Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    The individual user scores obviously do not honestly represent the opinions of that particular user, but the aggregate of scores can be useful. For AAA titles with a high critic average, a low user score is a warning that something may be amiss. For a more obscure game with average or low critic reviews, a high score is a suggestion that the game may be strong if you like that niche. For a game that may have a lot of content or lasting appeal, the user scores may provide longevity information that professional reviewers do not have the time to investigate.
    I've generally found that professional reviews are almost entirely worthless when they are positive. They can be good for steering you away from a really bad game, but any game that is "AAA" tends to be extremely overrated. Usually reviewers completely ignore major aspects of the game (How many D3 reviewers touched inferno before doing their reviews?)

MMOs are an example of how broken the professional review system is. They have to pump out a review within a certain time frame for their magazine or website to draw readers/subscribers while the game is still fresh. This time frame makes it impossible for them to do anything end game related whatsoever. So the meat of the game is left unreviewed, which is unacceptable. It's a sad state of affairs really, journalists need to come up with a new way for reviewing online games and MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Just skimming the article, not much of it actually contradicts the rest of the game.
    I didn't say everything did - only that the ending does contradict the rest of the game. I was referring specifically thematically.

I wouldn't use [nor really care for opinions on] that article to explain the problems with the ending to anyone. Deano was insistent he not watch the more in-depth videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Is probably the best explanation.
    Last edited by DzX; 05-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DzX View Post
    You don't hate an ending that refuses to acknowledge the big reveal is directly contradicted by events of the game?

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect...ans-are-right/

The article doesn't go into the depth the videos do but it's a decent quick look at the subject [as from this thread you've seemingly stated you're yet to research the reasoning behind the anger.]
    Read and commented on that way back in the previous epic thread. Any plot-holes I saw in the ending were easily explained away in my head. Thematically it was odd in that it focussed entirely on one of many themes of the games, but at least that beats the Dark Energy idea some people seem to like which addresses none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You are making a giant mistake in assuming that the non-vocal players were happy with the ending simply because they didn't come to a message board to post about it.
    I'm not assuming that. All the arguments you make in your post are the exact reasons you can't say "everyone hated it" any more than I can say "everyone not posting on message boards loved it".

EDIT; Also why in the hell would you assume that the male/female Shepard rate would be 50/50? What are you basing that figure on? Why would you assume that all classes would be an even split? What figure are you basing THAT on?
    On a general feel based on what people talk about in forums. In threads like "What class will you play?" or "Male or Female Shepard?" - Though here's a random poll I Googled after the fact http://biowarefanclub.deviantart.com.../poll/2520994/ My point is simply that you can't extrapolate 90% of people on forums hate the ending therefore 90% of all people hate the ending. Because they're a self-selecting group that provably bear no relation to the total population.

Nor am I saying that everyone not posting on message boards hated it. My friends were split around 50-50 to be honest, none of them being on forums. Anecdotal, doesn't mean anything. Yes, the evidence we have from forums is the best we can get, and the best we're ever going to get (though expect to see a "Did you like the ending? Y/N" button in future Bioware games :) ) - so on the best evidence available, you guys are totally right. The problem is, the best evidence is shit. And we know that because we do have evidence on how differently Bioware 'fans' and dedicated forum-gamers react to the game compared to the total market.

That's the thing though, the ending completely ruined not just ME3 but the entire series for me. Mass Effect has become the gaming equivalent of The Matrix trilogy for me now.
    But you enjoyed the preceding 100 hours of gaming right? The only thing that the ending impacts on is the last five minutes, and what you'll get out of it when re-playing it.

And again, outside of our dedicated gamer communities, the vast majority of people won't play the game more than once so for them it isn't really relevant. The ending doesn't retroactively make the time you spent on all three games leading up to it no longer fun. So sure, you mark it down for a bad ending damaging the replay value if you really want to.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Read and commented on that way back in the previous epic thread. Any plot-holes I saw in the ending were easily explained away in my head. Thematically it was odd in that it focussed entirely on one of many themes of the games, but at least that beats the Dark Energy idea some people seem to like which addresses none of them.

I'm not assuming that. All the arguments you make in your post are the exact reasons you can't say "everyone hated it" any more than I can say "everyone not posting on message boards loved it".

On a general feel based on what people talk about in forums. In threads like "What class will you play?" or "Male or Female Shepard?" - Though here's a random poll I Googled after the fact http://biowarefanclub.deviantart.com.../poll/2520994/ My point is simply that you can't extrapolate 90% of people on forums hate the ending therefore 90% of all people hate the ending. Because they're a self-selecting group that provably bear no relation to the total population.

