Thread: Tf2 4 free?

Tf2 4 free?

Ok, here is the thing. I HAVE NOT bought TF2 (dont ask). But just now a friend told me that TF2 has appeared on his list of games, just out of nowhere. So i checked and there were all my games, plus the 4 Play4free games steams has (the mmo) AND TF2! WTF is going on?
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Forget it, it's just TF2 free week... btw wtf is that?
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Not entirely surprising. Capitalise on what's already making a hell of lot for some.

At least the base game is generally speaking very good, although since the introduction of items, my fun in it has diminished somewhat.

i attempted to join the RPS server but it's on an old version of the game?

Obscure Node
    <a href="http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/">Confirmed!</a>

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RDFG View Post
    *Waits for Valve to announce Team Fortress 3*
    It'll take them ten years and it'll still be out before Episode 3.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ichbinspikeface View Post
    i attempted to join the RPS server but it's on an old version of the game?
    Try the PC Gamer server: unless there's an appropriate Steam event, the RPS one is all too often empty.

Obscure Node
    The RPS server was full most of yesterday afternoon/evening whenever I checked - the frontpage article containing the IP address was syndicated to the TF2 page in Steam, so there were lots of people asking:

"What is an RPS server??!?"
    "omg do the new items drop on this server?!"

etc. Still, was fun to play redfort again after so many months.

Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post
    Try the PC Gamer server: unless there's an appropriate Steam event, the RPS one is all too often empty.
    ah. cheers!

So bear with me, I own TF2 through the Orange Box but have never actually played it. Did it use to have a monthly subscription, or are they just referring to the fact that the game code itself is now free?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    So bear with me, I own TF2 through the Orange Box but have never actually played it. Did it use to have a monthly subscription, or are they just referring to the fact that the game code itself is now free?
    Nope, the game was entirely without any costs beyond the initial purchase. Later on Valve added an item shop which allows buying stuff for real money. Most of this stuff is just for the looks, though. Now the game is free to install but if you haven't bought it earlier, you have some minor restrictions like limited space for gear. However, just a single purchase in the item shop upgrades you to the "premium" version.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

It never had a subscription.

Its just you can play it without paying for the base game.

Yeah it just means that anyone who uses steam can go to the store and download the game for free, as opposed to paying the $9.99 or whatever it was to buy the game.

Network Hub
    Won't work for me as I bought a copy outside of Europe, and it won't work in the UK, and that's blocking my access to F2P. Bastards.

Network Hub
    I'd wish the lag grace for RPS's official server was more lenient so us Statesiders can hang with all the Tommies (I unfortunately live on the West Coast, which is the bit that's furthest from the UK, unfortunately. Alaska doesn't COUNT).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'd wish the lag grace for RPS's official server was more lenient so us Statesiders can hang with all the Tommies (I unfortunately live on the West Coast, which is the bit that's furthest from the UK, unfortunately. Alaska doesn't COUNT).
    The trouble is it's really horrible for everyone when there's high-ping players in the game. The way the client-side prediction works means you constantly get killed through walls or spend ages chasing flame-retardent spies around. Basically as if you were hacking.