System builder recommendations

My PC has finally given up the ghost, and I would like to buy a new one. I don't have the time or the competence to build one myself, and I haven't really kept up to speed on technology, so I'm looking for recommendations. Some parameters:

- I want a desktop, not a laptop
    - I don't care about brand names or cosmetic stuff
    - I have a probably-irrational preference for Intel and Nvidia
    - Budget up to 1k (less is better, of course)
    - I don't think I want a Dell, having had some issues with the last one (but willing to be talked round if Dell is now awesome)

If anyone can point me in the direction of a company that uses decent components and good QA I will be very grateful!
    Last edited by WombatDeath; 02-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

I've bought a Scan 3XS system in the past, was very good if a little pricey. However you choose components so you can keep the costs down if you want as well as satisfy your lust for Intel/Nvidia - although I don't think its wholly irrational, certainly not on the Intel front. I used to be an ardent Athlonaholic back in the old days - ahh the joys of the cartridge chips with the awesome launch struts mounting - but Intel have been fairly reliably been the superior choice for a fair old while.

Not had a need to use the QA as the system is still working fine after 2 and half years or so, although I've made a few upgrades since then, but I will say this: their cable management is a thing of beauty.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath View Post
    I don't have the time or the competence to build one myself....
    You would probably be surprised at how easy it is. It's not like years ago when you had to mess with jumper settings and such. It's really as simple as putting the components together (takes about 15 minutes) and then installing an operating system. I just built my current system last week, and I was telling my brother-in-law how it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishement anymore because it's so freaking easy to do.

But I completely understand not wanting to do it. There's always some uncertainty factor to deal with.
    Last edited by Stuie; 06-07-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Several online sites where I buy my stuff from (alternate and Gistron, although those are probably not in the UK), allow you to select your own PC components and then let the shop put it together for you. See if this is possible for you. Selecting your own components still is the best way to ensure that you have a good gaming PC without overpaying.

I always cringe at pre-build PCs: These days, they give them i7s (which is too expensive, as the i5 is just as fast when it comes to gaming) and a dedicated graphics card. So you end up with waaay to powerfull processors and underpowered GPUs and being charged a lot more then the setup is actually worth and aaargh.

Network Hub
    A lot of people recommend Chillblast.com for pre-built systems, and judging by a quick skim of their site their prices seem pretty reasonable (bearing in mind that a pre-built system will always cost more than buying the parts individually and assembling it yourself).

EDIT: For bang-on 1000 you can get a system with a GTX670, 3570k overclocked to 4.8ghz, 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD. Not bad at all really, that will max any game for quite some time.
    Last edited by Mistabashi; 12-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
    You would probably be surprised at how easy it is. It's not like years ago when you had to mess with jumper settings and such. It's really as simple as putting the components together (takes about 15 minutes) and then installing an operating system. I just built my current system last week, and I was telling my brother-in-law how it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishement anymore because it's so freaking easy to do. But I completely understand not wanting to do it. There's always some uncertainty factor to deal with.
    For someone who has never done this before, it really is an accomplishment. Think about selecting fitting components, finding them for a good price, reading up a guide or two on how to put the components together, then assembling the whole thing while thinking about how much money could go out of the window if you messed things up. Surely it is much less difficult than some years ago, but it took me way more than 15 minutes (seriously?) to assemble my first self-built PC.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    then assembling the whole thing while thinking about how much money could go out of the window if you messed things up.
    You can smash 2 hard drives and a motherboard on the ground with a 1000 euro custom pc and still have money left for better parts than your average 1000 euro premade...

Unless you are a klutz who would stab out your own eye trying to brush your teeth in the morning it is pretty hard to break something when putting together a pc.

The hardest part is probably attaching the cpu because it requires some force... but as long as you make sure the pins are aligned it goes fine every time. The rest really is babbys first lego duplo set in difficulty.

You don't even have to set fsb speeds anymore, you no longer have IDE cables that you could accidentally put in the wrong way around, and these days if you did do something wrong the mobo won't even let the pc boot up to protect the parts.
    Hell even if a fan or heatsink isn't properly attached/connected it will shut itself down before it overheats.

It's also extremely unlikely to not know a single person who has done it before and could help you out these days.
    And if you really have money to throw away and are that apprehensive, many pc shops will assemble the parts FOR you for 20-50 euros. (the shop I bought my parts for my last pc at did it for free)
    Last edited by Finicky; 13-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Advantage of pre made is having a warranty and customer support. Not every PC Gamer is computer savvy.

Even if you have put a computer together 3 years ago, it still takes a good couple of hours.

Unfortunately, I do not know any basic PC builder or PC enthusiast builder to recommend.
    Likes of Alienware(now owned by Dell) and FalconNW and others have lasted for years. They must be doing something right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post

It's also extremely unlikely to not know a single person who has done it before and could help you out these days.
    And if you really have money to throw away and are that apprehensive, many pc shops will assemble the parts FOR you for 20-50 euros. (the shop I bought my parts for my last pc at did it for free)
    Good idea also. Lots of PC part shops offer this service to do the building for you. Would just have to look into their warranty and what not.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not know any basic PC builder or PC enthusiast builder to recommend.
    Likes of Alienware(now owned by Dell) and FalconNW and others have lasted for years. They must be doing something right.
    What they're doing right is charging astronomical prices for mediocre hardware in shiny cases with lots of flashing lights, while spending the absolute minumum budget on quality control and customer service.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'd also vote for buying the components and having a local PC shop assemble it if you'd rather not give it a try, but of course I'd recommend you do it yourself. Not only is it easy these days, I see it as a part of what being a PC gamer is about. Sort of like assembling your own lightsaber before your peers see you as a jedi. I can see how it's not for everyone though. Hell I considered buying pre-built myself for my current rig, but I am glad I didn't as I saved almost $1,000 from prices I found online for my parts because I built it myself.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    You can smash 2 hard drives and a motherboard on the ground with a 1000 euro custom pc and still have money left for better parts than your average 1000 euro premade...
    Actually, the price difference is pretty small these days, especially because Microsoft no longer allows you to use an OEM version of Windows.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Actually, the price difference is pretty small these days, especially because Microsoft no longer allows you to use an OEM version of Windows.
    Who told you that? You can still buy OEM versions of Windows, and they still work just fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    Who told you that? You can still buy OEM versions of Windows, and they still work just fine.
    It's illegal though. And Microsoft told me (and everyone else) that.

Edit: Here, for example.
    Last edited by Sakkura; 16-07-2012 at 02:40 AM.