Nor am I saying that everyone not posting on message boards hated it. My friends were split around 50-50 to be honest, none of them being on forums. Anecdotal, doesn't mean anything. Yes, the evidence we have from forums is the best we can get, and the best we're ever going to get (though expect to see a "Did you like the ending? Y/N" button in future Bioware games :) ) - so on the best evidence available, you guys are totally right. The problem is, the best evidence is shit. And we know that because we do have evidence on how differently Bioware 'fans' and dedicated forum-gamers react to the game compared to the total market.

But you enjoyed the preceding 100 hours of gaming right? The only thing that the ending impacts on is the last five minutes, and what you'll get out of it when re-playing it.

And again, outside of our dedicated gamer communities, the vast majority of people won't play the game more than once so for them it isn't really relevant. The ending doesn't retroactively make the time you spent on all three games leading up to it no longer fun. So sure, you mark it down for a bad ending damaging the replay value if you really want to.
    Mass Effect is a story more than it's a game. The ending of the series completely ruined the games for me. I no longer have fond memories of the previous games.

Mass Effect 2 was pointless. I didn't enjoy ME2 nearly as much as ME1 from a story standpoint, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt as a "middle of the trilogy" story that intentionally left things open ended. I figured ME3 would resolve all of these things.

Mass Effect 3 made 2 entirely pointless. Literally nothing that happens in ME2 aside from the Arrival DLC needs to happen for 3's story to make sense. (Speaking of overarching plot here, not introductions to individual characters such as Mordin). In the context of the entire trilogy Mass Effect 2's story makes absolutely no sense and the events of the game served no purpose whatsoever. This means that I may as well have never played the game. What is the point of the collectors? Why are they building a human reaper? Why do the reapers need this to happen before they attack when the destruction of the human reaper has literally no affect on their invasion? We are told they are making another human reaper at the end of ME3 anyway, why couldn't they just have done that to begin with. What was the point of Mass Effect 2?

Let's come back to the "mystery of the Reapers" part again to hopefully get you to understand why the entire series was ruined for me. The simplest example I can give is that throughout ME1 and ME2 we are told by Sovereign and Harbinger that the motives are simply too complex for our simple human minds to understand. Sovereign tells us that Reapers are entire NATIONS of minds, etc, etc, etc. Fast forward to ME3 and the God Child informs us that the goal AND motivation of the Reapers is to protect and preserve organic life.... WAT? That was the super complex explanation that neither Harbinger or Sovereign could tell us because we wouldn't be able to understand it? It takes a nation of minds to understand THAT?!

Honestly I would have been happier if they never told us anything at all. If the crucible destroyed the reapers outright, simply made them go away, or even if it didn't work and the current cycle was wiped out. If everything was left unexplained I would have been ok with it. The crucible seems like a neat idea on the surface. It's a crazy device of sorts that has been designed and pieced together by various civilizations in different cycles dating back who knows how long. Cool idea, until the God Child arrives. Once they introduce the God Child the crucible no longer makes any sense. The God Child tells us we are the first to set foot in his chamber. Nobody knew of it's existence prior to Shepard. How the FUCK did they design the crucible then? You can speculate if you want, but leaving something THAT open to interpretation is poor story telling. The one and only logical conclusion is that whoever designed the Reapers also designed the crucible, but why? There are simply too many questions created by what is supposed to the CLOSING of a series.

tl;dr: God Child completely destroyed the entire series for me. I don't look at each game as an individual story but as separate chapters of the same book. The ending of the "book" was bad enough to negate any positives from the rest of the story for me. The universe and it's lore seem stupid and contrived to me now and I can never look at it the same way again.
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 05-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Read and commented on that way back in the previous epic thread. Any plot-holes I saw in the ending were easily explained away in my head.
    If your attitude toward plot holes in a series known for its very literal story-telling is to make up your own explanations to suit events you'll be happy with just about anything.
    Last edited by DzX; 05-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I've generally found that professional reviews are almost entirely worthless when they are positive. They can be good for steering you away from a really bad game, but any game that is "AAA" tends to be extremely overrated.
    Yep. It's extraordinarily rare to find a videogame reviewer with strong, identifiable tastes like you do with film critics. Or even one who will describe gameplay in a useful way.

Strangely, I find Zero Punctuation's nitpicking of everything tells me a lot more about a game than a typical review. I'd love to see serious written reviews in that style, aimed specifically at examining flaws: "this is a very good game, but here's everything wrong with it". Good luck selling ads for a site like that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Strangely, I find Zero Punctuation's nitpicking of everything tells me a lot more about a game than a typical review. I'd love to see serious written reviews in that style, aimed specifically at examining flaws: "this is a very good game, but here's everything wrong with it". Good luck selling ads for a site like that, though.
    Errant Signal does that to some degree though they're not really reviews.

