friendly AI.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Total Annihilation - for some reason, I remember playing "Crossing Aqueous Body 397" (23rd mission in the ARM campaign) over and over. I loved it to bits, and I haven't the faintest idea why it was my favourite of all the missions - perhaps it was just the sheer awesomeness of the mission title?

On a similar note, there was a mission fairly early on in TA:Kingdoms where you just got given a dozen drakes or something just offshore from a wonderfully busy and populated city - with the objective of "burn it to the ground!". Well, it was more "kill all the troops guarding it", but blimey, that game was so pretty that it was a joy to destroy Every. Single. Building.

The level/area I remember the most is probably the hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    It was the first thing that popped into my mind, so I probably remember that best, therefore it must be the most memorable.

Apart from that, it must be the first map of the Zeus and Europa campaign in Zeus: Master of Olympus. I probably remember it so well because I played it so many times for so long. Because I first played the game before I spoke proper English, I had no clue what to do, and kept trying to defeat that darn hydra with city guards, failing miserably, thus never getting to the next levels.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Modern Warfare - The Spectre gunship mission, the original, the one before that became mandatory in every game. Christ that was good.

CoD - Stalingrad. That mission was brilliant. Totally ripped off from Enemy at the Gates, but brilliant all the same.

Mass Effect 2 - Suicide mission. In spite of a silly last boss, it was the climax of the whole game, every consequence of the whole damn game came back to reward you or bite you in the arse. And the music, oh God the music. How good it was is made all the more starkly apparent by how bad the same section of ME3 was.

MoH - Omaha beach. Pretty much a mandatory mention, one of the first times a really memorable and cinematic scene was done in a game.

It's funny, now I actually think about it there aren't many scripted sections of games that really stand out for me. I have lots of distinct memories of games but most of them are self-made from an open ended game or area. Like an absurdly amazing 'skill' (read: luck) shot on an FPS, or a ridiculously against-the-odds win on a multiplayer game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Playing it in coop made the game incredibly easy even on the hardest difficulty. It seems that having two capable persons as wingmates breaks the game. That speaks volumes about the friendly AI.
    I imagine those ion cannon things were still bastards at times. Those missions were the worst. Wish I could have played the game in coop but where I came from there were few gamers, fewer pc gamers, and no Starlancer pilots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, but I wanted very, very much to have a big LAN party with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. There was a game that was ahead of its time by a few years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The Commando missions in the first C&C. They were so hard until you figure the right way to go!

* Doom mentions without Barrels of Fun? Strewth! Gotta agree on Tower of Babel too. Also the nightclub level on PSX for it's absolutely batshit insane soundtrack.
    * Doom 3, Delta labs - that bit with the bodies floating away, prior to a window shattering. Shat. My. Self.
    * The Borg ship in Elite Force. Also that bit with the ships of various species rigged together was great - Ever since this i've been unable to excuse games that have you traverse a variety of locations with all of them having exactly the same doors and buttons.
    * My first trip underground in STALKER. Every subsequent trip underground in STALKER.
    Last edited by Memph; 11-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Network Hub
    The scene in Grim Fandango where you have to reap poison victims in the living world just makes me beam with happiness.

http://metavideogame.files.wordpress...1081459316.jpg

Hijole, I'm gonna miss the poisoning!
    Stealth Mode!

Everquest when I did my first plane of fear raid.

I had just built a new computer with a surround sound system so stuff in the game that was behind me actually sounded like it was behind me. Wasn't quite used to it yet and after a wipe my monk was the guy who got to run out and /drag everyone's corpses back to our safe spot.

I remember going out on corpse runs scanning for anything moving, ready to feign death. Would find a corpse thinking I'm in the clear and then one of those damn silverback gorillas would start screaming from behind me, made me jump out of my chair everytime lol.

HL and HL2 both have some great moments in them.

Also all the old school like Wizardry and Bard's Tale. Mapping out dungeons on graph paper and watching as they took shape (The pyramid in cosmic forge especially comes to mind) are some of my best gaming memories.