Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing Wheels

Obscure Node
    I have had a whole host of Logitech wheels from the original official GranTurismo 3 Force Pro -> Driving Force Pro -> G27.

The only issues I have had with any of them is when they get older the potentiometers in the pedals start to weaken and occasionally will flutter on when you arent touching it (on my DFP, the brake would constantly be pressed down very minutely). But these potentiometers are very cheaply replaced and available on ebay.

I very much vouch for the G27, if you shop around you will find it for nearing 200 which is a very good price. I am using the G27 for Project CARS and love it, although haven't got enough confidence to go to H-shifter controls yet. If you look on the Project CARS forums there are lots of posts similar to this with lot's of replies from people who have used the G27 and competitors with real insights.

For my purposes the G27 works a charm and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I am not a hardcore sim guy though so cannot compare it's 'fidelity' to those of the Fanatec series etc.

Video of me battling with a touring car with the G27: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQi5KlLEmkM

Quote Originally Posted by oli_g89 View Post
    although haven't got enough confidence to go to H-shifter controls yet.
    Unless Project CARS has implemented a realistic transmission model, there's no confidence or skill to be had. Most sims just allow the player to slam the shifter in gear regardless of engine RPM, car speed and position of the clutch.

The only one which as proper transmission simulation (last time I checked) is LFS, and even then, competition pushes most people to use buttons in races because with every shift you lose time, given how many shifts are performed when driving at the limit, this can amount to a significant difference, especially over longer races.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    When I tried the H-shifting, I just kept locking up my rear wheels going into corners or stalling :/. Also I'm not used to the particular force-feedback yet so I don't think I would react well to one handed steering moments while shifting, again especially entering corners.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    The only one which as proper transmission simulation (last time I checked) is LFS, and even then, competition pushes most people to use buttons in races because with every shift you lose time, given how many shifts are performed when driving at the limit, this can amount to a significant difference, especially over longer races.
    Ah yes, LFS. Fantastic game. Shame the development is so slow that little has been added in the way of tracks and cars for about six years now. It's definitely still worth checking out if you're serious about racing games, though.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Shame the development is so slow that little has been added in the way of tracks and cars for about six years now.
    It's not really slow, it's more like stuck in hell ...since late 2008. S3 has been announced with at least a new laser-scanned track and some cars, but that was 3 years ago (how time goes by...)

And by the looks of it, the community is now beyond saving. ...I should probably give up all hope :(
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Cool, so you more or less have had 2 wheels for your money. Although not without problems of course.

I shall go for one then and see how it goes. I always feel a slight guilt trip when spending over 100 on anything. Well anything non essentiual to my well being as it were. Electric bill, car service and mot, new boiler etc, they're par the course. No guilt trip for that kind of spending, just sighs of glum resignation.
    car service and mot is such an annoying expense especially if garages are looking to exploit.