Free MMO which offers the same experience as UO circa 10 years ago?

So my only MMO experience to date has been playing UO on a busy pirate server over dial up about 10 years ago for a year or so.

Is there anything out there at the moment that offers the same sort of experience for free? I'm not really worried about combat and kind of want to just arb around becoming a blacksmith and selling kit to adventurers or something, roleplaying the middle ages and chatting to random likeminded folks. Maybe level up my combat skills just enough to do some exploring.

You know, just laid back shit.

I'm not worried about graphics and something playable on my Ion powered dual core netbook would be perfect.

I don't think anything nowadays would give the same experience of an MMO from a decade ago, certainly nothing free. There's just not the same sort of communities that there were for older games like UO, DAoC, or EQ had.

Network Hub
    I don't think there is anything quite like that.
    Making a name for yourself as a crafter who sells high quality gear is possible in Wurm, but it requires a grind investment completely disproportional to the enjoyment.
    Can't think of any other game. Maybe Ryzom, but it's still not the same.

Banned
    Why not play UO for free on a freeserver

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Why not play UO for free on a freeserver
    That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Can you recommend any decent shards that have a large userbase and are run well?

Obscure Node
    Try looking for an RP-enforced MUD, the MUD scene is still very much alive (I'm currently quite invested into one which has 100+ people online on average and gets updates weekly, might not sound like a lot but in a text world having thousands of people playing would be a messy affair). www.mudconnector.com might be of assistance if you choose to pursue the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Can you recommend any decent shards that have a large userbase and are run well?
    I've never found one. They never seem to work quite right.

Personally, I recommend EUO.

I feel I'm obligated to post about how much I miss SWG, in this thread.
    "Kiss the hand of the arm you cannot break, while praying to God to break it for you." - Arabian Proverb

http://www.uogamers.com/
    I've been playing on that freeshard a little bit, but I wouldn't call it "laid back shit" since there are quite a lot of PKs around. I like to explore on my own but got killed too often (because I'm not really good at the game), so I just gave up on it. Even though the high risk made it quite exciting for a while.