Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Why the ending of Mass Effect 3 sucked in two words (the shortest length I could come up with): Screwed narrative.

That, in itself, means nothing though. What was screwed about it? Is that fully indicative of it? I watched all of the smudboy deconstructions on YouTube and they detail all of the reasons why it falls apart. Even if you think about the more obvious points brought up instead of the particulars, there's still a crap-load to be drawn to.

Really, BioWare's writing is bad and they should feel bad.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Not really, the dude just goes into in depth explaining the narrative flaws. Frankly given the amount of time you've wasted here arguing against peoples criticisms of the endings I'm pretty flabbergasted that you've not actually watched this (it's been linked to before on more than one occasion).
    Is there really anything in it that hasn't been talked about to death here already? Honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic
    Your logic is similar to me saying "Explain what is wrong with the current economy and why, in 20 words or less or their is nothing wrong with the economy.".
    "Money on computers isn't real money. Someone noticed."

Maybe that's why this whole ending thing rages on so much though. It's not one problem, it's myriad small issues, each of which bothers different people (closure, last minute plot twist, blown-up relays x2, war assets not directly linking in, no recognition of previous actions, no companions in final discussion and tons more).

I guess it's somewhat like the Stephen Roberts atheism argument* - everyone who doesn't like the ending finds that one or more of those things (or many others) bothers them enough to turn them off the ending. The rest they're not so bothered about. Therefore it follows that some of us won't be bothered by any of the issues enough to make us hate the ending.

*I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post

"Money on computers isn't real money. Someone noticed."
    Try again.

Maybe that's why this whole ending thing rages on so much though. It's not one problem, it's myriad small issues, each of which bothers different people (closure, last minute plot twist, blown-up relays x2, war assets not directly linking in, no recognition of previous actions, no companions in final discussion and tons more).

I guess it's somewhat like the Stephen Roberts atheism argument* - everyone who doesn't like the ending finds that one or more of those things (or many others) bothers them enough to turn them off the ending. The rest they're not so bothered about. Therefore it follows that some of us won't be bothered by any of the issues enough to make us hate the ending.

*I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    I don't think that's an apt analogy, nor do I think his atheism argument is sound, but I'm not going to get into that here. (note: I am an atheist)

Your new argument seems to be centered around disproving a statement nobody made about how it's impossible to like the ME3 endings. You've kind of abandoned your old argument and created a strawman here with this new one, so I do believe we are at an impasse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Is there really anything in it that hasn't been talked about to death here already? Honest question.
    Given you apparently didn't watch the video the first time around when the whole storyline issues were addressed months back I can't really say whether you've personally heard the arguments before or not. The extent of your seeming apathy to fully investigate a subject isn't something I account for I'm afraid. My recommendation is you man up and make the time to watch the video and decide for yourself.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

It's not one problem, it's myriad small issues, each of which bothers different people (closure, last minute plot twist, blown-up relays x2, war assets not directly linking in, no recognition of previous actions, no companions in final discussion and tons more).
    None of those things are small issues. Closure is what gives the entire story meaning, that lingering thought that is to be taken from it. Without appropriate closure, everything beforehand becomes unravelled and all you can take from it is "What am I supposed to take from this?" Last minute plot twists are rarely used because 99% of the time they suck. One of the reasons why the Star Wars one is liked so much is because it's one of the few examples where this actually is done well and fundamentally adds or changes the previous narrative in a positive way. Why does Vader want Luke to fight with him? Oh, it's because he's a Jedi-in-training and having one fight for the Empire strengthens them. Well, that's partially true, but really, there's a more intimate reason...

The relays are easily dismissed because the error with them is simple - the inconsistency was immediately ret-conned, but its overwhelming stupidity initially meant that the entire galaxy was wiped out. That's...a pretty good reason to dislike an ending when your setting and all the effort put into it to protect it is dismissed by your own actions, of which you have no choice in. The war assets is a massive element because we're introduced to them early on as a means to gauge our successfulness, but at the end it essentially equates to nothing more than an in-game progress chart and specific-codex that adds nothing, yet there was so much opportunity for doing so. It was one of the fundamental narratives of the entire game, but in reality it was near-meaningless.

The lack of recognition and interaction with squad mates is similar to the closure issue. Whilst imagination should play a large part in what happens, you still need a guide, otherwise you might as well just provide a set-up and go "Okay, whatever you want to happens magically happens." Worse though is that the entire series, again, has been about influencing the events of an entire galaxy. To have no idea of your actions, in an interactive-based play area, is one of the worst things you can do narratively. Again, it makes what you did almost meaningless.

People are rather against having their actions prove to be meaningless at the end of a considerable amount of time spent. Nothing about the ending's suckage was small. It was just awful. The extended cut doesn't even help too much, with some of the worst narrative failings still existing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Why the ending of Mass Effect 3 sucked in two words (the shortest length I could come up with): Screwed narrative.
    Failed promise.

I think "nonsensical bullshit" is the most apt if we are going for two words.

Screwed nonsensical narrative bullshit; failed promise.

How about that?

We could simplify that to just "bullshit".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    We could simplify that to just "bullshit".
    To be fair that works for the economy too.

I'm discussing, rather than arguing, gents. I find the sheer strength and force of the backlash to be intriguing in and of itself. Speculating on why is interesting. And why so many hated it but so many games journos didn't. It worked for me despite getting a number of things wrong.

And my dear Kad, I'm afraid I'll have to remain a boy as sitting and watching someone rant for 40 minutes about the ending is past my personal threshold of bother for this topic. I'll leave the manly video watching to the real men.

To be fair that works for the economy too.

I'm discussing, rather than arguing, gents. I find the sheer strength and force of the backlash to be intriguing in and of itself. Speculating on why is interesting. And why so many hated it but so many games journos didn't. It worked for me despite getting a number of things wrong.

And my dear Kad, I'm afraid I'll have to remain a boy as sitting and watching someone rant for 40 minutes about the ending is past my personal threshold of bother for this topic. I'll leave the manly video watching to the real men.
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but perhaps you are simply too ignorant of things such as science and logic to see all the glaring flaws in the ME3 ending.

As for game journalists, who cares what they think, they aren't even real people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but perhaps you are simply too ignorant of things such as science and logic to see all the glaring flaws in the ME3 ending.
    Could be it, I'll admit that I haven't read much sci-fi outside of Iain M Banks. Or maybe I find it easier to suspend disbelief.

On the other hand maybe people going into it having been told how bad it was were already set to nitpick and hate it.

I knew it was bad going into it (I got to the ending at least a week after everyone else) and initially thought it was okay. Then I realised, the more I thought about it, that it was bad. I think that was the extent of previous influence on a lot of people. Something bad is bad, whether or not you go into it being told so and agree, or discover it on your own. There is no conspiracy to the ending. There is no need to have specifically read SF to get why this ending was bad. ME is pulp sci-fi at its core, where there is a central idea/theme and the rest is established around the characters. ME3's ending failed because both of these were ignored or changed for no reason.