The Max Payne 3 video does a good job of examining the games lack of consistency between gameplay and narrative, aside from nit-picking everything else in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx5MZfpQIEk
    Last edited by DzX; 05-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    No one expects anyone to hate the ending of ME3 here (there are lesser gaming sites and communities that can do that inarticulate 'rage' thing quite adequately) however one expects that the criticisms brought up by innumerable people regarding the ending can be assessed on the basis of their expression (the weight of the words themselves), not on whether they may or may not represent a majority viewpoint (which is frankly moot).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mass Effect is a story more than it's a game. The ending of the series completely ruined the games for me. I no longer have fond memories of the previous games.
    That's interesting and certainly valid. Memories can be changed.

Mass Effect 2 was pointless. I didn't enjoy ME2 nearly as much as ME1 from a story standpoint, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt as a "middle of the trilogy" story that intentionally left things open ended. I figured ME3 would resolve all of these things.

Mass Effect 3 made 2 entirely pointless.
    That's interesting actually. I felt the same about ME2, even before playing 3. It felt like it barely had a main plot, just some character stories. And what plot there was was awful.

To pose an interesting question, now we no longer have to give ME2 the benefit of the doubt as the middle of the trilogy, and hoping things would pay off (they didn't) - how good was the ending of ME2? The suicide mission was great, but the actual story ending, I thought it was way worse then ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    No one expects anyone to hate the ending of ME3 here (there are lesser gaming sites and communities that can do that inarticulate 'rage' thing quite adequately) however one expects that the criticisms brought up by innumerable people regarding the ending can be assessed on the basis of their expression (the weight of the words themselves), not on whether they may or may not represent a majority viewpoint (which is frankly moot).
    Right - but this thread is specifically not about the ending itself (hence why I'm mostly avoiding engaging with debating that in any more than a very general manner - feel free to bump one of the other threads if anyone wants to argue the specifics some more) - the thread is about the reaction. Which is probably the strongest we've ever seen against a game. Stacked against a very positive critical reaction and huge sales. I think it's interesting. I think it's worth discussing. I don't think it was a conspiracy like the OP, but I also don't think it's as simple as 'everyone hated it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    No one expects anyone to hate the ending of ME3 here (there are lesser gaming sites and communities that can do that inarticulate 'rage' thing quite adequately)
    The word 'hate / hater' is used so often during the first few pages I get the feeling this is some kind of in-joke I'm missing.

however one expects that the criticisms brought up by innumerable people regarding the ending can be assessed on the basis of their expression (the weight of the words themselves), not on whether they may or may not represent a majority viewpoint (which is frankly moot).
    It may be moot but that was the area of discussion Deano brought up - citing the fact that internet forums don't make up the majority viewpoint of players. It depends if we're discussing if/why the ending itself was so poor or the reaction to it. For the most part it's the latter, though Deano's desire to ignore the former has hurt discussion somewhat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is a spectacularly bad argument. The best video games, like the best of pretty much any form of entertainment, offer far more value than just the individual moments in which you were playing them. If there's a problem in the game that taints it globally rather than locally, then that problem has tainted every memory you have; it taints every discussion about it. For your average game you're probably not going to think about the game very much afterwards, so such a problem isn't a big deal, but when you have a series like Mass Effect that for many people was right up there as one of their favourite video game series then it's really bad to undermine it like this.

As an extreme example, suppose you've read a very intricate and detailed murder mystery which had you gripped and thrilled throughout, and kept you guessing and theorizing at every turn. If on the last page it was just revealed that a wizard did it, or it doesn't even tell you who did it, then you'd judge that book poorly, even though you only actually read the offending words for about 30 seconds.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Stacked against a very positive critical reaction and huge sales. I think it's interesting. I think it's worth discussing. I don't think it was a conspiracy like the OP, but I also don't think it's as simple as 'everyone hated it'.
    I feel like Occam's Razor is the most appropriate here; it really can be as simple as the fact that people really did just hate it. For critics, they have to knock back a lot of titles under a short amount of time so they don't spend as much time dwelling on matters and, for what it's worth, the majority of the game is definitely fantastic. It's why games that come out during the summer tend to receive more scrutiny because they have the time. The worst ending for anything is the one you have to spend time on because that's when you know it's really bad. If it wasn't, the people producing whatever product that was would more than likely have picked up on it themselves.

The only thing I'll throw in critics' favour is how they went about reviewing ME3 and thus derive a result - was it its own title or the trilogy finisher of a series? Even then...