Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Conspiracy Theory: ME3 Backlash was fake

This is not a a discussion about the end of ME3, just the 'fan' reaction.

This has been an idea that's been lingering around the back of mind like a bad smell in a poorly cleaned taxi.

I think most of the backlash was trolling. I'd go as high as 75%

I think a lot of the internet hivemind seems to be on some kind of Bioware hate train, though not without reason, they do have some dubious DLC practices. But then counter to that, internet crybabies couldn't get over that one member of their staff didn't play games and proceeded to attack said staff member online.

Too many people seemed to complete the game in too fast a time which leads me to think a lot of them were pirates who got the game early (Can a pirate have a valid opinion on art? Do they value what they play the same as a paying customer? - somebody should make a topic about that asap) or didn't play through the game fully, instead relying on youtube.

The vast difference between Metacritic user and review scores implies something was 'going on' too, plus Metacritic seems to be an easy target for raging internet trolls. The site has been attacked before. A lot of the user reviews talk about how the game was simplified despite the greater level of depth customization over the second game. More reviews from people who didn't play the game? I think so.

The time spent whining about the game also leads me to believe that it was children over adults making the fuss on the internet.

How many adults have the time to spend so long slandering a game over such a period of time?

How many adults have such unrealistic expectations?

Basically, I think the internet trolled itself into oblivion on this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Yeah, there are cases when community trolls itself into believeing things. Not sure if it indeed happened here, but I saw some other examples. I for one finished ME3, said "okay" and moved on. Not that I'm saying ME3 ending was great, but I thought it was passable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Hamburger Helper thing started before ME3 and I'm pretty sure she wasn't a writer for that game.

I only played the demo of ME3. I read about ME3's story and saw some videos. I think it's a fucking retarded concusion to a great journey. A great journey ending in a car crash is not that great after all! Is my opinion not valid because I haven't personally experienced the crash?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It was passable, but that's just it. ME1 had a truly great memorable ending, ME2 had a great ending with a STOOPID giant robot, ME3 had a passable ending.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Basically, I think the internet trolled itself into oblivion on this one.
    That doesn't even make sense. The internet tried to get some reaction out of itself? How does that work?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I think the issue was that it was passable, but with a hint that (maybe with, you know, some kind of editing?) it could have been fucking brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Of course there was trolling, and attempts to coordinate such trolling can easily be found on numerous gaming forums. Baiting the moderators with puns, for example, was a quite obvious trolling scheme - and not entirely unfunny at times. Was it 75% of negative responses? Who knows. Maybe it was, maybe it was 5%. There's no way to know unless you go about analysing who's posting, making which points, how long, etc.

I think a lot of the internet hivemind seems to be on some kind of Bioware hate train, though not without reason, they do have some dubious DLC practices.
    Hivemind? Hate train? In any case, more generally speaking, I think the context in which ME3 was released is important. A year earlier, Dragon Age II was seen as a disappointment by many fans of the original Dragon Age. There's that infamous sales numbers graph that shows sales numbers plumetting after the first two weeks as word started getting out about the game. This may have made people more critical when looking at BioWare. Then there was The Old Republic in the fall of 2011, which I didn't play, but I did hear of numerous people, including on this blog and forum, who were either disappointed or otherwise unimpressed by this MMO. A month before release, BioWare offered a demo for ME3, which showcased two zones that weren't exactly high-points of the series, had wonky animations, generally unimpressive texture work, and a storyline that had many people confused (the missing trial, the weird introduction of James, the kid, etc.).

Too many people seemed to complete the game in too fast a time which leads me to think a lot of them were pirates who got the game early (Can a pirate have a valid opinion on art? Do they value what they play the same as a paying customer? - somebody should make a topic about that asap) or didn't play through the game fully, instead relying on youtube.
    Too fast a time as decided by who? I played through ME3 on the weekend following the Friday release of Mass Effect 3, which took about 20 hours or so. Americans could have finished it by the time the European release rolled around by just playing a couple of hours a day. Besides, people who kept a clear schedule that week to play ME3 are perhaps the biggest fans of the series, though this must of course be a suspicion only. Not everybody can take time out of their usual schedule, after all. I don't see any reason to discount the opinions of the early-finishers, so to speak.

The vast difference between Metacritic user and review scores implies something was 'going on' too, plus Metacritic seems to be an easy target for raging internet trolls. The site has been attacked before.
    MetaCritic scores are not entirely inaccurate, though they do of course have their fair share of problems. You do, for instance, have to account for the numerous people that can't look beyond the Google/Facebook level of critique (LIKE!/DISLIKE!) and throw around 10s and 1s.

A lot of the user reviews talk about how the game was simplified despite the greater level of depth customization over the second game. More reviews from people who didn't play the game? I think so.
    What 'greater level of depth customization' is that? That's not sarcasm, it's not apparent to me what you're referring to. On the other hand, topics that come through in the criticism, and might speak to the simplification point, is the decreased amount of 'information'-dialogue options (traditionally the left side of the wheel) and neutral responses (traditionally the center-right option on the wheel). There were less squad members to go around in ME3 as compared to ME2, the ending wasn't more advanced in terms of tying it into the earlier game or even games than Jade Empire had been almost a decade earlier (the choice as to how to treat the dragon) etc. I don't want to declare support for any of these, but they were quite prominent and probably not entirely inaccurate.

The time spent whining about the game also leads me to believe that it was children over adults making the fuss on the internet.

How many adults have the time to spend so long slandering a game over such a period of time?

How many adults have such unrealistic expectations?
    Plenty, I'd say - but we'll never know what the demographic makeup of the disappointed ME3 fans is like.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 02-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Regarding "simplification": ME 3 brought back weapon customization, had a lot more weapons than ME2 and a deeper leveling system with mutually exclusive upgrade choices. I'd say mechanically it was a lot less simple than ME2 and arguably ME1, which had tons of weapons and upgrades, but very little meaningful choice involved in picking which one to use (most were just straight upgrades), while ME3 has a lot more interesting (and therefore meaningful) options to choose from.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    All I know is how I felt after playing ME3 and that was extremely disappointed. I avoided anything Mass Effect related on the internet from a few weeks prior to release until after I completed the game (as to avoid spoilers).

My feelings on the ending were completely unbiased, I love the ME series and have no malicious intent towards Bioware as a company. I just was really disappointed by the ending. Also the crap Tali photo.

As for the conspiracy theory? Bleh. I'm a skeptic at heart so you'll have an extremely hard time convincing me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Even if there was some trolling, which is possible for sure, the finale had some god awful writing. This is at least partially evident in the number of retcons made in the extended cut, along with just how obvious they were too. There's no way supposed trolling would have been able to have maintained itself if it wasn't based on some sort of substance.